BREAKING FUCKING BAD **Spoilers**

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't realise there was a thread for this, just posted in another.

Just been watching a season re-cap to get me in the mood,

forget what I said in the other thread, i'm now extreamly looking forward to this! and i've just had a deadline at work moved forward so got to work evenings on a project, dammit!

Been wondering about the timeline...trying to piece together clues :)

Breaking-Bad-JPG.jpg

That's up to Season 5 Episode 4.

In the opening flash forward of Episode 1 of season 5 (part 1) long haired Walt is celebrating his 52nd birthday with breakfast in a cafe which is a 30 hour drive east of New Hampshire (the girl serving asks if he's headed to California), that would basically have him back in New Mexico (non-stop driving like). God-knows if he has actually been over to the East Coast but he looks disheveled enough to have done that drive. The opening flash forward of the new episode is just after that.

So it's a full year away from the events we're seeing now with Jesse and Hank. 4 and a half full seasons to cover one year, 9 episodes to cover another year. So I expect 8 months of that is "Walt goes on the lam".

Because I'm absolutely convinced that it is going to happen!

and (spoiler removed!) that something bad might happen to Flynn/Walter Jr. that involves a car. More specifically, that he will die in the Challenger Walt bought him.

Edited by ADP

This is excellent. As bad as the internet can be when it comes to long running TV shows, some of the theories people formulate are great. Breaking Bad hasn't topped the most insane LOST theories yet but what can?

breakingbad_color.jpg

The final eight episodes of Breaking Bad began last night. It’s been a brilliant show throughout, mastering tension, continuity, and the ultimate character arc to create something special. It’s the attention to detail that makes the show great. And that attention to detail extends as far as the colors worn by the various characters. I’ve tried to illustrate it with an infographic showing every color worn by the characters most affected by Walter White’s decisions, along with Walter himself.

It’s presented chronologically, and there are individual character timelines for noteworthy events.

There are a lot of patterns that emerge, so much so that each character has an identifying color.

After Walt’s cancer diagnosis, his colors become stronger, and eventually go black. When the cancer returns or when he’s defeated, the drab khaki returns. The closer he gets to Gus, and the stronger his ties to blue meth, the more blue shows up in his barcode.

Skyler starts out blue, but turns dark once she starts to figure out Walt’s secret. Her timeline turns deep blue, almost purple, as her flirtation with Ted grows, and then it turns green once she discovers Walt’s stash of money. The more complicit she becomes in Walt’s criminal activity, the blacker her timeline gets to the point that it’s pitch black in Season 4.

Hank begins orange, with tints of yellow and peach. But when he suffers through the turtle bomb, his colors turn brown—often deep brown. Then after fighting off the cousins (and the subsequent drab/pastel colors of recovery and depression), he slowly gains his color back after he re-involves himself with the Heisenberg case.

Jesse’s angry (and occasionally deadly) color is red, while his drug recovery tones are more drab and subdued. Just like Skyler, the more Jesse is affected by Walt’s influence, the darker and more black his timeline becomes. He also wears a lot of mixed clothing—primarily black, gray, or white, with wild red or yellow patterns, suggesting moral conflict.

Walter, Jr. is very much a supporting character whose color choices often reflect whichever parent he relates to most at the time. When Marie is in the hospital coping with Hank’s injuries, Walter, Jr. wears purple, seemingly in support. When he helps Hank or is around Hank, his colors are complementary. It’s unfortunately not reflected in the timeline, but Junior wears a lot striped or multi-colored shirts, often bearing both Walter and Skyler’s colors. It’s a sign of Walter, Jr. being stuck in the middle between the two as they hash out their differences.

What makes Marie noteworthy isn’t that she wears all purple, all the time. Rather, it’s the very rare occasions when she’s not wearing purple that practically scream at the viewer. For instance, she wears black when her kleptomania flares up. She wears black again when she’s in protective custody of the DEA after the threat on Hank’s life at the end of Season 4. And then finally, she turns yellow just before Hank makes his massive discovery at the end of the first half of Season 5.

It’s fascinating stuff, and it’s clearly the result of a fierce attention to detail by Vince Gilligan and all of the incredible crew that make this show. Enjoy the final eight episodes, everyone. And keep an eye on those colors.

This is excellent. As bad as the internet can be when it comes to long running TV shows, some of the theories people formulate are great. Breaking Bad hasn't topped the most insane LOST theories yet but what can?

I love some of the details they spot in shows that would otherwise pass me by. Oranges FFS, did anybody make a link to other episodes or even the Godfatherr?! great stuff!

Yeah, the Oranges motif is a well known one.

Sopranos used it too. For example Tony buys orange juice and then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdvjMbCawkk

It's so ubiquitous now that any appearance of an orange in anything you watch should make you tense.

The myth of the oranges was a motif unique to The Godfather films, but has since been scattered throughout those directors who were students of Coppola’s films. In Sam Mendes’ American Beauty, a bowl of oranges can be seen at the kitchen table where Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) meets his tragic end. In Children of Men, the midwife is eating an orange in the car just before it is attacked and Julianne Moore’s character is killed. Darren Aronofsky also employed oranges in Requiem for a Dream. Harry and Ty (Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans) go to a supermarket to score smack in bulk. The infamous druglord sits in the back of an orange truck, peeling oranges while junkies and small-time dealers try and get their hands on the product. It isn’t long before there is a shootout, sending everyone scrambling. The appearance of oranges in film, as you can see, indicates tragedy for a character or disaster for any number of characters.

obviously i'm not down on my orange references!

It was more the fact that they have been used several times throughout the series, I'm usually good at picking up on subtle background stuff like this. maybe if I had know what they were refereeing too i'd have noticed them more often.

And for all the series i watch, Soprano's is one i'm yet to! (hangs head in shame)

I have to say that I haven't been Breaking Bad's biggest fan but it got to the point where I had watched so much of it that I thought I'd finish it out. The beginning of the finale looks like it might just pay off.