US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with him about the right to offend. he's a hideous creature though, as is his boss. 

you're obsessed with the narrative of the MSM. i'm more concerned about the way young people consume media now. a whole generation will no longer pay for their media consumption. is facebook now a publisher? are individual posters now setting editorial agendas? there is no regulation in this world, which is why we're seeing so much fake news.

a different narrative is being pushed, other vested interests are shaping the way "news" is reported and consumed, without safety nets you find in reputable legacy media companies, like fact checking or verifying a story through two or more sources before publishing etc. it seems the style with which it is delivered is more important now than a story's accuracy. 

I don't disagree that the 'post-truth' era is a concern, but I do think the MSM is ultimately responsible for this. If people think the media lies, as they do right across the political spectrum, of course they're going to seek out truth elsewhere. The agendas and narratives they've foisted on us have come home to roost.

Do I think the direction we're heading is a good one? No. But you know who and what I think is ultimately responsible for this anyway.

I have to say, there is a not insignificant part of me that is just fucking loving this. I keep trying to press it down but seeing the people who have told us what to think, how to think it and understanding how this benefits them in the social order, come face to face with the monster that such nonsense inevitably caused, is very satisfying.

Putting my slightly more civilised hat back on, the solution here for politics and the media to be more open and honest, and to genuinely give people a choice.

what's his obsession with feminists btw? scared of lasses tbh, the big gay

That's a wider issue within the Alt-Right vs SJW war. It's not really played out in the election (believe it or not) but having seen some of the stuff from both sides, I can safely say that they're both as pathetic as each other. They're all overgrown children with no ability to compromise and reason things out.

I'm not referring to all feminists here incidentally, just the branch of them that he means when he's talking about it.

I don't disagree that the 'post-truth' era is a concern, but I do think the MSM is ultimately responsible for this. If people think the media lies, as they do right across the political spectrum, of course they're going to seek out truth elsewhere. The agendas and narratives they've foisted on us have come home to roost.

Do I think the direction we're heading is a good one? No. But you know who and what I think is ultimately responsible for this anyway.

I have to say, there is a not insignificant part of me that is just fucking loving this. I keep trying to press it down but seeing the people who have told us what to think, how to think it and understanding how this benefits them in the social order, come face to face with the monster that such nonsense inevitably caused, is very satisfying.

Putting my slightly more civilised hat back on, the solution here for politics and the media to be more open and honest, and to genuinely give people a choice.

it depends on which parts of the MSM you're talking about. i'm pretty happy to continue to consume my media from reputable legacy media, knowing the editorial safeguards they put in place, rather than some redneck nutjob parky has posted a link to.

struggling to see why you think the demise of such publications and the rise of fake news is a good thing. 

sweeping generalisations about the MSM are as bad as the blatant editorial agendas some publications try to push. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

It's only a concern now cause they are losing. MSM spent decades spreading lies for their big finance/ establisment/ industry overlords.

Their next step will be to try and colonise the alt media. :lol:

The MSM right now are having their Bill Grundy moment after Brexit and Amexit. ;)

Edited by Park Life

It's only a concern now cause they are losing. MSM spent decades spreading lies for their big finance/ establisment/ industry overlords.

Another sweeping generalisation.

You're saying the entire mainstream media is corrupt?

It's technology man. Social media has changed things faster than we can adapt to it. Now every idiot and loon has a voice, it's Babel. Nobody is educated to differentiate truth from fiction, and most don't care anyway.

What a load of shite

From the miners strike to the mass slaughter in Iraq, Libya and now Syria they have been cheerleaders for wholesale suffering of greater mankind.

Edited by Park Life

From the miners strike to the mass slaughter in Iraq, Libya and now Syria they have been cheerleaders for wholesale suffering of greater mankind.

you don't know what you're talking about. it's easy to talk about "them" as if every publication is corrupt. the reality is it isn't the case. there are plenty of reputable publications out there with rigorous editorial procedures in place. look beyond the op-ed pages and you'll realise you're talking nonsense. 

you'll have to forgive me if i get a bit defensive here but i have first hand experience of this industry. i know how difficult is to get a story published in the reputable "MSM' -  facts are checked and checked and checked again before being verified by multiple sources, copy is scrutinised and some editors don't have a murdoch type looking over their shoulder. editorlal decisions are made about what should be published in the public interest - it's not always about what some establishment overlord wants you to believe. 

It's technology man. Social media has changed things faster than we can adapt to it. Now every idiot and loon has a voice, it's Babel. Nobody is educated to differentiate truth from fiction, and most don't care anyway.

This is a good point. But I expect it will balance out over time. The alt-media are very new on the scene...I hope in the coming years there will a healthy cross over from either side. The current entrenchment won't last.

you don't know what you're talking about. it's easy to talk about "them" as if every publication is corrupt. the reality is it isn't the case. there are plenty of reputable publications out there with rigorous editorial procedures in place. look beyond the op-ed pages and you'll realise you're talking nonsense. 

you'll have to forgive me if i get a bit defensive here but i have first hand experience of this industry. i know how difficult is to get a story published in the reputable "MSM' -  facts are checked and checked and checked again before being verified by multiple sources, copy is scrutinised and some editors don't have a murdoch type looking over their shoulder. editorlal decisions are made about what should be published in the public interest - it's not always about what some establishment overlord wants you to believe. 

Checking facts? Wow! Is that what they've been doing? :lol:

I know they're not all bad man. :)

But really out of the thousands of these lackeys there is probably only a dozen or so we can actually trust...Pilger and the like.

Edited by Park Life

Who is that cunt? He looks like a John Beresford/Ayoze Perez mash-up, dressed by Steve Taylor.

:lol:

We're really on to Milo ffs? The bloke is an attention seeker of the highest order, Breitbart love him because they think he shows they're not as closed minded as they are and as someone said he's hard for some of these liberal types to argue with. He uses a load of big words like Brand and talks fast, while changing talking points, he's good at arguing and he does make some okay points because neither side is correct.

He argues that gay people aren't born that way, he says this because no 'gay gene' has been found but then his argument on abortion is that life begins at conception and you're a murderer if you have any kind of abortion or take a plan B type thing, he says this as he argues all gays must oppose abortion because once they figure out a gay gene the gays will be wiped out. 

Edited by Howay

Or in olden days terms...

"The printing press is either the greatest blessing or the greatest curse of modern times, sometimes one forgets which it is."

Checking facts? Wow! Is that what they've been doing? :lol:

I know they're not all bad man. :)

But really out of the thousands of these lackeys there is probably only a dozen or so we can actually trust...Pilger and the like.

Ok, we're getting somewhere. You admit they're not all in on it, so stop talking about the "MSM" as if we're all part of some ridiculous conspiracy

Ok, we're getting somewhere. You admit they're not all in on it, so stop talking about the "MSM" as if we're all part of some ridiculous conspiracy

I think selective reporting is the bigger issue. There's no fact checking process that needs to be carried out if you're simply 'not reporting' something.

"They" did fuck over old Bernie mind, I generally don't subscribe to conspiracy theory type stuff but there was definitely something against Sanders. Got their divisive candidate in saying Sanders stood no shot and now are all whinging that that the Republicans got their long shot in.

Edited by Howay

Another excellent read from my boyfriend about those rushing to blame wikileaks, comey, the press, social media and anything else other than the Democratic party itself...

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/18/the-stark-contrast-between-the-gops-self-criticism-in-2012-and-the-democrats-blame-everyone-else-posture-now/