Politics

Christmas Tree

Actually the point is less about early retirement than it is about having enough money to no longer have to work, ie financial independence. Once you reach that point, you can continue to work if you want to, but the point is that you have the choice. You can walk away or do something different because the need to work to survive has been removed.

I bet you get to that point massively regretting all those years of depressing home made dinners then gorge yourself to an early grave

The dinner I bring in is much nicer than the muck they sell at the shop, man. How much do you reckon you spend a day on dinner and coffees? I'm gonna blow your crazy mind with some maths.

When I worked in London I would easily spend 30 notes on food and coffee and other shit....Maybe 50 on a Fri cause we'd have a pub lunch. Ridiculous. I'd think of saving money and blow a 10 on an M&S sarnie and proper juice. Absolute fuking mug. Or some cunt would go to the deli and the Billtong shop and we'd all chip in 20 each.....Insanity.

Edited by Park Life

I almost always take food into work. Bit of fruit, raw veg etc. and a couple of wraps. The only other options are a cafe or Gregg's. Don't mind the latter and the former is canny nice but I wouldn't want to be eating there every day from a money or health perspective. That said, after my Xmas do the week before last I'd been to both for a stottie, pastie plus curry sauce and chips before half 11.

I almost always take food into work. Bit of fruit, raw veg etc. and a couple of wraps. The only other options are a cafe or Gregg's. Don't mind the latter and the former is canny nice but I wouldn't want to be eating there every day from a money or health perspective. That said, after my Xmas do the week before last I'd been to both for a stottie, pastie plus curry sauce and chips before half 11.

The best I got to was making Bulgar salads or veggie couscous. ;)

The dinner I bring in is much nicer than the muck they sell at the shop, man. How much do you reckon you spend a day on dinner and coffees? I'm gonna blow your crazy mind with some maths.

The Silence of the Gloom.

I spend about a tenner a day on average I suppose. Sometimes more, sometimes less. There are about 50+ decent places within an easy walk from my office, one of the perks of working in London.

If I'm commuting into the City everyday (one of the shit things about living here) along with all the other rats, I'm fucked if I'm not having a nice dinner prepared by someone else when I get in.

So let's say £2.5k a year. If you got yourself a stocks and shares ISA and invested that every month for the next 25 years and the stock market performed as it has historically, you'd have £125k in 25 years. Your actual investment of £2,500 per year would work out at exactly half that amount (£62.5k), so you've doubled your money.

That money would provide you with a sustainable income in retirement of £5k per year at today's prices. Obviously not enough to live on but a nice amount to add to your pension pot (and incidentally twice what you currently spend on scran per year).

And that £5k a month income that you're drawing wouldn't touch the principle, so that would be available to leave to your kids or splurge before you snuffed it.

Obviously you still need dinner, so you can't just cut that spending out altogether, but if you could take your dinner in for a third of the cost, then you're looking at 80 odd grand instead of 125k.

You need to be really enjoying these quinoa pasties to just disregard the above. :razz:

A few more years of work for me is a fair trade off for not spending the next twenty years living like a miser.

Yeah but a lot of what he's saying doesn't necessarily mean eating like a miser. You could eat in a controlled and healthy way while spending a lot less on it by outsourcing the responsibility (and control).

[emoji38] Seriously I'm livid I didn't stumble across this shit when I was in my 20s or 30s.

I flat out don't think I could have done it in my 20s, would have felt like retirement was too far off to be something that would ever happen to me. Now though, I think it's worth a look.

It isn't miserly to prepare your own food or not drive around in a BMW ffs. [emoji38]

What percentage are you saving atm? 

I'm beginning to see the real motivation behind the no kids thing.

What percentage are you saving atm?

I'm beginning to see the real motivation behind the no kids thing.

It's a good chunk and rising. I'd like it to be higher, but I also like to go on nice holidays/weekends away and to eat out/get takeaways so I'm not gonna go daft and make life miserable.

My main problem in all of this is coming to the party late on, as I mentioned above. I was carrying on like Gloom until fairly recently.

The kid thing definitely helps, although I appreciate that if you want/have kids, then you don't think of things that way at all.

If you've got kids, the last thing you're thinking about is making your packed lunch for the following days work like.

So where else have you cut back? I know you drive a shit car but where does it end? Ditched the cleaner? The mobile phone? Have you started cutting your own hair?

Yeah, nobody with kids could ever make packed lunch for the next day. :lol: It takes about 5 minutes if that. Not long ago you were buying overpriced produce that you got delivered and involved you cooking meals from scratch. Although I suspect you've scrapped that bollocks tbf