Politics

Christmas Tree

Dunno like...the Lawrence case is something that's undergone due process where evidence has been weighed at length and the facts now speak for themselves. Opinion should probably have little to do with it. Abbot on the other hand is a member of the shadow cabinet in a position of responsibility mouthing off badly ill informed racist opinion on social media. The only recourse people really have is to tell her she's talking shit, hence the response.

You could write a letter to someone, if you were enough of a sad bastard. If she said it on telly send in a complaint, get everyone on twatfeed to sign a petition, because the only thing worth getting politicized about is Diane fucking Abbot saying words in a particular order--forget about the global financial crisis, ME conflict, 3rd world poverty, forget it: Diane Abbott has just made a tweet.

Being young I didn't really know the details of the Stephen Lawrence case, and having just read a bit about it I'm genuinely shocked and appalled at the handling of that case.

Similar to my thoughts like. Also, it's pretty hard to fully explain yourself in 140 characters. Which is something she probably should've thought about. Then again she loves the sound of her own voice.

Yeah, at least some of the people have been brought to account for it. The Panorama the other night was thoroughly depressing viewing like. As (i would imagine) any subsequent debate on here would've been. Not mentioning any names of course ;)

Didn't see the Panorama mate, will have to have a look out for it on demand. I know it's not the perfect outcome in that sense, but I think that's a matter purely of evidence now (ie if they had it they'd prosecute), rather than politics. Once it was clearly a matter of politics (original investigation), which is obviously why the case took on a level of national interest over and above the average murder. I think that's when opinion really played a part and when it was right and proper that it did. Now it's a matter of pure evidence for the courts, as it always should have been from day one.

Yeah, at least some of the people have been brought to account for it. The Panorama the other night was thoroughly depressing viewing like. As (i would imagine) any subsequent debate on here would've been. Not mentioning any names of course ;)

Didn't see the Panorama mate, will have to have a look out for it on demand. I know it's not the perfect outcome in that sense, but I think that's a matter purely of evidence now (ie if they had it they'd prosecute), rather than politics. Once it was clearly a matter of politics (original investigation), which is obviously why the case took on a level of national interest over and above the average murder. I think that's when opinion really played a part and when it was right and proper that it did. Now it's a matter of pure evidence for the courts, as it always should have been from day one.

It was more about the original handling of the case although it did obviously take into account the new trial and subsequent convictions. I knew most of the details from the time and the inquiry etc. but going over it all again it was (as I said) very depressing when you got into the detail of just how incompetent the original police handling of the case was. I suppose a lot of good probably came out of that in the end but still....

Dunno like...the Lawrence case is something that's undergone due process where evidence has been weighed at length and the facts now speak for themselves. Opinion should probably have little to do with it. Abbot on the other hand is a member of the shadow cabinet in a position of responsibility mouthing off badly ill informed racist opinion on social media. The only recourse people really have is to tell her she's talking shit, hence the response.

You could write a letter to someone, if you were enough of a sad bastard. If she said it on telly send in a complaint, get everyone on twatfeed to sign a petition, because the only thing worth getting politicized about is Diane fucking Abbot saying words in a particular order--forget about the global financial crisis, ME conflict, 3rd world poverty, forget it: Diane Abbott has just made a tweet.

Being young I didn't really know the details of the Stephen Lawrence case, and having just read a bit about it I'm genuinely shocked and appalled at the handling of that case.

:lol: Can you back off the mic a bit? I'm not that arsed either way tbh. I'm not on Twitter - I think people talk enough shit as it is because by and large theyre not arsed what they say as long as they're getting attention and Twitter just makes that trait even worse. Abbot deserves to be told to pipe down though. She's probably everything a local MP should be but the last thing a policy shaper should be and as long as she's the latter people are right to pull her up about her prejudices.

It was more about the original handling of the case although it did obviously take into account the new trial and subsequent convictions. I knew most of the details from the time and the inquiry etc. but going over it all again it was (as I said) very depressing when you got into the detail of just how incompetent the original police handling of the case was. I suppose a lot of good probably came out of that in the end but still....

It was a fucking disgrace. I think two of the blokes involved went on to assault an off-duty (black) police officer years later. I don't know what happened as a result of the case, but the police should have been punished severely; they're meant to serve society and they wilfully neglected a case that has resulted in a group of criminal scumbags walking free when they should be IN JAILLLLLLLLL.

I don't know what happened as a result of the case, but the police should have been punished severely; they're meant to serve society and they wilfully neglected a case that has resulted in a group of criminal scumbags walking free when they should be IN JAILLLLLLLLL.

There was a pretty thorough inquiry that concluded that the Met were institutionally racist and had many other recommendations for police and criminal reform, including the abolition of double jeopardy.

So it's not like it was all brushed under the carpet.

:lol: I wasn't referring to YOU in particular; just the things people get worked up about these days.

OH NOES Jeremy Clarkson has said something mildly controversial, time to take a stand. NEVER FORGET.

:lol:

The fact is YOU would rather throw pigs heads at our troops from your ivory tower than deal with the REAL issues in this country-namely Diane Abbot sending hyperglycemic Twitter remarks from the Westminster canteen.

I don't know what happened as a result of the case, but the police should have been punished severely; they're meant to serve society and they wilfully neglected a case that has resulted in a group of criminal scumbags walking free when they should be IN JAILLLLLLLLL.

There was a pretty thorough inquiry that concluded that the Met were institutionally racist and had many other recommendations for police and criminal reform, including the abolition of double jeopardy.

So it's not like it was all brushed under the carpet.

When I said I don't know what happened as a result I meant to the individuals involved in the investigation. People should have been sacked. If you're in a position of great responsibility, there needs to be appropriate accountability also. The neglect of duty displayed in that case was absolutely unacceptable.

And when I see Martin Bashir on Newsnight rattling on in his whiny, condescending voice, "ahem Jeremy? Excuse me Jeremy, I have something to say. I'm Martin Bashir and I think justice HAS been done," I'm thinking, fuck off Bashir, you duplicitous cock-barrel--if there is any justice now it will only be partial justice: our justice system failed comprehensively to deliver when it was required.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Labour Must Agree Cuts To Be Credible

Labour's shadow defence secretary has said his party must accept public spending cuts if they are to be credible.

The Opposition needs to avoid the "shallow and temporary" populism of opposing every Government plan to slash budgets, Jim Murphy said.

He was referring to his own policy area and said he would be prepared to accept £5bn worth of cuts at the Ministry of Defence.

But his remarks contribute to a wider debate for Labour over how to beat the Conservatives in the polls when it comes to the economy.

Despite growing unemployment and a recent ComRes/ITV poll suggesting 59% believe the Government should scale back its cuts if the economy does not recover soon, last month's Guardian/ICM poll showed Labour still trail behind the Tories on the economy.

"There is a difference between populism and popularity," Mr Murphy, campaign manager for David Miliband at the last leadership contest, told the Guardian.

"Credibility is the bridge away from populism and towards popularity. It is difficult to sustain popularity without genuine credibility.

"At a time on defence when the government is neither credible nor popular it is compulsory that Labour is both."

His intervention comes shortly after one of Labour leader Ed Miliband's policy gurus, Lord Glasman, described the party's economic strategy as "all crap".

In an article for the New Statesman, in which he reiterated his support for Mr Miliband's leadership, he also warned the party seemed to have "no strategy, no narrative and little energy".

Ed Milliband with his own Twitter faux pas today in the wake of Abbott's shit the other day. Must have been going some to fuck up anything as un-related as Bob Holness passing away.

http://bakercatherine.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/whats-the-opposite-of-irredentism-or-sounds-of-a-different-borderland/

Blog post by an academic friend on the Scotland independence question and what happens to "us lot" (my words - she's from the south) if it becomes a reality. Could have gone in a music/pop culture thread too, I suppose, but the background is fundamentally political. Be kind. ;)

As I've mentioned before, I'm not sure it's hit home to people in the north east exactly what Scottish independence would entail - i.e. Tory governments from here til Kingdom come.

What would independence mean for non-ethnically-Scottish English residents who would prefer to settle in a social democratic Scotland than a Conservative, non-EU England, even though it meant leaving home? For those with ongoing healthcare needs, or people who fear living without EU anti-discrimination legislation, it’s not just an academic question.

Author hasn't brought into account the fact that without the English taxpayer funding their social amenities Scotland wouldn't be such a haven for those types of people.

spend spend spend let imigrants into the country like mad wasted money on stupid pointless things and not regulating things properly

At one point all the Tories kept on talking about was how they were going to match Labour's spending plans.