Where do we go from here then?

Anorthernsoul

A few things I would address if I had a magic wand!

Either someone new or someone to stand up and make left back their own. Not convinced by Santon and personally think he'll be gone in the summer. Haidara might come good but doesn't look good enough if we are talking about a team good enough to push for the top 8.

Obviously Coloccini situ needs addressing so at least two first rate centre backs.

Not convinced by Debuchy yet but hoping a full pre season with us may help him full fill all the hype.

Sissoko and Cabaye would be my choice of midfield pairing.

Being a wing fan, would love two see some decent wing merchants brought in or Fergie given a run.

Ben Arfa I think will be away.

Finally two new strikers. I would happily have Carrol, particularly if we are going to be stuck with Pardew but he would ideally be the go to sub and a more fitting partner should be found for Cisse.

I would still have Marveaux ahead of Cabaye and Sissoko but again I can't see that happening under Pardew.

Cabaye has played in front of the back 4 all season and looked shit. Sissoko and Tiote making up the left and right wings of said diamond is in CT territory man :lol:

You're in agreement on all the other stuff though :D

Either someone new or someone to stand up and make left back their own. Not convinced by Santon and personally think he'll be gone in the summer. Haidara might come good but doesn't look good enough if we are talking about a team good enough to push for the top 8.

Obviously Coloccini situ needs addressing so at least two first rate centre backs.

Not convinced by Debuchy yet but hoping a full pre season with us may help him full fill all the hype.

Being a wing fan, would love two see some decent wing merchants brought in or Fergie given a run.

Finally two new strikers. I would happily have Carrol, particularly if we are going to be stuck with Pardew but he would ideally be the go to sub and a more fitting partner should be found for Cisse.

I would still have Marveaux ahead of Cabaye and Sissoko but again I can't see that happening under Pardew.

As long as we're sorted for a keeper and midfield 2 then :lol:

...and you're the one most adamant that Pardew has the world class players and should be getting more from them.

After doing very well last season with little expectation, we've under performed and scraped survival this season when we expected so much more. So it begs the question, what do we aim for next year?

I'd like to see at least a couple of strikers signed in the summer and we need to strengthen in the centre of defence. We've got to be aiming to break into the European places next season, I reckon Ashley will stick with Pardew again aswell.

What makes you think they are going to sign better strikers

Cabaye has played in front of the back 4 all season and looked shit. Sissoko and Tiote making up the left and right wings of said diamond is in CT territory man :lol:

Tiote has been shit for the last 2 seasons. Get rid of him.

As long as we're sorted for a keeper and midfield 2 then :lol:

...and you're the one most adamant that Pardew has the world class players and should be getting more from them.

I did say magic wand territory ;)

And knowing you like clarity, I've said all season that Pardew has good enough players to achieve better results than he has. Yes. :)

So what's your point re: Cabaye, play him behind the back 4. He's a central midfielder but i would not play him advanced as he cant run with the ball and has no pace. His best position is as a playmaker, i'd just stick him in a diamond. Quite right about Tiote.

Sissoko on the right, Snodgrass on the left, Tiote on the bench, Rush goalie.

I did say magic wand territory ;)

And knowing you like clarity, I've said all season that Pardew has good enough players to achieve better results than he has. Yes. :)

We've under-achieved?

Congratulations Captain Obvious.

:lol:

Drama queen when I went on about after 10 games and captain obvious looking back.

Well done, all basis covered :)

We're 7 points off West Brom, take a look at some of our games over the season where we performed well enought to get more points from the game but luck and a depleted starting 11 stood against us. Its very easy to see us making up those 7 points, we're in 8th and yes you're a drama queen. ;)

We're 7 points off West Brom, take a look at some of our games over the season where we performed well enought to get more points from the game but luck and a depleted starting 11 stood against us. Its very easy to see us making up those 7 points, we're in 8th and yes you're a drama queen. ;)

Just as lucky that one went in off Cisses arse in injury time etc etc etc

So what's your point re: Cabaye, play him behind the back 4. He's a central midfielder but i would not play him advanced as he cant run with the ball and has no pace. His best position is as a playmaker, i'd just stick him in a diamond. Quite right about Tiote.

Sissoko on the right, Snodgrass on the left, Tiote on the bench, Rush goalie.

I've liked Snodgrass this season too....he has good delivery from both sides....hes a bit like Milner i.e works hard, not hugely pacey and doesnt really have a trick, but may be a better player in the long term just due to the quality of his balls into the box.

Just as lucky that one went in off Cisses arse in injury time etc etc etc

The manner of the goal was fortunate, but we wouldn't have scored it if we'd sat back deep in our half and settled for a point. We pushed forward and attacked them, and it paid off.

Personally think Haidara looks pretty solid. I reckon he is a better defender but Santon offers more going forward. Id maybe rotate them depending who we are playing. Debuchy on the other side Im happy with. We've seen glimpses of how good he can be and I'd like to see how he is next season. I just dont see the full backs as a priority.

Centre halves are a worry. If colo goes I think we have two ok options but both seem to play much better along side someone with assured confidence. I'd go all out for another woodgate/colo player, has to be a priority.

Our midfield has been shit this season despite being littered with talent. For that I think AP has to take some blame and look at how he is using them. But with Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko for the middle and HBA, Marv, Jonas for the wings (Id move on Obertan) we have some good options you would think. Id be getting rid of Gosling as well and from really not liking him, I think Perch gives us great back up in a number of positions (ala Aaron Hughes). If I was shifting on Obertan and Gosling I'd look to bring in a winger who could put a good ball in (none of ours can). That would be new + HBA on the wing with Marv / Jonas on the bench. Id also likely start with Cabaye and Sissoko in the middle and Tiote/Anita/Bigi as back up.

Up front I'd like to see a target man. If we insist on these long balls we need someone who can picked them up and Id be more than happy with AC but still think it would be a tough deal to pull off. I like Gouffran and would have him as an option there.

So basically

In : Target man, commanding centre half + maybe a winger who can cross

Out : Obertan, Gosling, Colo (sadly if you goes), Amalfitano,

Plenty of kids as well who could be used now and again

As we don't pay big wages or pay big transfer fees,we are left with unknown foreigners or half decent players from other poor/average premier league clubs to chase.We need defenders who can defend,a wide player or two who can get a ball into the box and Andy Carrol up front.We need to keep HBA to make things happen of get rid for big money and bring another player to do the same job.

Forget about seeing off Gosling and Obertan if they're not out of contract as who in their right mind will pay them a wage let alone give us a transfer fee for them?

This for me is a difficult question, because it feels like we already have quite a few of the players required to excel - yet this season showed that we have some fundamental problems and lack depth.

Firstly, we need to replace Demba Ba, Peter Lovenkrands, Leon Best and Shola Ameobi. One starting striker and two or three of serviceable quality at least one of those young and with promise.

With Coloccini unfortunately looking to be gone bringing in a good communicator and reader of the game at the back is crucial. Though Taylor and Mbiwa have not had much of a chance as a partnership the early signs do not look good and so that senior experienced defender is required.

In our fullback positions we're in a decent position, even with the re-injury of Ryan Taylor's knee. Debuchy has had a horrible start here, but I'd like to think that he'll therefore be doubly keen to prove himself in the toughest league in the world next season. Santon lost interest in the second part of the season, when the going was rough but before that he contributed quite well. Defensively he has a lot of room to improve. Haidara looks to be an excellent player IMO. Favours his left, so will push down the wide channels and can whip in powerful dangerous crosses. Defensively he's quite strong and is relatively quick. Between these three we should be able to put out a soild set of fullbacks. Perch looms as the emergency fill in, and with a new central defender or two on the way (in my plans) Mbiwa can also move into a wider position in a pinch.

Our midfield is somewhat perplexing. We've seen Tiote at his best - making the simple passes with amazing consistency, breaking up the opposiing play and offering an effective shield to the defense - and also this season at his worst - shooting ridiculously from distance over and over, attempting impossible passes and dribbling himself into trouble. If he can somehow be coached back to being the effective defensive midfielder of old then it's well worth putting up with his more than occassional silly challenge. If not - then I don't have any more time for him. Cabaye is somewhat similar - at his best he's capable of striking the ball with precision and picking out inch perfect passes, but at his worst he's disinterested and lazy. I hope that we've seen more of the latter this season because he's not been fully fit and because of the negative predicament we've found ourselves in, and therefore with a clean slate next season we can see him return to a more consistently high level. Having the afforementioned workman Tiote alongside him feeding him the ball will certainly help.

Out wide and creatively HBA is an exceptional player. Used effectively he's an unstoppable game changer. Hopefully he's still here and remains injury free. I like the look of Gouffran, quick with fast feet and a pretty good footballing brain, we could do a lot worse than him. Obertan has outstayed his welcome. Marveaux is frustrating. anmd as such can't be relied upon. Best used I feel as an option off the bench. Like others have noted we do lack a wide midfielder with crossing ability - so the addition of one to compliment our new strikeforce would be nice.

In goals, Krul is good. Elliot has promise (good distributer) but strikes me as lazy. Carrying more weight than a professional footballer should IMO.

OTF - regarding Elliot being lazy, couldn't be further from the truth mate!

Maybe not, but then what's the extra weight from?