Politics

Christmas Tree

If you read the actual blurb that goes with the article. One is a couple who like in a £400k house in the Cotswolds and wanted to buy a Dorset farmhouse and a £200k cottage next door to let. The £6k extra in stamp duty has broken them though.

The bigger family live in an £800k house and have a property portfolio worth £1.6m which they now say they won't be able to add to. And the Mail runs this story with absolutely zero irony. :lol:

The bookies don't agree with you.

Remember this is the country that elected John Major. Charisma isn't everything in UK politics.

John Major was against Kinnock, had the support of the press, and fundamentally had the personal of a decent if dull man. Labour weren't ready for power then, and they certainly aren't now.

I personally don't respect Corbyn. He looks and sounds Luke a sixth form sociology teacher who holds idealism above pragmatism. He's already given the conservatives enough ammunition to utterly destroy him without any help from the press. His comments on nuclear deterrence alone were possibly the most stupid I have ever heard from the leader of a major political party.

I think Labour will be annihilated in 2020, worse than anything in living memory. Maybe they couldn't have won with an alternative candidate, or maybe they could considering the insane flim flamming of the government, we'll never know. Maybe the argument is Labour need to be destroyed to be reborn. I don't know, I'm just genuinely upset by it all.

Next big thing is the Euro referendum, another thing Corbyn gives me no inspiration on. We'll take it from there.

If we stay in the EU it won't matter who's running England in 2020. They're churning out 6,000 or summink bits of legislation a year and the goal is greater Federalism it says so in all their main documents.

Edited by Park Life

I think there's been a shift towards his thinking on nuclear weapons and away from yours - cock waving aside, I think a lot of people realise it's not the 80s any more.

(in reply to Renton)

Edited by NJS

We blatantly don't need Trident. All 60billion of it. We're in NATO and we can use nukes in dozens of other ways now. Trident is a Warsaw pact legacy. Think the Americans have the firing codes anyway..

It might also be an idea to get ourselves off the Russian priority strike list by getting rid of the offensive American bases and just let them use the listening stations.

All these guppy countries that have agreed to the missile defence pact with America are gonna get nuked first.

Germany has postponed the agreed American base for 5 years which keeps it on the B or even C list.

Edited by Park Life

There's no doubt Corbyn and Mao will soon be gone, but that's going to cause a right split between the Parliamentary MP's and the membership.

The best outcome (for the party's unity) would be for Corbyn to be persuaded to step down or ill health to force him out.

There's also the whispers about another serious financial crisis hitting the world in 2018 which could seriously upset the apple cart.

I think there's been a shift towards his thinking on nuclear weapons and away from yours - cock waving aside, I think a lot of people realise it's not the 80s any more.

(in reply to Renton)

I think you're wrong on that, and its Corbyn who is living in the Foot 80s. Besides, we presently have them. To publicly negate their deterrence value by saying you would never us them is massively naive at best.

Renewal is a different issue. I'm not convinced on the need for trident per se, but I don't believe in unilateral disarmament either. I think most would agree with that stance and he's on a massive vote loser here. Plus his stance is contrary to that of the party......

Come on CT, back up the fact this wasn't a lie. Was Byrne referring to the National debt or the National deficit?

Don't be shy.

I'm not being shy :lol:

NJS implied the existence of the letter was a lie.

And if you think I'm getting sucked in to one of your long winded economic theory arguments I suggest you make alternative arrangements :lol:

There's no doubt Corbyn and Mao will soon be gone, but that's going to cause a right split between the Parliamentary MP's and the membership.

The best outcome (for the party's unity) would be for Corbyn to be persuaded to step down or ill health to force him out.

There's also the whispers about another serious financial crisis hitting the world in 2018 which could seriously upset the apple cart.

If that does come to be true do you not think it would hurt the Tories the most?

If that does come to be true do you not think it would hurt the Tories the most?

Well really that's my point. If Labour have an excellent front bench who could spin it that way and offer the public a realistic alternative then yes. With these amateurs running the opposition then no.

I'm not being shy :lol:

NJS implied the existence of the letter was a lie.

And if you think I'm getting sucked in to one of your long winded economic theory arguments I suggest you make alternative arrangements :lol:

"don't try and confuse me with the facts!"

Fastest growing advanced economy in the Wooooorrrrrrllllllddddd! FACT

Tried to tell you before that gdp means nothing when inequality persists. All "growth" does is benefit those at the top and does not make the country in any sense "better off" because the extra wealth is either held or offshored rather than spent.

Tried to tell you before that gdp means nothing when inequality persists. All "growth" does is benefit those at the top and does not make the country in any sense "better off" because the extra wealth is either held or offshored rather than spent.

That is one ridiculous statement.

Inequality has and will always persist. And imagine how the spending review would have gone if the forecasted GDP for the next 5 years was only 1% growth.

Inequality has and will always persist. And imagine how the spending review would have gone if the forecasted GDP for the next 5 years was only 1% growth.

It was much lower in the late seventies but has massively increased with 35 years of tory policies.

He's got nearly every forecast for growth and debt reduction he's ever made wrong though, including not seeing this err "windfall" coming,he's as fuckin hopeless at predicting the future as Brown was.

Getting rid of large scale inequality needs people at the top to actually want to change the circumstances which allow it to happen. Throughout modern history there have been politicians, reformers and philanthropists who have made huge differences to people's lives. Looks to me as if they're now pulling the ladder up and taking silly "I'm alright jack" fuckers like you with them.

He's got nearly every forecast for growth and debt reduction he's ever made wrong though, including not seeing this err "windfall" coming,he's as fuckin hopeless at predicting the future as Brown was.

Getting rid of large scale inequality needs people at the top to actually want to change the circumstances which allow it to happen. Throughout modern history there have been politicians, reformers and philanthropists who have made huge differences to people's lives. Looks to me as if they're now pulling the ladder up and taking silly "I'm alright jack" fuckers like you with them.

Yup.

The whole hiatus around Corbyn is that he has broadened the narrative, regardless of his electability he is trying to re lens the debate in the Labour Party around its original core values. With a Tory party creating this veneer of inlclusiveness its right that Labour needs to stand on its founding principles. Research shows that this is perhaps a message that a generation is hearing for the first time.

The whole hiatus around Corbyn is that he has broadened the narrative, regardless of his electability he is trying to re lens the debate in the Labour Party around its original core values. With a Tory party creating this veneer of inlclusiveness its right that Labour needs to stand on its founding principles. Research shows that this is perhaps a message that a generation is hearing for the first time.

And elections show it doesn't get you power.