Politics

Christmas Tree

17 hours ago, ewerk said:

Fair play to him in finally calling out the Tories’ mismanagement of the NHS. Just the 13 years after being elected as a Tory MP.

These One Nation cunts from the ‘left’ of the party are as bad as the loonies on the right iyam. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

This is vile. As I've said before, it's basically impossible not to wish for awful, awful things to happen to Rishi Sunak. 

Listened to the Newsagents Kinnock podcast and think the answer to the question premise is yes, he's the best PM we never had, a political giant compared to the pygmies today. I think all the lefties should listen to him. 

Anyway, there followed a newsagents special with Lewis Goodall about the treatment of child asylum seekers. I had to turn it off as I found it too upsetting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Listened to the Newsagents Kinnock podcast and think the answer to the question premise is yes, he's the best PM we never had, a political giant compared to the pygmies today. I think all the lefties should listen to him. 

Anyway, there followed a newsagents special with Lewis Goodall about the treatment of child asylum seekers. I had to turn it off as I found it too upsetting. 

Isn’t there literally hundreds of kids that’ve gone missing from the hotels they were staying in? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Isn’t there literally hundreds of kids that’ve gone missing from the hotels they were staying in? 

Aye. 

They probably would be safer in Rwanda. 

• Like 1

I see the government are still steadfastly refusing to reveal Cameron’s financial / business interests. This is where the ministerial code isn’t fit for purpose. If you’re just obliged to do it by something like that, as opposed to a statutory requirement, then a government like this will just ignore it. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

I see the Rwandan scheme is forcing people over the border with Ireland who don't have the capacity for them or people are simply going off grid. Genius. Now we will have tens of thousands of asylum seekers without any knowledge of where they are. 

• Like 1

I guess it shows that the policy is working then?

I haven’t seen any evidence of the Irish government’s claim that 80% of asylum claimants are coming from NI. In any case, how are they getting here? Unless they’re getting across the Irish Sea via people smugglers then I just don’t see how any sizeable number of asylum seekers can do it.

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I guess it shows that the policy is working then?

I haven’t seen any evidence of the Irish government’s claim that 80% of asylum claimants are coming from NI. In any case, how are they getting here? Unless they’re getting across the Irish Sea via people smugglers then I just don’t see how any sizeable number of asylum seekers can do it.

Puzzled me a bit too. Do you need ID to cross on a ferry? 

As for it working, I'd say the opposite. The only metric of it working is people not coming across in small boats in the first place, but so far we have record numbers. 

I don't think you need ID to get across on the ferry but I'm sure that busloads to brown skinned fellas suddenly deciding to take a trip to Larne would ring some alarm bells.

The issue for the Tories isn't the small boats, it's the fact that the people are applying for asylum in the UK. If they knew that a large percentage of those landing in Dover were then going to make their way on to Ireland then they wouldn't be nearly as worried about it.

This isn't a British or Irish problem, it's a European problem and until there's one co-ordinated solution it's going to keep happening. There needs to be one set of European asylum decision making and successful applicants distributed fairly across Europe. Asylum is about reaching safety, not necessarily settling in your preferred country.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't think you need ID to get across on the ferry but I'm sure that busloads to brown skinned fellas suddenly deciding to take a trip to Larne would ring some alarm bells.

The issue for the Tories isn't the small boats, it's the fact that the people are applying for asylum in the UK. If they knew that a large percentage of those landing in Dover were then going to make their way on to Ireland then they wouldn't be nearly as worried about it.

This isn't a British or Irish problem, it's a European problem and until there's one co-ordinated solution it's going to keep happening. There needs to be one set of European asylum decision making and successful applicants distributed fairly across Europe. Asylum is about reaching safety, not necessarily settling in your preferred country.

I doubt they go across in busloads. Howay, you irsh lads aren't so insular you still stare at brown people are you? 

I agree with you about it needing a European eide solution, let's see what Labour come up with I guess. But the optics of people arriving in small boats on Kent beaches is clearly a problem for government, whether they apply for asylum or simply disappear into the black economy. The latter has got to be a huge security risk too. 

The book that I read recently (Utopia for realists) talks about migration.  There was a bit in it where it says that the % of a child to get to 6 in Sudan is 20%.  Yet there's a large portion of US doesn't want them and wants to send them back.  Same as here.  Yet the life expectancy of a front line troop in Vietnam, Afghan and Iraq COMBINED is a lot lower than that (I don't even think it was 2%). However the consensus is not to send the troops there as its too dangerous.

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

I doubt they go across in busloads. Howay, you irsh lads aren't so insular you still stare at brown people are you? 

Ireland receives roughly 2000 asylum applications a month. They're now claiming that 80% of those are from people crossing from NI to ROI, that's 1600 people. It wouldn't go unnoticed if that amount of people were taking the ferry across in a single month. Basically I think the Irish government are full of shit.

And we're actually quite multi-cultural over here. My town even has a dark skinned fella living here now, possibly a Portuguese, or maybe someone just back from a fortnight in Benidorm, it's hard to tell.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Ireland receives roughly 2000 asylum applications a month. They're now claiming that 80% of those are from people crossing from NI to ROI, that's 1600 people. It wouldn't go unnoticed if that amount of people were taking the ferry across in a single month. Basically I think the Irish government are full of shit.

And we're actually quite multi-cultural over here. My town even has a dark skinned fella living here now, possibly a Portuguese, or maybe someone just back from a fortnight in Benidorm, it's hard to tell.

Bollocks. This is one of you lot back from a fortnight in Benidorm. 

image.png.25274b02d89969094047459314856f97.png

• Haha 3

We have the wireless on in the office and I have only just realised an advert thats it.

It's about feeding kids during the holidays.  Saying some kids wont get food due to not being at school.

This is Britain in 2024 FFS.  Yet many don't batter an eye lid and think is is normal.

I know there's hungry kids out there but battering eye lids is a bit extreme. Still, probably not much worse than what's in battered sausages.

• Haha 2