Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, ewerk said:

15 out of the 21 are now reportedly likely to vote for it.

So that takes us to 303 for the Tories. Still not a majority but assuming Johnson can strongarm the DUP, that's 313. Then it's just a handful of Labour rebels.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I would make no such assumption.

I would. Money can buy them, they've proven it.

Moreover, even if they don't, we are now probably looking at no possibility of the deal being voted through on the basis of a referendum - every vote going Johnson's way is a vote against that, I reckon. Minus the DUP who will vote both down if Johnson can't get them onside.

Well they've just announced they won't go for it so you're right so far, but then Johnson must be seriously confident he can win over a decent clutch of Labour rebels.

EDIT - if he gets all 19, he's done it.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I would. Money can buy them, they've proven it.

Moreover, even if they don't, we are now probably looking at no possibility of the deal being voted through on the basis of a referendum - every vote going Johnson's way is a vote against that, I reckon. Minus the DUP who will vote both down if Johnson can't get them onside.

Not sure I follow this. They voted against the original WA didn't they, despite the bribe. They are consistently stubborn. This deal is clearly  a pathway to a United Ireland. 

Just now, Renton said:

Not sure I follow this. They voted against the original WA didn't they, despite the bribe. They are consistently stubborn. This deal is clearly  a pathway to a United Ireland. 

I guess I'm mostly just unsettled by their flip-flopping. Also, for some reason I just seem unable to believe that anyone on the right is capable of a principled stance on anything.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Well they've just announced they won't go for it so you're right so far, but then Johnson must be seriously confident he can win over a decent clutch of Labour rebels.

EDIT - if he gets all 19, he's done it.

Workers rights have been stripped from the WA. I am fairly certain Kinnock and Nandy won't go for this, don't know the others well enough. 

Just now, Renton said:

Workers rights have been stripped from the WA. I am fairly certain Kinnock and Nandy won't go for this, don't know the others well enough. 

I hope to god you're right, I couldn't stomach this being delivered off the back of Labour MPs. Not that I can stomach it anyway.

On the DUP - does "will not support" = "will vote against"?

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I guess I'm mostly just unsettled by their flip-flopping. Also, for some reason I just seem unable to believe that anyone on the right is capable of a principled stance on anything.

How have they flip flopped?

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

How have they flip flopped?

I swear just the other day they were making positive noises about all of this. Even this morning it sounded like they could be brought around.

I think Johnson will narrowly lose on Saturday (or not so narrowly if the legal text is very unpalatable to the ERG) and use the result to feed his parliament vs people narrative, attacking all the opposition parties, in particular Labour. Dunno what will happen about the extension (this is another reason labour rebels shouldn't vote for this though).

22 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I swear just the other day they were making positive noises about all of this. Even this morning it sounded like they could be brought around.

That was when Johnson was promising them a Stormont veto so they could crash the whole thing before it came into being. They had no intention of ever operating the backstop and the EU have removed their veto.

Just now, Renton said:

JRM taking the piss here. Saturday is going to be a vote on Johnson's deal or no deal apparently. What time does the Benn act kick in on Saturday? 

Yeah, this was always going to be the angle. It's actually fascinating political theatre. If only it was happening in the US instead.

Ronnie Campbell says he'll vote for it. Ronnie Campbell categorically does not have the mental capacity to make this decision. It's bad enough that there are people in the electorate that thick, never mind in the actual HoC. 

If NORN (Who voted 56% Remain) can stay in the single market and customs union, why cant Scotland (Voted 62%) do the same?

Nothing to see here, just the Tories and Unionists of the UK casually ushering in the break up of the UK

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If NORN (Who voted 56% Remain) can stay in the single market and customs union, why cant Scotland (Voted 62%) do the same?

Nothing to see here, just the Tories and Unionists of the UK casually ushering in the break up of the UK

The fact that it would involve border checks between England and Scotland would be a problem for starters.