Has financial criminality caused you to move bank?

Happy Face

There are 5 main UK banks (HSBC, Lloyds, RBS, Barclays, Standard Chartered) and every one of them has incurred massive fines due to their criminal behaviour. None of these fines match the profits made on the back of criminal behaviour, no-one has been jailed for the crimes and no new regulations have been put in place to ensure any restraint in future.

Do you bank with any of them? What would it take for you to switch?

Do you hunt the best deal and take the best offer for your financial wellbeing? Do you just leave your money in one bank and not pay any attention to the rate you get from them or the criminality they engage in?

I folow it all closely and am more disgusted than most people i talk to.....yet I've still got a mortgage and a current account with Halifax (owned by Lloyds). i have an occasional moment of clarity where I realise i am part of the problem....but then I get an excellent deal :blush2:

Anyone else got more morals and moved all their money into the co-op?

Me!

I was with Barclays, moved to Lloyds and am now with the Co-op.

Fuck all to do with Morals though, more their mortgage was the best offer ;)

i don't feel too guilty about using HSBC for my retail banking needs. They're all pretty much as bad as each other. What you going to do?

Rob one?

I'm game if someone can come up with a fool proof plan

With RBS for current account, loyal because their customer service has been brilliant. Will even move branch to Edinburgh when I have to.

Mortgage with virgin money (northern rock). Unbelievable life time deal that I will I unfortunately soon have to forego when I move house.

All banks are a bit dodgy in the end though, as witnessed recently with the holy co-op.

Been with Barclays since a boy and have a superb tracker with them which is something like boe base rate plus half a point.

Also have a Halifax account but don't really use it much.

2 direct debits on the Halifax one and they'll give you £5 a month :)

I have my wages paid into Halifax and a standing order to move them straight into Santander the next day, leaving enough for my contact lens and mortgage DD for the sole reason of getting that free money. It's a couple of pints :D

I was the same with Barclays. Opened an account as a student and never thought of changing for over a decade, despite them giving me fuck all in return.

Ignoring the morality, it pays to switch your bank regularly though, as you would your phone, gas, electric, tv etc

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

If they have moved away from the personal service why do customers still have the "bank for life" attitude that fills their coffers?

Pretty much, at least when it comes to my main current account - it's a faff changing standing orders, direct debits, stored debit card details on websites etc., especially at regular intervals and when most current accounts give you pretty much fuck-all anyway. Savings/ISAs are a different matter and I'll always take a look around there.

Never been overly bothered by the morals of the thing really. I know it's hypocritical of me to shrug and say "they're all as bad as each other" when I hate it when people say the same about politicians (for example), but the magnitude of the dubiousness that most financial institutions have been involved in makes it hard to relativise my own decisions on the high street.

Don't the banks now change all your direct debits and standing orders automatically when you switch?

I've been with HSBC for about 7 years, when I joined they gave me a £5k interest free loan. The nearest branch is about 30 miles away but I've never had reason to visit the branch since I joined them.

I also have a near dormant account with Ulster Bank (RBS) that I use for a odd cheque I need to lodge and another one for mortgage payments.

Pretty much, at least when it comes to my main current account - it's a faff changing standing orders, direct debits, stored debit card details on websites etc., especially at regular intervals and when most current accounts give you pretty much fuck-all anyway. Savings/ISAs are a different matter and I'll always take a look around there.

Yeah, as discussed, the new bank do it all for you...and monitor requests on the old account for 12-18 months to make sure nothing gets forgotten.

It's like doing an energy switch, all you need to do is apply and they do everything else.

I think some current accounts offer much better deals than others and it's well worth shopping around. The Santander current account gives a better rate of interest than most ISA's out there at the moment (3%). I've moved all my savings into the current account and don't need to worry about switching it or re-applying every year for the highest rate. Obviously it's not tax free that way unfortunately.

Cashback on all gas, electric, water, phone, council tax, mortgage, internet etc. bills too with no faffing on to get it with points or owt, just paid directly into your account.

I'm starting to feel like CT in my lack of independent curiosity. And if that creeping sense of shame doesn't make me investigate, nothing will.

The hard work comes in adding your new card details to every website ;)

The banks will inevitably fuck up any switch over causing massive ball ache.

All this switching stuff pisses me off, never used to be like this when a bank was for life, only one utility provider, BT, etc. Seriously, who has the time to constantly look for a better deal? Plus the inordinate hassle from cold calling etc. Grrrrrr....

photo-143.jpg?_r=1389087092photo-109.jpg?_r=1388996679photo-5696.jpg?_r=1386542381av-149.jpg?_r=0photo-37.jpg?_r=1388908722photo-465.jpg?_r=1371403960

Kanayo-chiemelu.jpg

"May I first of all thank all of the above Toontastic posters for informing myself of your banking preferences. Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.
The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:
(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.
( B) your private telephone and fax numbers —for confidentiality and easy communication.
© your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.
Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.
Please reply urgently.
Best regards
Howgul Abul Arhu"

I've been with HSBC since I first opened an account. I'm too passive with these things, the account is fine so I just can't be bothered to think about changing for any reason.

I'm impressed people are so well off to turn their noise up at the free £100 or whatever for switching.

If that's the case, I recommend everyone do it and give the money to SBR. That must be worth the half hour application ;)

I was with First Direct for years but when I got into a bit of financial difficulties when I stopped being a contractor they fucked me over big style so I moved to Abbey which is now Santander. They talk up how its very much a UK company but I still think they'd struggle if Spain goes more tits up. If I won the lotery I certainly wouldn't deposit any sizeble cash with them.

I did consider the Co-op years ago as well as I knew they did consider themselves ethical but by Mam used to bank with them and they upset her with crass customer service when my Dad died so they're on my blacklist of companies as well.

In my more ethical moments (which is hard considering the industry I work in) I think about moving to the Nationwide as its still a mutual as far as I know.

I had been with TSB and then L/TSB since I was 14 but changed to Santander for £200 a couple of years back :thumbup:

Then they removed the charge (£10/month as opposed to £25 L/TSB) from the account and withdrew all benefits (home/travel/phone insurance etc etc) last year, which is in line with quite a few others I think?

May well be tempted to move again if the right offer came up...any recommendations?..