Favourite sporting books

Tooj

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently reading one of Simon Kuper's books: "Ajax, the Dutch, the War: The Strange Tale of Soccer During Europe's Darkest Hour", and it's really good. Looks at football in all countries during World War II and it's fascinating how the different nations approached the sport in wartime.

Kuper's other ones are pretty solid too - Football Against the Enemy, Soccer Men, and Why England Lose/Soccernomics are all great.

Covers North east football at every level and very, very funny.

I've read it like, just don't think it's the best football book that I've ever read but I can see why some would say so.

I think this might be the next football book I read, it is meant to be outstanding.

I've just finished The Open Veins of Latin America by him which was really eye opening.

9781568584942_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

@@Tom - have you read it?

The Far Corner is a great book (I was at the Whitley Bay game he covers) and I really enjoyed the Paul McGrath book as well, thought it was a great read.

Most footballers autobiographies are shit and I avoid them like the plague as they tend to tell you fuck all and cover pretty mundane ground. The McGrath book for me was slightly different as it was dealing with far more than football.

I read the Miracle of Castel Di Sangro and did enjoy it but the author got on my tits a bit. Came across as a bit of a know it all yank and seemed surprised when they told him to fuck off after he started to give tactical advice. :lol:

Off the top of my head, I recommend Quinny's book Who Ate All the Pies as also being a bit different but I guess most on here have probably read it.

'fucking hell! It's Paul Cannell!' falls into the 'different' category as well. Another good laugh/read about a former NUFC player. (It was only about £1.50 or something when when I bought it on kindle).

I've read it like, just don't think it's the best football book that I've ever read but I can see why some would say so.

I think this might be the next football book I read, it is meant to be outstanding.

I've just finished The Open Veins of Latin America by him which was really eye opening.

9781568584942_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

@@Tom - have you read it?

@@Tooj

I haven't but I'll give it a go! On my list is ''The Footballer who could fly'' by Duncan Hamilton which seems to be in a similar vein.

51ylEBm4pRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

(I think the title is in reference to Wyn the leap, who is on one editions cover :up: )

I'm also going to give Sid Lowe's ''Fear and Loathing in La Liga'' a dig. :up:

Canny! Might try that George Best book.

I do like a bit of Cricket - but probably not enough to read a book about it though it may something worth getting my brother for Christmas :D

• 6 months later...

Almost finished Bergkamp's autobiography that was released last year.

dennisbergkampstillnessandspeed120131029

Found it brilliant if I'm being honest. Bergkamp's philosophy on how football should be played and how youngsters should be coached are something that I agree with him on. If you want something that's a bit different to your traditional footballers autobiography then I'd really recommend this to anybody.

Has lots of quotes from other greats as well such as Cruijff, Rijkaard etc.

There's even a chapter in there when he talks about how much of a snidey cunt he was.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/arsenal/id/2588

Hand of god by Jimmy Burns is good. As is Nasser Hussain's autobiography. Avoid the bland ghost written effort from Flintoff. KP comes across like a cock in his, unsurprisingly

Been meaning to get that one for ages, that documentary about it was fascinating.

@@Meenzer Was it "9.79*" that you're referring to? The ESPN 30 for 30 one. Or is there another one I haven't seen?

The book is really good, well worth getting - it's a proper piece of "journalism", rather than just a superficial going-over of things you already knew, which is often the case with things like this.

I was going to say no, it was this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ktf7y

...but the filmmaker is the same guy: http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/seoul-1988-100-metre-final-documentary-979-ben-johnson/

...so it must be the same one, just repackaged/renamed for the Beeb. Makes sense really, it's a fascinating topic but not quite worthy of two competing documentaries. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm reading ding The Dirtiest Race In History about the 1988 Olympic 100m Final. Quality read.

Was just about to post in here that I'd started reading this as well.

We all know Ben Johnson is a massive cock (at least he's honest about it) but some of the stuff about Lewis was surreal. (Not living in the Olympic village, not training with his relay mates man!)

That story about Lennox Lewis putting Ben Johnson out on the pool table though. :lol:

I'm reading ding The Dirtiest Race In History about the 1988 Olympic 100m Final. Quality read.

Canny, will have a look at that one.

Just finishing Emma Oreilly's book. Its a good read, but a frustrating one at that. Saying how she is a clean swanny, yet her actions say otherwise.