Politics

Christmas Tree

I bet this has already been posted , but I've not seen it. 

It's a gem anyway:

One thing thats pissing me off at the moment (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) - are two statements coming hard and fast in the media : Both of which totally contradict my A level economics knowledge, of supply and demand and how prices are decided by the market.

Forgive the format, I know its not school ;)

1. Energy companies cannot help the wholesale price and we cannot control it - they are not making excessive profits. 
 a. The way I understand this says they ARE - they charge a percentage mark up on the fuel they sell - so if a unit costs £1 and they put a 10% markup on it - they make 10p per unit - if a unit costs £4 and they put 10% margin on it they make 40p per unit - thus exploiting the consumer - who has no choice but to pay.
b. Electricity is sold at a price matching unit price - no matter the source. E.g "Gas prices going up, means electricity cost goes up" . How does that work for Nuclear, Renewable etc? They are just matching the cost - if they sold theirs cheaper , then they would put decrease demand on the gas electricity, thus forcing a reduction in price.

2. We cannot tax profits at a higher level , because it stifles investment. 

This has to be bullshit - Consumers pay tiered tax - low rate and higher rate , based on thresholds. Businesses are taxed on GROSS profits (profits that equal the revenue brought in from sales vs the cost of selling those goods ). Am I mistaken that investments are a Cost of goods sold? If I invest in  training courses because my employees need new skills next year - that is a cost of selling my service and therefore its a cost that reduces the profit so I'm taxed less.

So how does taxing people reduce investment? If anything it MAY convince them to invest more in order to avoid taxes and reap their money over a longer term. 

Thinking that oil and gas companies are going to seriously invest of their own accord into renewables is like thinking a tobacco / nicotine company is going to invest in not selling nicotine anymore.

Set me right someone please, its driving me fucking bonkers.

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Good lord, she looks exactly like someone trying to recall their memorised lines. She's awful at this. 

She speaks so slowllllly I can't actually follow her (listening on the radio). Is her strategy to send us to sleep? I'm not hearing much cheering for her? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Fucking hell Starmer and Blackford are going to eat her for breakfast :lol: At least the likes of Johnson, May & Cameron had some charisma about them.

She's fucking awful like. I doubt she will last much past christmas. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I actually think she's better at this than Johnson. There has been something shading an actual debate here which I don't think I've ever seen in PMQs.

Really? Not my take at all. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Coffey cheering there looked like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man when he got angry. She's a human hob nob. 

Someone needs to super-impose that on the image 

Yeah this is worrying me a bit actually. Truss clearly believes what she's saying, which means she can speak on it from a position of conviction and win people over potentially. It may fail, and if it does it'll prove why Starmer is "right" to avoid doing the same - but I actually respect the fact that she's saying what her position is and committing to it even if I fundamentally disagree with it.

I think if she makes it digestible enough, the middle of the road voters could be swung over by it. I mean you're all talking like it's self evident that people will look at this and think 'fuck that, why should we pay more for the principle of the free market' but actually they made that choice over Brexit and austerity. If she talks up 'hard working and ambitious' enough, it could happen.

Depends how the press handle it I guess but since she'll have all the usual bellends behind her on that side, I am concerned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

She’s doing Starmer’s job for him every time she opens her yap. :lol:

How long do we think she’ll last, rounded up to the nearest month? 

I'll go first. February 2023. Bookmark this. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

On the record now on public record as being against a windfall tax. She's fucked already. :lol:

Ruling out a windfall tax in the current climate is tantamount to political suicide IYAM. This won't be received well by the general public. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah this is worrying me a bit actually. Truss clearly believes what she's saying, which means she can speak on it from a position of conviction and win people over potentially

I think this is the wrongest thing you have ever said! 

• Haha 1