Politics

Christmas Tree

After a few hours contemplation I have come to the conclusion that Cameron will win the next election, remain PM and be able to govern without the lib dems.

Reasoning

1. No one wants Red Ed

2. Even UKIP members are desperate for a vote on Europe and will return to the flock when it matters.

3. Lib Dems will be hoofed for their treachery.

4. Public trusts the Torys more with finances and I'm sure they'll have lots of proper policies to unveil.

Why is it a bad thing? I haven't given it much thought, I'd just be interested to hear what good it has done.

As a benchmark I feel reducing human rights cannot be a good thing. The Tories will spin it as backlash against stupid judges decisions. When in reality they will use it as a backdoor to reduce human rights legislation in the work place.

We had human rights before the ECHR and we'll have a codified set of HR should be chose to leave. My question was what case law has the ECHR introduced that has improved life in Britain? Again, I'm not saying that it hasn't, I'm just interested in finding out what it is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/what-has-the-european-court-of-human-rights-ever-done-for-us-8451406.html (from a wee while back, but still relevant enough)

Or, to put it another way, the only country that hasn't signed up to it is Belarus so that should probably tell us enough

So only 19 admissible cases heard and only 8 actual violations from the UK in 2012. I'm getting the feeling that this won't have much of an effect on the UK either way, it looks to be pure pandering to potential UKIP voters.

That's arguably as much of a problem in many respects, it reframes the term "human rights" in the mind of impressionable/thick people as something to be wary of/sneered at, and all because the Tories are having a bit of a panic attack because of a defection or two. (Well, that and the fact that the UKIP vote will cost them the next election, which I suppose is more understandable. :D)