Politics

Christmas Tree

Ah of course, so that future generations of women can more easily imagine themselves able to ruin the lives of vast swathes of the country. 

Feminism literally doesn't give a shit about anything other than appearances.

:D I daresay.

But I feel that a variant of feminism that feels putting someone like Thatcher onto a pedestal, after all the harm she caused, is a variant of feminism that needs some criticism, don't you?

57 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What if Hitler had’ve been a woman, eh? Would we have been erecting statues to her?

I actually typed that same thing out and then decided that people would misconstrue it as a recommendation :D

Edited by Rayvin

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

:D I daresay.

But I feel that a variant of feminism that feels putting someone like Thatcher onto a pedestal, after all the harm she caused, is a variant of feminism that needs some criticism, don't you?

It's a variant of feminism now, is it? ;)

Russian democracy :lol:

What I don't understand is why he doesn't dispense with it altogether. Is there really anyone in Russia, or the world, who doesn't understand what is going on?

The centre left is having to choose between being Tory or being actual left. In the same way that centre-left voters are. For the same reason that Labour can't really just abandon Corbynism now, the centre left can't just up sticks and try to offer something else. For one thing, they'll find the Tories are sitting firmly where they used to on many issues, and for another, there is no compelling narrative for them to do this with. The Lib Dems tried with Brexit and Remain and were obliterated once again.

On the left, Corbyn is the only game in town, and he has at least another election to prove this - especially now that the party seems to have forced some concessions from him on Brexit.

32 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The centre left is having to choose between being Tory or being actual left. In the same way that centre-left voters are. For the same reason that Labour can't really just abandon Corbynism now, the centre left can't just up sticks and try to offer something else. For one thing, they'll find the Tories are sitting firmly where they used to on many issues, and for another, there is no compelling narrative for them to do this with. The Lib Dems tried with Brexit and Remain and were obliterated once again.

On the left, Corbyn is the only game in town, and he has at least another election to prove this - especially now that the party seems to have forced some concessions from him on Brexit.

I think there’s a lot of people caught between the two. 

I like some leftish policies but I wouldn’t want the whole fruit basket (IMO) that comes with them.

As always with most politicians I presume the centrists are too worried about their jobs to go it alone. It’s got to come soon though.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think there’s a lot of people caught between the two. 

I like some leftish policies but I wouldn’t want the whole fruit basket (IMO) that comes with them.

As always with most politicians I presume the centrists are too worried about their jobs to go it alone. It’s got to come soon though.

Ask yourself what platform they stand on to launch this party, and I suspect you'll have the answer as to why it hasn't happened yet. Research shows that if people look at policies alone, they choose a collection of ideas that are more left wing than where Labour are presently. So they aren't going to have policy to rely on. They'd have to go for 'compassionate realism'. And honestly, isn't that what the Lib Dems are doing? It isn't working.

The only thing a centre left party could do, is split Labour's vote and gift the Tories another election win. Everyone on the left knows this. Why would any of us choose it?

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ask yourself what platform they stand on to launch this party, and I suspect you'll have the answer as to why it hasn't happened yet. Research shows that if people look at policies alone, they choose a collection of ideas that are more left wing than where Labour are presently. So they aren't going to have policy to rely on. They'd have to go for 'compassionate realism'. And honestly, isn't that what the Lib Dems are doing? It isn't working.

The only thing a centre left party could do, is split Labour's vote and gift the Tories another election win. Everyone on the left knows this. Why would any of us choose it?

Well I know you wouldn’t choose it but there are many Labour MP’s who are naturally closer to conservative policy than Corbyn / Mcdonell. 

I suppose its all the grass root root machinery that really scuppers it.