Our defensive set-up

Anorthernsoul

Or lack of it. Do we even work on anything defensive in training? We shipped 60+ goals last year, with arguably the best keeper in the league yet we haven't addressed the problem in any fucking way.

Lack of meaningful posession is at the heart of the problem. We defend for long periods with no proper outlets it seems. Plus the def screen (Tiote or whomever) have gone backwards and seem panicky at all times. We rarely even step up properly. it's a bad mix of these basics.

Tiote offers absolutely fuck all in terms of protection, almost to the point that he isn't there.

and yet he used to be a monster.

i was struck yestrerday at the massive gap between our midfield and defence. tiote should go back to just sitting in there and preventing opposition attackers receiving the ball in acres of space between the lines.

it looked like we'd gone back to basic rigid banks of 4 at times yesterday. dinosaur football tbh

Edited by Dr Gloom

Mbiwa wide is not what I want to see.

Pardew should be drilling players with their specific roles in his team...or if they come into the team. When there's injuries, don't move a player out of the position they've trained for, bring in the cover we have for that specific position, whatever level they are currently at. In this case Dummet.

Agree totally Happy Face, why the fuck we keep playing good players out of position is beyond me.

It damages them, and takes them out of their comfort zone completely, Sissoko, Arfa, Mbwia, Anita, Tiote, the list just goes on of Pards trying to make people "Total Football" when they are still learning the league and their trade. We seem to have a redevelopment policy, not development.

That said, if Ashley doesn't sanction buying players for the positions he needs wtf is he supposed to do.

Probably in a minority but I have sympathy for Pardew at the moment, and for most of last year, hes getting fucked over by lack of resources. I always thought Pardew had potential if only he got time to learn a good style for NUFC, hes got no chance with a skeleton squad and the rug pulled out from his feet every six months.

Finally, on topic, I thought we did have a defensive strategy, build from the back, defensive work from forwards etc - problem is we are shit at it. Krul was legend last night, the City fans thought he was mint, they also had good things to say of sissoko, but I didn't think he actually played as well as he could last night, seemed tired.

Lack of meaningful posession is at the heart of the problem. We defend for long periods with no proper outlets it seems. Plus the def screen (Tiote or whomever) have gone backwards and seem panicky at all times. We rarely even step up properly. it's a bad mix of these basics.

Our possession stats weren't that bad last season.

I felt sorry more for Debuchy in our whole defence. He had Ben Arfa and Sissoko in front of him and both of them left him really exposed. Sissoko started to cover up on the left hand side strangely whilst Ben Arfa went missing in defensive duties but you expect that of him.

You look at that Man City team though and a lot of defences will struggle. I think our mistake was not letting Dummett play. The kid had the pace to keep up with Nevas and seemed to have enough to keep his threat down compared to Mbwia.

I think Mbwia will come good though. Maybe not this season but next, got to remember he is only 23 which is young for a defender up against the likes of Dzeko, Augero, Nevas, Silva, Toure, Fernandinho. The only player we have that comes close to them boys is Colo far less any of our other defence.

Sadly, I think Danny Simpson was a miss last night. He wasn't a fancy defender and he had his moments. He was solid though. Funny how we went down hill when Debuchy started.

Also, I agree that Pardew got dealt a raw hand last season and its looking that way this season. We can all see that the team was set up for Cabaye to be playing and being our outlet for the pass to slice open City. Pardew had 2 choices, change the system on the day of the match which he had been working on for a week or play Gutierrez in with the hope it would work. I don't blame him for the option he took. It was safer.

A midfield of Cabaye, Tiote and Sissoko would have offered so much more in terms of keeping possession and passing.

Ultimately though... The biggest defence error was Taylor for the sending off combined with no Cabaye and a system that had been set up based around his strengths.

Here's an example of some woeful defending for City's opening goal.

As much as Pardew is tactically inept, surely this is just laziness from the players? Nobody seems bothebusting a gut out there.

http://nufcvisualised.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/calamity-of-errors-1-silva-1-0/

Love the little dig about Dzeko beating Debuchy...:lol:

How about putting Santon at LM/LW and moving Gutti in the middle as a ballplaying DM? Train Mbiwa at Lb ( he did look pretty good there last season), or just buy someone.

Anyway, Gutti seems like he's lost a step and, IMO need someone else out wide on the left that can create legitimate chances and score.

I would also like to see Ben Arfa in the middle as an ACM,

and find someone out wide right of course.

But I'm not the director or manager, so whatever!

Santon... The right footer as a LM? I could see your point of having him be there as attacking left winger however for best part he can't cross with his left foot and more importantly, he is known for his trait of bringing the ball back on to his right foot for crosses when he does get in that position. We really need a left footed winger. We do actually have one in the squad with Ben Arfa but his ability on the right is more valuable. He can unleash in swinging shots, drive in to box with skill whilst Santon doesn't possess that. It would be like having Gutierrez on the left wing. Hard working defensively but wouldn't give us an attacking out put.

Gutierrez is on his way down unfortunately. A lot of time has passed from the fella who burst on to the scene against Man Utd. He has lost his legs a little bit and unfortunately that was his main thing. Defending and protecting the left back and going on a run to get fouled. What did he offer after that? Certainly wasn't great crossing or passing ability. Good honest Pro is Jonas however I think he should be sold now.

Debuchy is officially fucking horrendous.

Not sure why that's been prompted after the west hall game. Jarvis burnt him for pace once, but otherwise he was solid. People need to keep in mind the first seasons coloccini and Enrique had. Getting up to the pace of English football is not immediate. Let's have some patience.

Aye the whole squad is probably, at least the Frenchman.

Agree with HF about Debuchy, add the fact he seemed more committed than most. Works hard, he's having difficulty dealing with pace but apart from that think he's been quite solid.

Not sure why that's been prompted after the west hall game. Jarvis burnt him for pace once, but otherwise he was solid. People need to keep in mind the first seasons coloccini and Enrique had. Getting up to the pace of English football is not immediate. Let's have some patience.

Matt Jarvis is pretty fast though...

Matt Jarvis is pretty fast though...

Exactly.

We were shitting ourselves about both wings before the game. Our full backs are hardly solid yet and the wingers we played aren't renowned for hard work. Expected West Ham to pummel us out wide.

Never really happened though.

Exactly.

We were shitting ourselves about both wings before the game. Our full backs are hardly solid yet and the wingers we played aren't renowned for hard work. Expected West Ham to pummel us out wide.

Never really happened though.

Nah. I was more worried about us creating chances & taking them properly. No shots on target is something a sunday league team might boast but a professional outfit should be hitting the target from 14 attempts.

I'd also drop Cisse - he looks like he couldn't give a fuck.