Holidays 2013

Christmas Tree

:lol: This is a lads trip. They still all want to see the fucking mosques though, I couldn't give a fuck. Food tips would be quality as I'm expecting the food to be gash tbh.

I'll get you some restaurant tips. Dont worry, I'll tell the fucker not to recommend his uncle's kebab shop.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its what we were thinking, not amazing but cant really go wrong. I've been to Gran Canaria for a week away with the lads about 15 years ago and it was cheap and cheerful. Looking to go upmarket these days but no idea which of the Islands is the nicest. Any insights on that? Why Lanzarote?

Purely force of habit, I think, but it also feels a bit more grown-up and quieter than Tenerife (which I went to a couple of times as a kid) and Gran Canaria (which I've never been to, but I know a few annoying gays who swear by it, so that's enough to put me off). Puerto del Carmen is certainly a bit clubby/karaoke-y in places, especially in season, but if you go to Costa Teguise or Playa Blanca then I reckon it's the best of both worlds, quiet enough to have a good family break without the loudest end of the Brit contingent - and upmarket enough if you want to spend a few quid and make it nicer than just plain "nice", accommodation-wise - but still not actually outright posh or anything.

I went to fuerteventura in my early 20s. Must chafe chosen the wrong Canary. It was piss poor. Entirely purpose built and lacking in charm but was cheap so fitted the bill at the time.

Only been once to Costa Teguise, some nice food to be had there but probably rate it as the shittest holiday we've had. It wasn't horrendous by any stretch just the hotel was a bit naff, we went in May which we wouldn't normally do and the Missus was pregnant with our first child and wasn't in a great fettle.

Really want to go to Mauritius, Maldives, Reunion or somewhere like that but cant be arsed with 12 hours in a plane with a 2 year old. Got a week booked off from March 16th and we're thinking the Canaries for sun and not too far.

Canaries in mid March might not be as warm as you expect, and its still nearly a 5 hour flight. Caribbean is a better bet than Mauritius imo, which I personally didn't like much. Iirc though you went to reunion a few years back,how was it? Terribly French I imagine.

Edited by Renton

I went to bora bora on honeymoon. Probably going to have to wait another 15-20 years for another holiday like that. There were no kids allowed at the place we stayed. It was bliss. Over water bungalow with direct access to a lagoon.

Canaries in mid March might not be as warm as you expect, and its still nearly a 5 hour flight. Caribbean is a better bet than Mauritius imo, which I personally didn't like much. Iirc though you went to reunion a few years back,how was it? Terribly French I imagine.

I know what temperature it is :lol: Never been to Mauritius but been to the Caribbean a few times. Jamaica, Barbados and Cuba (and The Keys). Reunion is amazing, the 'cirques' are beautiful, we did helicopter rides over them and big hikes. The Canaries are only 4 hours from here so it's there or Turkey basically. Not doing long haul with the little one, not fair on her.

I know what temperature it is :lol: Never been to Mauritius but been to the Caribbean a few times. Jamaica, Barbados and Cuba (and The Keys). Reunion is amazing, the 'cirques' are beautiful, we did helicopter rides over them and big hikes. The Canaries are only 4 hours from here so it's there or Turkey basically. Not doing long haul with the little one, not fair on her.

wait a month and just go to south of your country. Tenerife is a bit shit, I should know because I've been there eight times.

It's -1 here, not counting on it being warm in a month, even the south is freezing. Got to take holiday that week anyway, that's why I'm looking there. Just need to kick back with my girls and let go of the daily grind, traveling with work loads knacks you up. Need a beach and if its 22c I'll be happy. There's a hotel which has a day-time child minding service for under 4 year olds, which is a lot harder to find than you'd expect. I'll be in the south of France all August too, so not arsed about that. I'd prefer to go further afield (thinking Turkish resort too) but that's life.

It's -1 here, not counting on it being warm in a month, even the south is freezing. Got to take holiday that week anyway, that's why I'm looking there. Just need to kick back with my girls and let go of the daily grind, traveling with work loads knacks you up. Need a beach and if its 22c I'll be happy. There's a hotel which has a day-time child minding service for under 4 year olds, which is a lot harder to find than you'd expect. I'll be in the south of France all August too, so not arsed about that. I'd prefer to go further afield (thinking Turkish resort too) but that's life.

Sorry, was a but influenced by the vino last night when I wrote that. Tenerife is what it is, but if you've got a nice hotel then you'll have a canny time regardless. I just happen to love places like Cannes and Nice though.

Off to lake Garda myself in June. Fantastic place but ludicrously expensive, not helped by the pound crashing against the euro. Thanks George.

Back from Madrid. Was fucking superb, cheers for the tips Chez. Those Spaniards know their way around a family bucket of KFC.

:lol:

Did you find the Mercado San Miguel? Did you try the ham? I bought a load of decent chorizo and Iberica over the weekend, think we are having it this week with a 10 year old Spanish red.

:lol:

Did you find the Mercado San Miguel? Did you try the ham? I bought a load of decent chorizo and Iberica over the weekend, think we are having it this week with a 10 year old Spanish red.

Did I fucking what! I went twice it was so good-once on Friday evening and again on Sunday afternoon. Heaven. Just milling about the place eating like a pig and pouring rioja down my throat at a sensational pace. Just perfect.

one important info for boat tours through Bhosphorus, here is the schedule,

Here is the schedule http://www.sehirhatl...cruise-362.html

the best way to start from BESIKTAS port, then the boat will visit every little towns next 3 hours...

finally- You MUST go the town called BEBEK by the Bhosphorus, at any evening- this is the one in a kind place- you walk along the sea, see the beautiful mansions, which prices varies 15-150 Million USD if you fancy buying one- and great place to have caffee or Turkish Deserts- especially place called LUCCA- http://www.luccastyl.../#/en/home-page

try not to look around too much because you hardly see many beautiful women in one place like that- but the atmosphere is great-

another A Must Go Restaurant called HAMDI

http://www.hamdi.com...urunler〈=en

call them and reserve a table with view of Galata Tower- and make sure you don’t eat 1 full day before go because you want to taste everything but everything.

then you can go to Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Hagen Sophia, Blue Mosque and this placehttp://www.yerebatan.com/ also Topkapi Palace- however I would make it timetable - for example if you want to have full tour for Topkapi palace you need to spend minimum 4 hours.

And some tip for security

Istanbul is 15 million people live and twice as big as Paris however twice as safer than Paris. It is relatively safe place, and we, Turkish people very friendly- don’t look at me, I am an outliner.

So, when you ask address, all people try to speak English and try to help you

However there are some tips I will give you

- Like anywhere in the world, you should bit more careful in the crowded streets for panhandlers, sometimes people ask money, just refuse them- they are not too many though

- If you would like to use Taxi- please use taxi which belongs to Hotels. All taxis are yellow color, and if they belong to Hotel, you can read the name of the hotel by side door- when you use them, you wont surprise with the taxi bill-

Otherwise it is so safe city to walk around and explore…

and rest of the good place to go, eat and shop :

www.360istanbul.com excellent view of Istanbul- it is on ISTIKLAL Street, in Beyoglu- actually this street full of everything, You must go there, lots of things, kids and you will enjoy.

www.beyti.com Adres : Orman Sok. No:8 - Florya / ISTANBUL tel:0 212 6632990

one of the best Kebab house- a bit far but worthwhile to go.

www.borsarestaurants.com

this restaurant is member of “Chaine Des Rotisseurs” all Ottoman style of foods, very traditional, but you need to call in advance, you never regret it.

www.setbaliklokantasi.com this is the fish restaurant I am talking about, we, all local people go this restaurant, very affordable, very delicious fish and you must drink RAKI too. please call in advance if you want to go Friday,

Set Balik Lokantasi

Haydar Aliyev cd. No:18, Tarabya

34467 Istanbul

T: 0212 262 0411 | 262 3498

www.sofyali.com.tr check this out, my favorite place to drink and eat, they accept kids as well.

Le Grand Bazaar: so my friend when you go the Grand Bazaar, this is the restaurant you go for lunch: HAVUZLU- ask anybody they will show you.

6)havuzlu restaurant

Orient Bazaar Mollafenari Mh., 34120 Fatih / Istanbul

(0212) 527 3346

www.fescafe.com after the lunch, you need to drink Turkish Coffee- so this is the place for Turkish Coffee and Traditional Turkish deserts. close by to Havuzlu Restaurant.

www.abdulla.com next to Fescafe, good shop and your wife will love it.

www.istinyepark.com ISTINYE PARK is MECCA for Shopping!!!!!!! no more words, go there with good credit card limit :)

Edited by ChezGiven