Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, SpaceCadet said:

Sweden (Scandinavia's wealthiest nation) has dropped from 4th to 13 in richest countries since 1960 (the introduction of the welfare state).

Btw, I just looked this up for you (don't thank me, it's ok). According to the report, the State grew rapidly in the 1960s and by 1975 Sweden was the 4th richest nation in the world (again, this seems unlikely to me, but it's according to the report you seem to be referring to, it's not my claim). They've subsequently dropped down (again according to this report). Whatever the case, that seems like a rather weird way of manipulating figures to fit an argument. I.e. it's apparently saying the increase (not the introduction) of the welfare state there in the 1960s had nothing to do with Sweden becoming the 4th richest a decade or so later but it had everything to do with Sweden subsequently becoming 'only' the 13th richest country in the world by the mid-90s (what's happened since then? That's over 20 years ago. Again this seems like an odd place to stop looking at the picture since the report in question only came out in 2015). Now, I'll confess that I've only looked at an article that refers to this report and I haven't read the report itself. I know you will have done so though, so maybe you can fill in the gaps. Either that or finish colouring your arm in

Edited by Alex

37 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And yet Scandinavian countries make up five of the world's top ten happiest countries. They must be getting something right.

The blart must help

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Sweden are doing well in employment by their standards at 6.4% whereas Britain are at 4.3%

We can get even better. 

Less benefits scroungers like you would be a start.

Subsidised by the State, living in subsidised housing, paid for by progressive taxation, which you are apparently against.

Turkeys.

• Like 1

We've been here before, Jerky, you got a "great price" on your house because it was heavily subsidised by the State.  It's how these schemes work.

That means that had you paid the going rate for it, it would have been a lot more expensive.  You were helped by the government, with a hand-out.  Hope that helps to clear things up.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Doesnt matter if wealth inequality is low if every bugger is poorer.

Corbyn, but more importantly the cult behind him pulling the strings at the top of momentum are extremely hard left.

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Corbyn, but more importantly the cult behind him pulling the strings at the top of momentum are extremely hard left.

The Conservatives scored an own goal with the ill timed dementia tax right before an election the party barely campaigned for and still JC couldn't get into number 10 so barring a catostrophic error the next election Corbyn will be buried and Momentum wI'll fizz out like a fart in the wind.

Edited by SpaceCadet

5 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

The Conservatives scored an own goal with the ill timed dementia tax right before an election the party barely campaigned for and still JC couldn't get into number 10 so barring a catostrophic error the next election Corbyn will be buried and Momentum wI'll fizz out like a fart in the wind.

I pretty much agree. 

Corbyn was miles behind in the polls untill the free stuff for everyone manifesto dropped. It was a pure old election bribe of the worst kind yet still couldn’t get them in.

In 2022, Brexit will be put to bed, austerity over and Maybot won’t be running.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I pretty much agree. 

Corbyn was miles behind in the polls untill the free stuff for everyone manifesto dropped. It was a pure old election bribe of the worst kind yet still couldn’t get them in.

2022 should mean the best UK government since 1990.

Ah yes, resort to "humour" when you can't argue your point/don't understand others'.

Feckin' chuckle brothers of Economics and both broke as shite.

On the bright side, I'm more likely to vote in my own self-interests in the future.

43 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It does. They aren’t 

11 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Don't be so bitter or father Christmas will put a lump of coal in your stocking, oh wait... That's unlikely also thanks to Maggie :lol:

You’re not stupid enough to miscomprehend the point to that degree but not clever enough to twist the argument convincingly. 

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I pretty much agree. 

Seems odd that voted for him though