BT Broadband

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should haggle over everything. In my sofa selling days, the pricing was done like this.

Cost: £500

Retail £1300

(This allowed for profit and being able to offer interest free credit).

Some people would just pay the full price, others would play hard ball and get the price down to £850.

used-car-sales-2.jpg

I seem to recall that the problem with streaming from a prosecutor's point of view is that if everyone is using WiFi then it's really difficult for them to prove that it was your device that accessed the content, and not say, Joe Bloggs in the street just hijacking your connection. That seems to be the argument that people have put forward successfully in the past.

That said, it's still better to have proxies in play.

I think Netflix has done more to combat illegal streaming than prosecutions. If content was priced reasonably (Netflix) and not mentally (Sky, the Premier League) then they would face much less of this kind of issue.

EDIT - the Music industry being a good example of this. Who illegally downloads music these days?

Edited by Rayvin

I've bought, sold and rebought hundreds if not thousands of albums over the years. I don't think AC/DC, Pearl Jam, The Who etc. lose anymore money from me downloading an old album for free versus buying it 7th hand on eBay for £1.50

I make a point of buying music from smaller bands though. I'm not a total bastard

My point was more that it's got to the point where illegally downloading music is more hassle compared to just grabbing it through Amazon. Prime has loads of free music for instance, most of what you want you don't even have to pay for anyway (technically).

The ethics of the situation are entirely up to the individual, but I wouldn't judge anyone for illegally downloading.

Ah I guess if you're buying albums... I tend to buy single tracks for about £0.70p and think little of it. I suppose it all adds up.

Google had a service not long ago (which they've since withdrawn, the bastards) where you paid £7/month and could stream youtube music videos on your phone with the screen off, and download them to play offline. They're still running it in the States but it fell foul of some kind of legal thing over here. If it comes back, I think that'd be a good proposition for people like you. Instead of paying £8.99 for an album, you would pay £7 for as many albums as you want each month.

EDIT - That said, I assume that this is what Spotify does too. I've not used it but I'd guess the principle is the same.

Edited by Rayvin

Backing CT on this one, streaming is not covered by any law against the consumer. It is absolutely illegal to broadcast someone else's content, but there's no case (yet) of anyone being tried under copyright infringement for consuming (you're not copying in this instance).

How do I know about this? My country has just put in a copyright law and it was stated at the time that consumption can't really be covered as there's no legal precedent yet.

Edited by scoobos

Backing CT on this one, streaming is not covered by any law against the consumer. It is absolutely illegal to broadcast someone else's content, but there's no case (yet) of anyone being tried under copyright infringement for consuming (you're not copying in this instance).

How do I know about this? My country has just put in a copyright law and it was stated at the time that consumption can't really be covered as there's no legal precedent yet.

Which country is that? Out of interest.

Says the bloke using kodi on a fire stick to watch films ;)

I don't really tbf. I have a Netflix and Amazon prime subscription but they seem to be more tv based rather than films. Saying that I've probably spent less than £30 on films via cinema or DVD over the last four years.