Cardiff - Newcastle

Aeris

I can't see why he's dropping him.

It's surely Pardew's fault for putting him on the left? Hammering crosses into the box really isn't Hatem's style - nor is it our style. If anything he puts better balls in from the right wing - cutting back & curling it to the far post.

He'd have been better anywhere but the left - in the centre or on the right where he's more of a threat. Coleman had the measure of him whereas Baines might not have. Everyone knows he's going to cut in - but how many can do something about it?

Remy on the left and Ben Arfa on the right works - it's an obvious threat - on both wings and obviously both can find their way into the box when play dictates -

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been confirmed?

No but the rumours are coming in from everywhere including those people on twitter that got the lineup spot on last time well before the official one came out.

I can't see why he's dropping him.

It's surely Pardew's fault for putting him on the left? Hammering crosses into the box really isn't Hatem's style - nor is it our style. If anything he puts better balls in from the right wing - cutting back & curling it to the far post.

He'd have been better anywhere but the left - in the centre or on the right where he's more of a threat. Coleman had the measure of him whereas Baines might not have. Everyone knows he's going to cut in - but how many can do something about it?

Remy on the left and Ben Arfa on the right works - it's an obvious threat - on both wings and obviously both can find their way into the box when play dictates -

I agree. Its just so stupid. Whatever little sympathy I've left for Pardew will be gone if he drops HBA.

Krul; Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini ©, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko; Gouffran, Cissé, Remy.

I don't mind that as a line up but it's stupid of Pardew to drop Ben Arfa for a situation that he created.

Ben Arfa isn't undroppable. If you act like he is it just makes you a look a bit stupid and childish. Great players do get dropped. Players who can be great but suffer from obvious inconsistencies get dropped more often. I think there was a meme invented for this very mentality.

Ben Arfa isn't undroppable. If you act like he is it just makes you a look a bit stupid and childish. Great players do get dropped. Players who can be great but suffer from obvious inconsistencies get dropped more often. I think there was a meme invented for this very mentality.

I'd agree he is droppable, when it comes off for him it's good to watch, when he tries to be World Cup star and take everyone on, (for whatever reason), it's painful to watch and exasperating. Some players react to getting dropped by trying to prove the manager wrong and I suspect Ben Arfa will do this. If he does then arguably the decision to drop him works.

Plus it puts the onus on the rest to step up.

Edited by Howmanheyman

I agree. We can't give the impression, whether to opponents or to our own players, that we're a one-man team. If our only plan is get it to HBA and see what he can do, we're in deep trouble. We also don't want to send the message that you can play poorly in a previous match (and v. Hull as well) and always keep your place.

Of course I think Ben Arfa is our best and most creative player and I'd love him to play every minute of every game, but we've a squad of players, not a star and 10 supporting characters. I hope he takes being dropped as a challenge rather than as an insult and rises to it.

He's looking desperate to me now. I have no problem with Ben Arfa being dropped after 2 poor shows, but Pardew still clearly has no idea whatsoever who he prefers across the whole midfield or to partner Coloccini. Individual mistakes will happen and will be learned form, but only if Pardew has a system in mind which he is going to allow players to grow into. He's chopping and changing in blind hope that something comes off.

Dropping Anita makes no sense at all to me, he's arguably been our best player and really does help us keep the ball.

I'd rather the midfield was the same as away at Villa with Cabaye further forward so he can press the opposition in there half with Sissoko running with the ball from deep which is what he's best at doing.

Can't fathom pardews thinking, if he is dropped on performance, why are the 2 full backs in the team? Anita has done ok, Sissoko should have been the midfielder benched.

Edited by ULSTER MAG

Whichever way you view the teamsheet... it's still a better collection of players than Cardiff. With that said, I'm not expecting anything from this in the hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.