Politics

Christmas Tree

12 hours ago, Renton said:

We're already taxed more than at any time in living memory. Not sure you can increase taxes during a cost of living crisis. They don't propose unfunded tax cuts though. And yeah, the windfall tax isn't a minor difference.

That depends on who "we" are.

If its people on PAYE between 12,570 and 150k then sure - but corporation tax (if companies even "choose" to pay it - see holding companies offshore / Ireland etc) , dividend tax , directors salaries seem to be continually getting looked after. 

It boils my piss to see corporation tax fall , when its almost fucking optional to anyone above the middle classes - PAYE is optional to most business owners , over the working class - and they are just totally screwed.

Corporation tax profits 2009-10 (£) Corporation tax profits 2010-11 (£)
0 - 300,000 21% 21%
300,001 - 1,500,000 Marginal relief Marginal relief
1,500,001 or more 28%

Corporation tax rates

Financial year 2020-21 Financial year 2021-22 Financial year 2022-23 Financial year 2023-24
Main rate 19% 19% 19% 25%
Small profits rate N/A N/A N/A 19%
Lower threshold N/A N/A N/A £50,000
Upper threshold N/A N/A N/A £250,000

A cut of 2% to 19% over 2010 and the 28% higher rate isn't even there anymore. 2023-24 was promised by Sunak - but lets see how long that lasts - they'll fucking reduce it again.

I'm not trying to be "all about the workers" but the squeeze is on everyone but the upper middle classes to the elite, imo - and nothing on corporations due to "your pensions are in it" / "they will take their business elsewhere" etc.

Oh shit, rant coming... Costa wont take their business elsewhere if you tax them properly for UK sales , or force them to give proper employment contracts - it will just be an "operating cost" for selling coffee in the UK, which they will still want to do - they can still make a profit. Profit is better than no profit.

jaysus... valium and relax.

Edited by scoobos
missed shit and felt ranty
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Craig said:

So if the energy prices are being capped, does that mean the rising prices of food, blamed on projected energy rises will also remain stagnant? 

No. The efffect on inflation of these measure is up for debate, but rates of 20% are still likely.

• Like 1

So she wants the UK to be a net energy exporter by 2040... I missed the detail on this though, is that from fracking or nuclear or what? This is, I suppose, a golden opportunity for the Tories to trash conservation laws to push through a big business agenda at a time it might actually have some public support.

Did she say anything about help to businesses there?  Does this £130 Billion cover them? Because if it doesn't, won't we need even more borrowing, or else half the country will go out of business? What about public buildings, schools, hospitals, swimming pools etc? 

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So she wants the UK to be a net energy exporter by 2040... I missed the detail on this though, is that from fracking or nuclear or what? This is, I suppose, a golden opportunity for the Tories to trash conservation laws to push through a big business agenda at a time it might actually have some public support.

Details aren't important man. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Did she say anything about help to businesses there?  Does this £130 Billion cover them? Because if it doesn't, won't we need even more borrowing, or else half the country will go out of business? What about public buildings, schools, hospitals, swimming pools etc? 

It does, for 6 months.

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It does, for 6 months.

Which is fucking ridiculous. Zero certainty for business. How the fuck are people meant to plan their lives or make any medium term decisions? 

Oh and she also announced that the Business Secretary will be performing a review over the coming months for which businesses need longer term support. So that'll be reassuring that it's Rees Mogg that business can rely on for what happens 6 months from now.

This is why we don't need to worry about this lot at the next election. 

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah the next election is going to be an even more sure thing than the one in 1997 was.

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Which is fucking ridiculous. Zero certainty for business. How the fuck are people meant to plan their lives or make any medium term decisions? 

Oh and she also announced that the Business Secretary will be performing a review over the coming months for which businesses need longer term support. So that'll be reassuring that it's Rees Mogg that business can rely on for what happens 6 months from now.

Banks, monocle manufacturers, chimney sweeps, security firms engaged at the workhouses. Off the top of my head. 

Edited by Toonpack

It may be idealogy stopping her from introducing a windfall tax, but the optics are awful. Even Sunak introduced one, there are no reasonable arguments against it. Of course it wouldn't raise enough money, but I wonder if there is some other reason she is not doing it? Keeping donors onside, personal investments? 

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

Unlike a one-off windfall followed by n more years of 170bn eh Rachel? 

Out of interest, what would you do? I'd like to see domestic generated energy and oil/gas kept off the international markets and used here. But nobody credible is suggesting that so I guess there must be quite significant barriers to doing this? 

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Out of interest, what would you do? I'd like to see domestic generated energy and oil/gas kept off the international markets and used here. But nobody credible is suggesting that so I guess there must be quite significant barriers to doing this? 

On 02/09/2022 at 09:30, ewerk said:

Now that we're out of the EU what is stopping us from capping the price paid for gas from UK sources and restricting how much of that gas can be sold to other countries? 50% of the gas used in the UK comes from domestic production yet apparently the price paid for it is tied to the global market.

Video by antonzhuman whitepeoplegifs middle finger bow and arrow discover-fuck you GIF

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

One of the interventions from Starmer's own side was spot on:

"It's clear that (the Tory) side of the house are on the side of the energy producers; This (opposition) side of the house are on the side of the consumer/working people. Who are the electorate going to trust?"

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

It may be idealogy stopping her from introducing a windfall tax, but the optics are awful. Even Sunak introduced one, there are no reasonable arguments against it. Of course it wouldn't raise enough money, but I wonder if there is some other reason she is not doing it? Keeping donors onside, personal investments? 

Did you see the intervention from the Tory benches where they tried to remind Starmer that the Tories had already introduced a windfall tax inferring that it was unreasonable to ask for a further one. 

Fucking unbelievable man!