Why do County Durham fans ........ Blah blah blah ........ Outed Mackems thread.

bobbyball

Why is it that for the 5th time this season i have had to try to justify my loyalty to Newcastle United and be threatened with violence because i allegedly sound like a Mackem. Because of the constant abuse myself and mates have received it is getting to the stage where i think is it worth it. Just because i dont live and wasnt born in Newcastle doesnt make me less passionate about my club. 3 of my mates got hit on sunday for sounding like mackems.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that for the 5th time this season i have had to try to justify my loyalty to Newcastle United and be threatened with violence because i allegedly sound like a Mackem. Because of the constant abuse myself and mates have received it is getting to the stage where i think is it worth it. Just because i dont live and wasnt born in Newcastle doesnt make me less passionate about my club. 3 of my mates got hit on sunday for sounding like mackems.

Weird isn't it?

Man Utd fans from outside the area, who choose United to support, don't have any problems.

They only get flak from supporters of other clubs.

There are quite a few Geordies who support Sunderland, I wonder if they have your problem.

Weird isn't it?

Man Utd fans from outside the area, who choose United to support, don't have any problems.

They only get flak from supporters of other clubs.

There are quite a few Geordies who support Sunderland, I wonder if they have your problem.

people dont realise that is easier supporting your team if you live local. And to answer your question the lads who i know who support the SMB get no bother because they dont come from Sunderland

Its the Mackems' fault - when I used to go away by train in the 80s and early 90s there were loads of fans from Durham as far down as Darlington and even parts of teeside who all travelled together with no bother. Both Newcastle and Sunderland had fans from all over the north east and by and large everyone was happy with that.

Then the Mackems decided to claim the "Mackem" identity to counteract its use as an insult and at the same time polarise themselves by denying any links to being generically "Geordie" - thus pissing off a lot of their fans from South Tynside and Northumberland in the process.

Unforunately a side effect of this was to make Newcastle fans from the city more insular as well and start thinking that Durham/South of the river = Mackem when in truth the area as whole still has many grey areas.

Its the Mackems' fault - when I used to go away by train in the 80s and early 90s there were loads of fans from Durham as far down as Darlington and even parts of teeside who all travelled together with no bother. Both Newcastle and Sunderland had fans from all over the north east and by and large everyone was happy with that.

Then the Mackems decided to claim the "Mackem" identity to counteract its use as an insult and at the same time polarise themselves by denying any links to being generically "Geordie" - thus pissing off a lot of their fans from South Tynside and Northumberland in the process.

Unforunately a side effect of this was to make Newcastle fans from the city more insular as well and start thinking that Durham/South of the river = Mackem when in truth the area as whole still has many grey areas.

There is many things you can pin on the mackems door but not me mates 16 year old son getting smacked cos he doesnt sound like a Geordie

Personally I thought John Hall, and the stupid 'Geordie Nation' shit, caused a lot of the change in perception.

And none had so much as a scarf on I suppose? You're talking shit.

And none had so much as a scarf on I suppose? You're talking shit.

so you dont think this happens ? and the answer is no nobody had any colours on but again when you have to travel back to areas where you are outnumbered by Sunderland its not a wise move to wear Colours.

so you dont think this happens ? and the answer is no nobody had any colours on but again when you have to travel back to areas where you are outnumbered by Sunderland its not a wise move to wear Colours.

What, not even a scarf you can put in your pocket? What the fuck do you do if your filling's giving you gip?

Edited by Renton