Politics

Christmas Tree

I've always thought he was a placeholder for his brother. The way they are trying to sleepwalk to a win instead of being bold suggests half-hearted defeatism. Another 5 years of cunts beckons - though smaller party gains may make it interesting.

TBF he isn't being persecuted for being a trade unionist, he led illegal strikes and pickets on the site on which he was working.

Though there are obvious serious dangers with private blacklisting by companies.

Carillion plc were found to have persecuted Dave Smith for trade union activities at a tribunal he brought against them. The reason the tribunal found against him was because Carillion were "employing " him through a subcontractor and they took him on via an agency so technically he wasn't their employee. His employment rights had been "casualised".

I work for a company who only employ office staff and contract managers. The lads who carry out the work (I.e. the people who actually create the profits to pay for the full employment of the others) are all self employed with no real rights or entitlements whatsoever.

Carillion plc were found to have persecuted Dave Smith for trade union activities at a tribunal he brought against them.

I don't think that was the case at all. He was blacklisted for illegal strikes and picketing after being dismissed due to complaining about the state of the bogs on the work site. None of which were authorised by any TU AFAIA. Trade unions have health and safety reps to investigate these sort of complaints. Smith was a rabble rouser.

I'm not saying that blacklisting him was correct but he doesn't sound like the sort of man I'd want working for me.

You're missing the point ewerk....they were able to get rid of him (and more to the point his issues at that work place) because his employment rights have been casualised out of existence.

I understand you probably come at life from a different sort of angle to me but believe me this goes on and it effects millions of us who have to get our hands dirty for a living every fuckin day.

PL, I'm not missing the point, im simply making a different one to you. This guy was a knobend who deserved the sack.

Employment rights in this country are pretty good for employees, zero hour contracts aside. Agency workers and contractors are another area where there needs a closer look but the days of mass exploitation of the masses are much reduced.

PL, I'm not missing the point, im simply making a different one to you. This guy was a knobend who deserved the sack.

Employment rights in this country are pretty good for employees, zero hour contracts aside. Agency workers and contractors are another area where there needs a closer look but the days of mass exploitation of the masses are much reduced.

There's nothing but taking and absolutely no giving and it's been that way for years in certain industries. If I go on the sick I won't be paid. I am not self employed nor am I an agency worker but work for a global giant with a unionised workforce. Employment rights are not pretty good and are only going backwards. Again, maybe it's just the industries I work in that are run by idle, conformist, spineless, greedy, heartless set of CUNTS.

You get statutory sick pay though?

That's correct, only job I've never been entitled to my normal pay for the misfortune of having an accident or being genuinely, and proven to be, ill. Are you on the SSP when you're bad? Are you happy with that if you are?

You're lucky if that's the only job where you haven't had the company pay you your full wage. Where I'm from most employees work on the understanding that if they're off sick they don't get paid until they qualify for SSP and I've genuinely never heard any complaints about it.

You're lucky if that's the only job where you haven't had the company pay you your full wage. Where I'm from most employees work on the understanding that if they're off sick they don't get paid until they qualify for SSP and I've genuinely never heard any complaints about it.

Not sure what you mean by not getting paid until they qualify for SSP. Does that mean that they do get paid their full wage if they've been employed for a certain number of months? Also Luck didn't come into this, it was fighting for rights throughout the years and giving and taking with employers to get a mutually beneficial workplace for both sides. Genuinely staggered that you've never heard anyone moan about not getting their normal pay while on the sick although, although saying that, I'm guessing we're from different working backgrounds, maybe you're compensated elsewhere with a better all round package which negates the lack of sick pay?

I meant that you only qualify for SSP after four days off work, up until then you get nothing.

Where I'm from employment has largely been based on construction, engineering and SMEs. People get paid their wage and that's it. There's nothing else to compensate for a lack of paid sick leave. Up until the government's introduction of work based pensions most local businesses didn't offer company pensions. About 1 in 3 working people here are employed by the government which tends to offer much better conditions but generally if you work in the private sector you get an hourly wage and that's it.

I meant that you only qualify for SSP after four days off work, up until then you get nothing.

Where I'm from employment has largely been based on construction, engineering and SMEs. People get paid their wage and that's it. There's nothing else to compensate for a lack of paid sick leave. Up until the government's introduction of work based pensions most local businesses didn't offer company pensions. About 1 in 3 working people here are employed by the government which tends to offer much better conditions but generally if you work in the private sector you get an hourly wage and that's it.

I know NI has a large public sector workforce, I still think it's outrageous you don't get paid sick pay, mind. Despite being from a country with a healthy amount of err, how say....'rebelliousness', whenever I've been over there I've often been struck by a lack of fight for workers rights although to be fair, you lot maybe had other more pressing matters on your hands whichever side of the fence you sat on. Obviously I don't live there and might have the wrong end of the stick, though.

It seems strange that one of the original kick off points for the troubles was "rights" but they've been overlooked to an extent.

When I worked for a small company in Newcastle we didnt get sick pay and used to count it against holidays which in retrospect was shit. It only really bothered me when I lost two weeks to chickenpox.

I honestly don't know what the reason is behind it. Northern Ireland has the highest percentage TU membership in the UK.

I can only speak about my own area though, it may well be different in other parts of NI.

Edited by ewerk

Prosecutions are a good point but will never happen as long as the things like the head of the hedge fund who benefitted most from the under pricing of the Post Office shares having George Osborne as his best man keep happening :glare:

Edited by PaddockLad