Politics

Christmas Tree

30 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

John Redwoods a nutter, at one time the Tory’s versionof Corbyn, thankfully never elected leader.

Hey @Christmas Tree , you must've missed my question again. 'Why did May not respond to the exact same Labour concerns when they were raised in 2016?'

Yawn.

It isn't like that has happened before or anything. Looks to me like he stuck to his principles.

I am kinda curious about this though - why aren't we sharing evidence with the Russians? What is the actual benefit to us of doing that?

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yawn.

It isn't like that has happened before or anything. Looks to me like he stuck to his principles.

I am kinda curious about this though - why aren't we sharing evidence with the Russians? What is the actual benefit to us of doing that?

He did stick to his principles, they just happen to be pro Russian.

As for the chemical weapons used on UK soil, they are sharing them with the worlds governing body for independent verification. A tad more trustworthy than one of Putins lackeys.

Tbh even if he was wrong, how many diplomatically fuckheaded statements have the Tories come out with in the past couple of years?

This whole fiasco is going to be a problem for the right wing anyway - the 'culture war' right wingers are actually very pro-Russia.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

No, he was rightly crucified by Labour MP after Labour MP after Labour MP.

I seem to recall Labour MP, after Labour MP, after Labour MP, trying to unseat him a year ago or so ago. All that matters is how the people who actually voted for him perceive this. The press look like a busted flush when it comes to Corbyn so I'm tempted to think he can say what he likes now.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Tbh even if he was wrong, how many diplomatically fuckheaded statements have the Tories come out with in the past couple of years?

This whole fiasco is going to be a problem for the right wing anyway - the 'culture war' right wingers are actually very pro-Russia.

Fuck me :lol:  A foreign state has just launched a chemical attack on the UK.

I give up.

Just now, Rayvin said:

I seem to recall Labour MP, after Labour MP, after Labour MP, trying to unseat him a year ago or so ago. All that matters is how the people who actually voted for him perceive this. The press look like a busted flush when it comes to Corbyn so I'm tempted to think he can say what he likes now.

Aye, I tend to agree.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

Fuck me :lol:  A foreign state has just launched a chemical attack on the UK.

I give up.

Has it? Is that actually categorically known yet?

I can't even start to get my head around why Russia would do it, but even if they did, what exactly does all of our MPs giving them a telling off do? This is where we are in the world now CT, thanks in part to Brexit. We can do jack shit about this.

Also, can someone explain to me why the notion that we should be following the process that we signed up to with whichever treaty it is that regulates this stuff, shouldn't be followed in this case? That seems to be the crux of what Corbyn is saying, and honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why we wouldn't do this.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Has it? Is that actually categorically known yet?

I can't even start to get my head around why Russia would do it, but even if they did, what exactly does all of our MPs giving them a telling off do? This is where we are in the world now CT, thanks in part to Brexit. We can do jack shit about this.

That's another thing, we're wading into a diplomatic row with a country who'll hand us our arse on a plate if shit gets real and the EU and the USA ( :lol: ) won't help us out. All Corbyn's basically doing is asking if we're absolutely sure about this which, going off the past is a far more reasonable position than how it's being portrayed. Maybe we can play some Edward Elgar really loud or something. That'll show 'em

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

That's another thing, we're wading into a diplomatic row with a country who'll hand us our arse on a plate if shit gets real and the EU and the USA ( :lol: ) won't help us out. All Corbyn's basically doing is asking if we're absolutely sure about this which, going off the past is a far more reasonable position than how it's being portrayed. Maybe we can play some Edward Elgar really loud or something. That'll show 'em

The evidence has been pretty conclusive hasn't it? Doesn't seem the sort of thing worth questioning in public at the moment.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

We can freeze the assets of Putin and his mates. That's the one thing that will really piss him off.

So why not do that? I mean look, we're going to get into a game of tit for tat bullshit now - we'll expel their diplomats, they'll take ours out back and have them shot, we'll complain to the EU for greater sanctions, they'll tell the EU that if this happens, the oil is going to be cut off, and then we'll eventually we'll talk about freezing their assets, and then the Tories will complain that this will financially hurt the Tori--I mean the City of London.

• Like 1

Just now, ewerk said:

The evidence has been pretty conclusive hasn't it? Doesn't seem the sort of thing worth questioning in public at the moment.

I tend to agree that questioning it is politically counter productive.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If it is, why aren't we following the standard procedure? And how do we even know that it is...?

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I tend to agree that questioning it is politically counter productive.

Is it productive in any way? It isn't like the authorities are suddenly going to think twice about it because Corbyn has asked the question.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If it is, why aren't we following the standard procedure? And how do we even know that it is...?

What is the standard procedure? We know it was devised by the Russians because their scientists revealed the formula for it to us after the fall of the USSR.

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So why not do that? I mean look, we're going to get into a game of tit for tat bullshit now - we'll expel their diplomats, they'll take ours out back and have them shot, we'll complain to the EU for greater sanctions, they'll tell the EU that if this happens, the oil is going to be cut off, and then we'll eventually we'll talk about freezing their assets, and then the Tories will complain that this will financially hurt the Tori--I mean the City of London.

We apparently have the power to do it but haven't done so. Labour have backed the Magnitsky amendment but I don't think it has yet become law. When the USA passed their version of it Putin was well fucked off.