Politics

Christmas Tree

Tamworth and Mid Beds by elections today. Looks like the Lib Dems have fucked the Mid Beds election with negative campaigning against Labour FFS. Meanwhile, hopefully people in Tamworth (wherever that is) think about this before voting.

The Lib Dems and Labour need a good kicking to get their heads together, the ONLY job is annihilate the Tories, THEN air their differences by all means. 

Edited by Toonpack

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Tamworth and Mid Beds by elections today. Looks like the Lib Dems have fucked the Mid Beds election with negative campaigning against Labour FFS. Meanwhile, hopefully people in Tamworth (wherever that is) think about this before voting.

Do the Tories honestly think families can feed their kids on the £40 a month it costs for a phone contract or a basic Sky subscription? Are they really that out of touch?

5 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

The Lib Dems and Labour need a good kicking to get their heads together, the ONLY job is annihilate the Tories, THEN air their differences by all means. 

Tories are doing a canny job of annihilating themselves in fairness.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Tories are doing a canny job of annihilating themselves in fairness.

Aye, but we need one of the prgressive (stop sniggering at the back) parties to stand down. Lib Dems have done hte opposite in Mid Beds and have published false infromation from made up opinion polls and will split the vote. Mid Beds needed a swing of 37% to Labour, that probably wasn't happening anyway but looks hopeless now. 

49 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, but we need one of the prgressive (stop sniggering at the back) parties to stand down. Lib Dems have done hte opposite in Mid Beds and have published false infromation from made up opinion polls and will split the vote. Mid Beds needed a swing of 37% to Labour, that probably wasn't happening anyway but looks hopeless now. 

🙂 

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

Do the Tories honestly think families can feed their kids on the £40 a month it costs for a phone contract or a basic Sky subscription? Are they really that out of touch?

Would you really pay for Sky if you were struggling to feed your kids?

• Jaysus... 3

The point is that it's lazy arsehole chatter designed to demonise people. It's not a serious point that's being made, it's just some little clown trying to get likes from fellow arseholes on Facebook.

We're not gonna have a discussion about whether someone would or wouldn't have Sky if they couldn't feed their kids, because Sky and phone contracts are not why poverty is on the rise and life expectancy is declining in this country. But posts like that one shared on Facebook are an attempt to suggest and nudge people towards believing that those things are the cause. And "if these scummers just cancelled their sky it would all be fine."

Anyone who likes and shares this sort of stuff is just a vindictive little knobhead. So it's no great surprise to find a prospective Tory candidate doing it.

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

The point is that it's lazy arsehole chatter designed to demonise people. It's not a serious point that's being made, it's just some little clown trying to get likes from fellow arseholes on Facebook.

We're not gonna have a discussion about whether someone would or wouldn't have Sky if they couldn't feed their kids, because Sky and phone contracts are not why poverty is on the rise and life expectancy is declining in this country. But posts like that one shared on Facebook are an attempt to suggest and nudge people towards believing that those things are the cause. And "if these scummers just cancelled their sky it would all be fine."

Anyone who likes and shares this sort of stuff is just a vindictive little knobhead. So it's no great surprise to find a prospective Tory candidate doing it.

There are people who believe that getting out of poverty isn’t aided by watching a load of shit telly.

All of our grandparents for instance.

It just breeds passivity.

You lot are always whining about how shit the country is but we’ve bred generations of people who can’t look after themselves.

Welfare rightly exists to help people to feed their kids while they’re trying to sort themselves out or if they’re unable to work through illness or disability.

When did subscription TV become something that people are entitled to?

Also, don’t you all hate Rupert Murdoch? Why should the government fund his empire?

15 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

There are people who believe that getting out of poverty isn’t aided by watching a load of shit telly.

You lot are always whining about how shit the country is but we’ve bred generations of people who can’t look after themselves.

Welfare rightly exists to help people to feed their kids while they’re trying to sort themselves out or if they’re unable to work through illness or disability.

Also, don’t you all hate Rupert Murdoch? Why should the government fund his empire?

Hello Quiff. Fuck off

• Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Clearly posts like the one mentioned have worked on you as described, and that's a shame.

48 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Clearly posts like the one mentioned have worked on you as described, and that's a shame.

I don’t have any hate towards the people themselves (quite the reverse) I just disagree with the idea that expecting certain luxuries to be given to you helps you get out of poverty.

Getting out of poverty (depending on your starting point) is extremely difficult and it always has been. I’m sure most of us here did it to some extent or other.

14 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I don’t have any hate towards the people themselves (quite the reverse) I just disagree with the idea that expecting certain luxuries to be given to you helps you get out of poverty.

Getting out of poverty (depending on your starting point) is extremely difficult and it always has been. I’m sure most of us here did it to some extent or other.

I think there's a much bigger conversation to be had here that I sort of can't be bothered to get into (shocking, I know) but just to state at minimum that while yes, many people here may well have had to drag themselves out of difficult situations, they were at least equipped with the tools to be able to do so via some combination of their education or emotional maturity. Not everyone is sent into adulthood with this same level of wider competence, and so it quickly gets on top of them and they become hopeless. I would suggest that they're not sat in front of TV all day because they genuinely want to be, it's more likely to be that they're doing it because they simply have no real hope for themselves or their lives.

The solution to this in my eyes is investment in local communities, thus providing access to opportunities for self development and upskilling - probably also with a sense of empowering people to believe that they can make a change in and affect the outcomes of their own lives. I think where I struggle with the idea that we just need to stop paying these people money that they then spend on TV subscriptions is that this in itself doesn't solve anything. It just pushes them into greater poverty and probably also more crime. The idea that they all suddenly become motivated to go out and make a go of things is pretty fanciful IMO (and ignores to a large degree the amount of inactivity here that will be caused by legitimate mental health problems).

Actually fixing this issue properly would require us to spend even more money on them than we presently do, as part of a focused and widespread initiative likely over the course of many years. At least that's how I see it.

NB this is speaking exclusively to this theoretical 'lazy' segment of society. Which I have to say I believe is vanishingly small to begin with.

1 hour ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I'm going to lose my job soon, the welfare system isn't really going to help and the job search isn't going to plan so far. I'm in a bad enough mood atm as it is without seeing shite like this. (I haven't got sky and I'm still in work btw so zero chance of getting it when I'm out of work). 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm going to lose my job soon, the welfare system isn't really going to help and the job search isn't going to plan so far. I'm in a bad enough mood atm as it is without seeing shite like this. (I haven't got sky and I'm still in work btw so zero chance of getting it when I'm out of work). 

Really sorry to hear this mate - I understand the need to get back into work quickly but I think all I'd say is not to put too much pressure on yourself if you're able, you can only do the best you can. This sort of shit happens - spent 2 years in the wilderness myself and had to move back home for a while. It'll come right.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

If it’s so fucking cushy on the dole, give it a go. 

It's exactly this like, the idea that people on the dole are living the high life. Crackers tbh. You see the same about prisons - "they've got a ps4 in there, what the fuck is that about?? wish I could sit around all day playing ps4, we're too soft!"

• Like 1

If you look at that algoithm, it bascally says that all anybody should aspire to is to feed their kids. Do that, and well done, just forget about providing them with anything else they need to become productive content adults, like having parental time with them.  Heaven forbid anyone should be allowed to have luxuries like a smart phone contact or Netflix subscription - literally FUCK those people. 

You've got to hand it to this government like. They successfully demonised the unemployed throughout the 80s, especially here in the NE, and of course they're still doing it despite Brexit supposed to be a cure for this. But now they've massively expanded the net and demonised the working poor. Some of these families have both parents working multiple jobs but its not enough, all pleasure in their lives need to be extinguished. Because its clearly THESE people who are responsible for the utter mess this country is in. Them and the immigrants. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1