West Brom vs Newcastle United

2bias

and the PERFECT time to do that is during a relegation battle. :up:

:lol: Thing is, assuming we stay up, if we're in the bottom half dozen at the end of September he'll either be sacked or under huge pressure. Last weekend damaged him, not fatally, but he's "winged". Derby disasters put all a managers failings into sharper focus.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's backed accordingly & we're still doing poorly fair enough but I think we'll be a lot better with a second striker - of some capability (Cisse needs a foil - it's a lot easier to be caught offside if you're playing up top by yourself-) and lack of europe. Happy Face might give you the stats - but I think only Chelsea and Spurs have played more than us this season - both with bigger better squads & one with our most dangerous striker as of January.

People go mad at him for using injurys/fitness as an excuse but yesterday was our 50th game- with a squad practially every journalist said wasn't big enough. Our success last year was built from the back and based on a stable team. You pretty much knew who was going to play & it's never bad football when you win & Demba/Shola long ball wasn't bad at all - although the football in the 4-3-3 was better. We haven't had anything approaching a stable team this year and it doesn't help that the captain threw the towel in.

I think he needs to get on the phone to Fergie for some tips on the 4-2-3-1 mind & I think I'd rather see Campbell than Shola next year - would rather have seen him in the derby too.

He says what he's told to say but to be fair the board said they'd made mistakes. I wonder if they'll say the same in summer?

We are one of the top 20 richest clubs in the world - I'd bet every single one about and a good 10-15 below have better striking options. If they don't think they have to spend they wont & even when it came to the January window we lost our main target and didn't secure another.

Pardew hasn't been great this season - but it's a lot easier to play a poor card when your hand is poor.

Why be so adamant that we can't replace him adequately?

Manager Criteria (By Mike and Derek)

1. Is he an old mate.

2. Does he go drinking with us.

3. Does he already work for the club.

4. Did he used to work for Spurs/West Ham

Why be so adamant that we can't replace him adequately?

Ok. what's the shortlist?....who would come that's better?....am not saying its impossible, but think about it....looking at this summer I think Bentiez would be the absolute pinnacle of expectations but he'd want real money so he's a non starter iyam. Anyone else who would come who has regularly got a team into Europe?...am not suggesting David Moyes would ever come to us, but that's not a trick even he can pull off under similar financial conditions

Would people show any patience - a lot of people don't like the ''hoofball'' we turn to but they couldn't tolerate a lot of Liverpool's football or shit atmosphere.

Would people show any patience - a lot of people don't like the ''hoofball'' we turn to but they couldn't tolerate a lot of Liverpool's football or shit atmosphere.

Yeah it could be argued that Benitez is just Pardew with knobs on, very pragmatic. He's got something though, good at cup ties etc..It showed he's got real fuckin balls taking the Chelsea job too.I think he'd be a good appointment but don't for a minute think he'd even talk to us.

Benitez would be a big improvement on Pardew but he's always used rotation a lot and for that you need a squad. He'd need big money & decent wage.

He's seen as a bit of a joke by some people but you can't argue with the results he gets.

Aye, our fans start moaning loudly when our defenders pass it to each other like. If its not a forward pass they get grief at home.

Daft

Quite a lot of the home crowd seem to tolerate the dirge that Pardew is serving up so there's no reason to suggest that they wouldn't tolerate it.

Can't see Benitez here.

Wonder if we'll have another word with 'arry when QPR go down.

Oh god I hope not, we've never had a manager I hated before they came here.

I wouldn't want Souness or Redknapp to be honest. Both dinosaurs and neither would want to come anyway.

think the souness comment was more aimed at my comment of never hating any of our managers before they came to us

If you were a successful manager with no ties to the club, and we came to you offered 1/3rd of the going rate as your wage and told you how our transfers worked, and that previous managers had been lied about and paid settlements after we'd lost court cases, plus what you've read/witnessed in the media yourself.

Would you want to manage us?

We won't pay the wages, and most managers won't want to work with our transfer policy.

That's why i'm adamant, i'd be happy to be proved wrong but can't see anything to prove otherwise yet

And i honest to god can't think of one manager who we could attract that would be in that bracket, the only way we could hope to get one is if we picked one up that had some sort of scandal ruining their rep so they had limited choices. (or were coming from a much poorer league wage wise and even our lower amount would be an increase, maybe france/holland i guess)

A good post, and something those that are calling for Pardew to be replaced need to consider. There's no evidence to suggest we will be in the market for a manager better suited to the current set up than Pardew. What top class manager is going to work under the conditions he does? I can't think of any. I'd like to think that if they do sack him, they have a top drawer manager siting on the wings but if you look at their previous, it doesn't seem likely.

In the past 25 years - how many 'top drawer' managers have we appointed. People also need to consider that.

2?

One wasn't 'top drawer' at the time and was an ex player and the other was from the area and supported the club.