Thatcher Dead

trophyshy

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, regarding this Ding Dong download, here's a thought, why not have a campaign for people to set it as their ring tone?

It'd certainly heighten exposure if you could get enough people to buy into it quickly enough. A twitter trend might do it? - I think it's the principle of censorship that's getting me though. Who are the Daily Mail and Telegraph to dictate to the BBC? And why did the BBC listen?

Ultimately I'm just pissed off by how little of a damn the government gives about our (the North) opinions on the matter.

Taken from N-O.

Just watched Return Of The Jedi. Disgusted by the distasteful scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. He may have been divisive, but he was strong and he made decisions and stuck to them, and I think he should get a bit of respect. He was, after all, a little old man who died, when you remove any other context whatsoever.

I know my folks street had a very high percentage of people out of work on Thatcher's watch, my old man* had almost two years out of work and trips with him to the jobcentre were an eye opener. I also know during the early nineties I worked a year 5-6 days a week, (sometimes 7 days) for a year with no break at all as I was employed 'temporarily' and was entitled to no holiday time, no holiday pay and was on half the wages of the 'permanent' employees. (To even ask for time off was a serious black mark against you, at the time I needed the money and experience so had to bite my lip but I was burned out and my health and temper suffered). The Unions should've been on this but of course good old Maggie 'who sorted them out' had completely hamstrung them and it only took the European Union forcing equal rights on a reluctant government for some sort of equality to get back into the workplace. That's what she and her party mean to me. Watched a programme last night about buying property and selling it after renovation. A rundown, shit looking apartment in a drab set of flats in Islington went to auction for £392,000 and was expected to get £2,200 per calender month if rented out. That is over what my household income is per month and I consider I've a decently enough paid job. That says everything you need to know about the North/South divide which has got bigger since her time in office. Fuck her party, her sympathisers and she'll be remembered for what she was and stood for. By the way, any numbnut citing the Falklands can fuck off too. Our Forces were woefully short of equipment and resources and were sitting ducks for the Argentine Air Force. Hard work, bravery and bits of luck recaptured the Falklands, nothing to do with her. (You could go further and say the Garrison should've had more soldiers there in the first place as there was intelligence to suggest the Argentinians were up to something but her Government did fuck all until it was too late and risked all on a 8,000 mile gamble).

*No 'Scrounger' but a hard working bloke who didn't fancy 'getting on his bike' as Tebbitt wanted him to do to get work as he'd already had 12 years on his bike serving his country and wanted to settle down in his home town with his family.

A rundown, shit looking apartment in a drab set of flats in Islington went to auction for £392,000 and was expected to get £2,200 per calender month if rented out. That is over what my household income is per month and I consider I've a decently enough paid job. That says everything you need to know about the North/South divide which has got bigger since her time in office. Fuck her party, her sympathisers and she'll be remembered for what she was and stood for.

Amen to that.

Thanks for sharing, I've only a limited knowledge of what went on as I was a bit young at the time, but I've tried to read as many stories as possible of what people went through (hence that Guardian article over the page) and it's staggering, it really is.

I've also tried to keep it balanced by reading the "positive" stuff, but there's absolutely nothing in there to justify what happened.

Amen to that.

Thanks for sharing, I've only a limited knowledge of what went on as I was a bit young at the time, but I've tried to read as many stories as possible of what people went through (hence that Guardian article over the page) and it's staggering, it really is.

I've also tried to keep it balanced by reading the "positive" stuff, but there's absolutely nothing in there to justify what happened.

For an extra bit of balance you might also want to read about the winter of discontent and how the unions regularly brought the country to its knees.

Quite hard to imagine in this day and age missing the match because of power cuts or not being able to cook tea for the kids.

That's not to excuse the shit that people went through, but if you truly want balance then you should understand what lead to Thatcher and why she was constantly re-elected.

For an extra bit of balance you might also want to read about the winter of discontent and how the unions regularly brought the country to its knees.

Quite hard to imagine in this day and age missing the match because of power cuts or not being able to cook tea for the kids.

That's not to excuse the shit that people went through, but if you truly want balance then you should understand what lead to Thatcher and why she was constantly re-elected.

To be as balanced on this as possible, my understanding is that something needed to be done for the country, but that the way she did it was horrific. She left the people who worked in the industries she shut down with nothing, hence creating the benefits issue the Tories rail against today. It was a social experiment born out of true need for change, but then Hitler could probably claim as much about what he did.

I read one of those personal stories where they were paying policemen from London to come up and kick the shit out of strikers, in front of their families. If ever there was evidence of a North-South divide, that's it - probably also the source of her re-elections. Indefensible, it made me utterly ashamed and appalled to be British (although I seem to have been in that position since the coalition to be honest). That's the sort of thing you'd get in North Korea.

I will continue reading, but honestly mate, some of the personal accounts of this...she sounds like an absolute monster.

Edited by Rayvin

I know my folks street had a very high percentage of people out of work on Thatcher's watch, my old man* had almost two years out of work and trips with him to the jobcentre were an eye opener. I also know during the early nineties I worked a year 5-6 days a week, (sometimes 7 days) for a year with no break at all as I was employed 'temporarily' and was entitled to no holiday time, no holiday pay and was on half the wages of the 'permanent' employees. (To even ask for time off was a serious black mark against you, at the time I needed the money and experience so had to bite my lip but I was burned out and my health and temper suffered). The Unions should've been on this but of course good old Maggie 'who sorted them out' had completely hamstrung them and it only took the European Union forcing equal rights on a reluctant government for some sort of equality to get back into the workplace. That's what she and her party mean to me. Watched a programme last night about buying property and selling it after renovation. A rundown, shit looking apartment in a drab set of flats in Islington went to auction for £392,000 and was expected to get £2,200 per calender month if rented out. That is over what my household income is per month and I consider I've a decently enough paid job. That says everything you need to know about the North/South divide which has got bigger since her time in office. Fuck her party, her sympathisers and she'll be remembered for what she was and stood for. By the way, any numbnut citing the Falklands can fuck off too. Our Forces were woefully short of equipment and resources and were sitting ducks for the Argentine Air Force. Hard work, bravery and bits of luck recaptured the Falklands, nothing to do with her. (You could go further and say the Garrison should've had more soldiers there in the first place as there was intelligence to suggest the Argentinians were up to something but her Government did fuck all until it was too late and risked all on a 8,000 mile gamble).

*No 'Scrounger' but a hard working bloke who didn't fancy 'getting on his bike' as Tebbitt wanted him to do to get work as he'd already had 12 years on his bike serving his country and wanted to settle down in his home town with his family.

Interesting post, cheers. Saw my Dad yesterday, he absolutely despises Thatcher for similar reasons, he's livid about the funeral at the tax payers expense. That's right, as they effectively censor DDtWiD, we're paying for her gushing send off. Sickening.

Of all London clubs, I'd expect Millwall to be the least pro-Thatcher. Any excuse for a fight though I suppose.

Could be blustering from the Telegraph to keep protesters away I suppose.

more bollocks from you, what a surprise.

The winter of discontent was a couple of months of strikes by the public sector to try and get a few extra quid a week, just happened it was during the coldest winter for decades.

In order to change things for the good a few bags of rubbish not getting collected for a couple of weeks is fuck all.

I lived in the 70s and don't recall much hardship. Sure the electric strikes were earlier than Callaghan too.

The early 80s however........

The power cuts were mainly caused by the oil crisis rather than the unions.

As Rayvin said the winter of discontent was pretty brief - if you want to pick a couple of bad months to characterise a government then the pickings for 79 to 90 are legion.

1233200.jpg

1233204.jpg