Politics

Christmas Tree

It's appalling that the police are taking the time to investigate this tbh. It was the same with fucking beergate which ended up a total nothingburger too. 

My hope is it ends the issue, but whichever way it ends I don't think she needs to be resigning unless the tory press starts to spin it in a way that starts to impact the polls. At that point, she goes and she comes back as soon as the election is done cos she's done fuck all wrong. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I totally disagree with this. If my lass moved in with me and eventually sold her old place, having never rented it out or switched her residence on the electoral roll to my place, I don't think either of us would twig that she owed CGT on the old place, and I'm an accountant.

She MIGHT have owed somewhere in the region of £1k to £3k in CGT that she has missed through, at worst, ignorance of the requirement to pay it. 

That's not a resigning issue. 

If she’s made an honest mistake as you’re suggesting that’s fine. But if that is the case why is the truth having to be forced out of her? You can’t imagine she’s going to lie to the police? Fairly obvious to me she was at it. Fairly obvious she’ll be a back bencher at best sooner rather than later… the fact that most of us on here would side with her politically is irrelevant…. to me anyway…

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If she’s made an honest mistake as you’re suggesting that’s fine. But if that is the case why is the truth having to be forced out of her? You can’t imagine she’s going to lie to the police? Fairly obvious to me she was at it. Fairly obvious she’ll be a back bencher at best sooner rather than later… the fact that most of us on here would side with her politically is irrelevant…. to me anyway…

Oh howay man. She was a care assistant, the amounts of money are trivial and there are loads of exemptions that might apply to this situation (for instance if she had rennovated the house as is likely). Why the fuck should she share her tax receipts with us? This is the worst case of flase equivalence with cunts like Sunak and Zahawi I have ever known. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

How is the truth having to be forced out of her? She's said she's done nothing wrong and has legal advice to that effect. 

Are you saying you think she knew that she owed CGT and didn't do it, and in so doing avoiding £1k to £3k in CGT, and that even thought it all happened before she was even an MP, that should effectively end her career in politics? 

And btw it's completely impossible to prove that she knew she owed the CGT. Even if you prove her main residence was not at her council house, that doesn't prove she knew she had to pay the tax. So it's impossible to prove she was "at it". It's not tax evasion if you didn't know you were evading anything. 

There'll be people all over the country going "well we did that. I moved in with you three years before I sold my place.... We never paid CGT!?" 

• Like 1

The way Starmer keeps saying he's confident she hasn't broken the rules - he hasn't seen the legal advice, but his team has and he'll have reassurances from them to be saying it's all fine. Otherwise it's his rep on the line too. 

I'd be amazed if the legal advice says anything other than "nothing to see here". 

I know it sounds harsh . We’re not wanting to be deputy PM though. If there’s no issues why didn’t she make an unequivocal statement in the first place? 

I agree that compared to the literal crimes of the previous regime it’s fuck all. If she’s only inadvertently dodged CGT tax she should be asked to pay what she owes and that should be that, same as her constituents. As I said though, she wants to be deputy PM, which certainly changes my view on it. I would know about CGT as I’m a landlord and am married to a conveyancing solicitor. I understand others wouldn’t . All about the optics though…  

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If there’s no issues why didn’t she make an unequivocal statement in the first place? 

She has though hasn't she? 

Like I say, this is quite reassuring. If this is the worst they can muster against a front bencher, its laughable. 

• Like 2

Rayner story is headline news in the BBC news at 10. Weirdly, the BBC say the story is being used by the Tories to smear Labour and that the Tories are happy because regardless of the outcome, it has already succeeded. 

If you know this, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BLATANTLY AIDING AND ABETTING IT by making it headline news, you corrupt cunts? Rhetorical question, but it is so blatant it's bizarre. 

Edit: now a story about the economy turning a corner and coming out of recession. Isnt 0.1% a "paper" recovery? And of course, it's GDP. With the population going up 1% per annum through immigration, GDP per capita, what you actually feel, continues to decline. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

IMG-20240413-WA0000.jpg

This isn't as silly as it sounds. I heard some tory cunt claim exports had doubled, but it turned out he was using the peak of the pandemic as his baseline. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think the outcome of the drone attacks on Israel will mean?

It is hard to cut through all of the noise to see if it is something absolutely huge and a big change or if it is not that significant on a world stage. 

34 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

What do you guys think the outcome of the drone attacks on Israel will mean?

It is hard to cut through all of the noise to see if it is something absolutely huge and a big change or if it is not that significant on a world stage. 

It's been nice knowing all of you. :panic:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I'm taking that as it not being 'that big'. Either way, I would still sleep like.a baby.

No, I’m actually genuinely a bit worried. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Renton said:

No, I’m actually genuinely a bit worried. 

Here's something to take your mind off imminent Armageddon 

French Fries GIF by ViralHog

• Haha 2

Started to wonder last night if this was something to be worried about, then remembered that they've been pulling this shit in that region for my entire life. 

I wish they'd all just fuck off tbh. That stupid cunt in Russia too. 

• Like 3