Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Zomlot is spot on in what he says. And I agree with your other points. I think there’s probably bias in that interview but I also think that the BBC has tried its best to be impartial on this. 
I think aimaad makes a lot of good points too btw. 
To be honest I’ve refrained from getting involved in talking about it, because it’s so fucking depressing, not to mention so complex and ingrained that I can’t even think of anything remotely approaching a solution. What a tragic waste of life the last few days have been. It must be awful for you, having family members involved. I really hope they all stay safe and that this de-escalates soon. 

thanks man. i have debated whether or not to post more about this on here, i know it's a polarising subject. it's all i'm really thinking about at the moment, it kept me awake last night till about 4am. 

i had to take the twitter app off my phone because it's such a fucking cesspit, and i know i'm in the minority here when it comes to supporting israel's right to exist and to defend itself and am not really in the mood to get into a back and forth when my family are literally cowering in bomb shelters.

everyone on social media is an armchair pundit, unable to shift from their position despite the horror which is unfolding. you've got people defending hamas and tweeting "free palestine" in response to news that whole families have been slaughtered in their beds - HAVE A FUCKING DAY OFF!

but it really doesn't matter if you are pro-palestine or pro-israel as far as i'm concerned (some people are surprised when i say it is possible to be both). there are innocent human beings on both sides who are being butchered. but let's be absolutely fucking clear - hamas are not freedom fighters. they're a terrorists whose charter calls for the full destruction of the state of israel. how is taking kids from their parents as hostages - kidknapping a six month child ffs - fighting for freedom????

i'll caveat that by saying i'm sure israel will commit war crimes too as it razes gaza to the ground. this is also indefensible and i won't try to defend it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hamas knew what the reaction would be if they were successful so it just made me think they don’t give a shit about the fate of the average Palestinian either. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hamas knew what the reaction would be if they were successful so it just made me think they don’t give a shit about the fate of the average Palestinian either. 

Of course they don’t. They knew what they did was a declaration of war and how Israel would respond. 

They also use civilians as cannon fodder, deliberately storing weapons in civilian locations so they can point to the bodies when Israel responds with overwhelming force. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The this is politics episode on the recent happenings sheds light on what is a complex and difficult ingrained situation it is.

yes, Rory Stewart is excellent at distilling complex stories into succinct five minute explainers 

• Like 1

Neither side is in the right here. The world has sat back for decades and watched while Israel has taken more and more Palestinian land and seen their living conditions squeezed again and again. But absolutely no one can support the indiscriminate slaughter of innocents by Hamas. Sadly Israel are just going to deliver the same treatment to the Palestinian population.

To me a lot of this comes down to the USA’s unwavering support of Israel’s actions which has in turn further emboldened them. Sadly there is no leading country on the international stage willing to call Israel out for what they have done and until there is then nothing will change.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 6

I thought Sarah Silverman made a good point. She said if you have more sympathy for one side than the other (talking about victims) then propaganda has worked on you. Because it’s about de-humanising people if you think one particular group deserves it more than the other. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

To me a lot of this comes down to the USA’s unwavering support of Israel’s actions which has in turn further emboldened them. Sadly there is no leading country on the international stage willing to call Israel out for what they have done and until there is then nothing will change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Rapists and burglars won't be sent to jail from next week because prisons are full".

Story in today's Times, which the Ministry of Justice has refused to deny.

Maybe they could operate a one-in, one-out with the Just Stop Oil people who are in there.

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That's a hell of a flip flop.

The cynic in me thought this may be because the conservatives are best placed to win this seat next time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. She's a clinical psychologist as well, she needs her head examined. 

Slightly dents the Vote Labour, get the SNP tory narrative too.

It does sound like she's had a shite time of it, but just go independent ffs. Don't join them just as they launch themselves off a cliff.

• Like 1

Why on earth would you join the Tories... I think Renton is spot on, she's a career politician trying to preserve her livelihood.

Doesn't change the fact that the SNP have treated her disgracefully of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Slightly dents the Vote Labour, get the SNP tory narrative too.

It does sound like she's had a shite time of it, but just go independent ffs. Don't join them just as they launch themselves off a cliff.

She hasn’t had a bad time at all, she’s an awful person who has always been a Tory. She’s an anti abortionist too.

Aftermath of the conderence season, tories still fucked, Sunak declining. I mean youi'd think they'd be more fucked, but I guess this is their base. Love Truss in the popularity charts, dangling like a flaccid penis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Reform UK up to 8% is interesting there mind. Almost on par with the LDs.

I'm guessing they might merge with the tories with Farage offered a seat? But this would be a massive blow to any moderates left in the party and many floating voters. Kind of hope it happens tbh. 

10 minutes ago, NJS said:

How big a cunt would you be to think the tories are still too soppy and vote Reform? 

I'm assuming its the population who know Brexit is failing but blame it on the tories not giving us a "proper" Brexit. The no deal cunts. I never even knew that cunt Habib was their co-leader, sure he isn't normally introduced on QT as such. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1