Minutes from the latest fans' forum

Tooj

Right but then they were heavily controlled by the police weren't they? Which we're saying may not happen this time given the current position of both sides.

I'm not saying anything will happen, but somewhere down the line someone at the club has considered it and thought the commercials outweighed the risk.

I don't think they're saying that the police will just not bother somehow if it was a 17:30 game - just saying its up to to the clubs to pick the time then up to the coppers to just get on with it.

Bearing in mind I've been to derbies in the past at 3pm on Saturdays and on nights - it was only in the mid eighties (funnily enough after a gap of a couple of years with no games) that the police started fucking around with KO times.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're saying that the police will just not bother somehow if it was a 17:30 game - just saying its up to to the clubs to pick the time then up to the coppers to just get on with it.

Bearing in mind I've been to derbies in the past at 3pm on Saturdays and on nights - it was only in the mid eighties (funnily enough after a gap of a couple of years with no games) that the police started fucking around with KO times.

Ok mate, you've got more experience on this one than I do. :good:

I guess I'm reassured by what you're saying anyway, so thanks for that.

We didn't play them from 85 till 89...twatted them 3 nowt new years day 85 @ 3pm! then in 89 when us, them and Boro were all in divi 2 all derbies were Sunday at midday until the mid nineties.

Pedant corner - 3-1 and the first stupid KO I recall was Easter 85 at Roker (loads in the Fulwell end)

Assistant Chief Constable Jo Farrell grunted: "As we have said previously Northumbria Police cannot direct changes to kick-off times or control the issue of tickets and how supporters travel to matches."

Another failure of 'honesty and integrity'.

Pedant corner - 3-1 and the first stupid KO I recall was Easter 85 at Roker (loads in the Fulwell end)

:blush:

That's the street cred fucked for this year and we're not out the first week of January :lol:

I thought it was a normal kick off time when the NME took the Fulwell, but am certainly not in a position to argue this evening :D

The match should be played as early in the day as possible. You only need to check in on the forums of either club, where you've got empty headed morons bragging about starting drinking at 7am for a half 12 kick off, to see that Northumbria Police know their customers.

There's a reason why they start drinking early. Something to do with an early kick off I think. :lol: A three o 'clock KO might see them out for traditional opening time instead. (And being pissed at a football game doesn't automatically mean you're going to cause trouble otherwise there'd be thousands nicked every week).

As for the minutes. Why didn't anyone ask them how many people on the NUFC payroll were out there trying to get better commercial deals and what were their qualifications? A complete farce, really.

There's a reason why they start drinking early. Something to do with an early kick off I think. :lol: A three o 'clock KO might see them out for traditional opening time instead. (And being pissed at a football game doesn't automatically mean you're going to cause trouble otherwise there'd be thousands nicked every week).

Ah that all makes perfect sense now, and seems thoroughly reasonable and responsible behaviour.

Ah that all makes perfect sense now, and seems thoroughly reasonable and responsible behaviour.

No less responsible than the behavior of fans at any of the worlds major derbies that are policed after 1.30pm though.

If the police treated it like any other game then perhaps less of the idiots would think of it as an occasion to get uber Mortal as early as possible.

Would it though? Much in the same way that later opening hours for bars and clubs was supposed to discourage binge drinking. I think it's been happening that long that people would just start on the drink at the same time and be even more pissed come kick off.

Though I think it's certainly worth trialing later kick offs for a season and seeing how it goes. Many of the police's fears could be totally unfounded.

Would it though? Much in the same way that later opening hours for bars and clubs was supposed to discourage binge drinking. I think it's been happening that long that people would just start on the drink at the same time and be even more pissed come kick off.

Though I think it's certainly worth trialing later kick offs for a season and seeing how it goes. Many of the police's fears could be totally unfounded.

An 8pm kick off would mean most of the bairns involved in any trouble the past few years would have to be at home for school the next day.

I hate the early kick off derbies as does the vast majority of fans. Adults want to be able to have a few pints with other likeminded adults before the game, most will be over the moon going out at a 'normal' time. Maybe a few younger fans might find it harder to get out of the seven o clock drinking habit but they aren't the majority. It's a vote for common sense this. There's far, far too much scaremongering over this fixture mind. :lol:

I hate the early kick off derbies as does the vast majority of fans. Adults want to be able to have a few pints with other likeminded adults before the game, most will be over the moon going out at a 'normal' time. Maybe a few younger fans might find it harder to get out of the seven o clock drinking habit but they aren't the majority. It's a vote for common sense this. There's far, far too much scaremongering over this fixture mind. :lol: 

Tell that to the police horses. :razz:

Seriously though, how many arrests were there? 39 or so out of 52,000 people? How many arrests in Notting Hill? How many stabbings etc? Do they have an early kick off too?

A million attendees last year, 300 arrests. Some rather more serious crimes than horse-punching though, so it's all relative.

A million attendees last year, 300 arrests. Some rather more serious crimes than horse-punching though, so it's all relative.

175 wasn't it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24476130

The way those ONS numbers were publicised as Newcastle fans being the worst scum was a disgrace though.

The numbers were massively weighted by the 100 divvy kids who weren't even at the Sunderland game all arrested in 1 day.

Look at travelling fans in 12/13 and Newcastle have less arrests (15) than all but the most poorly supported teams in the Premier league (Norwich, West Brom, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, QPR and Swansea).

Fans which travel in similar numbers to us (or less) are much higher in terms of arrests made...

Man U 55

Man City 44

West Ham 42

Chelsea 37

Everton 35

Villa 27

Arsenal 26

Mackems 25

Stoke 24

Tottenham 23

Liverpool 21

That's a true reflection of the behaviour of fans in stadiums. A similar story comes out of the banning orders fans have received with Newcastle fans dwarfed by Man U, West Ham, Chelsea and co.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/248740/Football_Arrest_BO_Statistics_2012-13.pdf

One would think there was some sort of southern bias to the press reporting of hooliganism.

99% of the people being kept apart are like pissheads in a pub as well. "Hold me back!" If you didn't keep them separated they'd put their heads down, cover their colours and get on their way.

They love the confrontation as long as it comes with the safety the police barrier affords them.