Speeding Fines

Kid Dynamite

you might be ok at 60 because the speedo over reads. you may actually only of been doing 56 or 57. They aren't likely to issue a ticket at any less than 57.

They only have 14 days for the letter to reach you from the date of offence, anything after 14 days is not valid, keep the envelope it arrives in because it may have a date stamp for the day it was posted.

Had the exact same scenario a couple of months ago - in the changeover from 50 to 70 there was a high viz vest with a radar gun pointing it at the traffic.

I went past at about 60 i'd guess but thankfully never received a ticket, so you might not get anything. They've got a fortnight to issue a fine otherwise they aren't legally allowed to do so. No point doing owt until you actually get a letter.

Edit - 2 week fine period confirmed by the above post.

Best website for actual advice on speeding fines and how to see if they're right to fine you: http://www.pepipoo.com/

I think that there is a certain amount of truth in it due to the fact that the cameras aren't 100% accurate and so there is a margin of error allowed.

It is a joke where the cops situate themselves at time, they'll often sit at locations where there's a change in the speed limit purely to get as many as quickly as they can rather than sit at locations where there's less people speeding but more chance of speeding causing injuries i.e. built up residential areas.

I think that there is a certain amount of truth in it due to the fact that the cameras aren't 100% accurate and so there is a margin of error allowed.

It is a joke where the cops situate themselves at time, they'll often sit at locations where there's a change in the speed limit purely to get as many as quickly as they can rather than sit at locations where there's less people speeding but more chance of speeding causing injuries i.e. built up residential areas.

I keep hearing and reading the sob story - they get less money off the government year upon year.

Still lots of time left in the day to sit in lay-bys and put silly cameras by the side of the road.

This is probably why they don't attend burglaries until 3 days afterwards. Cut the fuckers some more.

It's 10% because car speedometers are set to show 10% faster than they are actually travelling

So you can get away with your speedo showing 35 in a 30 or 70 in a 60 then. Tricky business...

it doesn't because it's nonsense by law they're not allowed to have more than a margin of error of 5% (2.5+/-) so setting them deliberately show something else is just false, and the +/- is to allow for things like steps in tyre size change

They're as accurate as they can manage and at something like 70mph shouldn't be more than 1-2mph out max

Why are my sat nav and car Speedo out by at least 5 mph at 70 then? Been the same for my previous car too, I had assumed sat nav using GPS would be the gold standard.

"We're after your help, too. Security footage of a speedophile disguised as a traffic police training school. He's been getting away with it just off the A167 for twelve years. Do you know him? Have you seen him? Please call."

it doesn't because it's nonsense by law they're not allowed to have more than a margin of error of 5% (2.5+/-) so setting them deliberately show something else is just false, and the +/- is to allow for things like steps in tyre size change

They're as accurate as they can manage and at something like 70mph shouldn't be more than 1-2m

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-accurate-is-a-car-speedometer/

Although this does not mean they know any better than anyone else.

Another thing i notice is that my sat nav always shows a speed approximately 10% percent slower than my speedometer shows nearly all of the time.

It will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Of course, there's always the crazy option of not breaking the limit.

Just saying ;)

I was hoping to be the first to say it :lol:

Never understood people moaning about "sneaky" police hiding behind bushes to catch you out. Do they moan that shops have CCTV in not too obvious places so when you are on the rob you don't know you are being recorded?

I was hoping to be the first to say it :lol:

Never understood people moaning about "sneaky" police hiding behind bushes to catch you out. Do they moan that shops have CCTV in not too obvious places so when you are on the rob you don't know you are being recorded?

But when speeding takes precedence over crimes like burglary the argument falls flat on its face

Edited by desmondTUTU

I'm perfectly happy speeding on a motorway if the conditions are OK - traffic and weatherwise I mean. Main problem is looking out for cameras and police. Its not speed that's dangerous in that situation, it's idiotic driving (tailgating etc). I can't stand idiots that speed in built up areas though.

The argument against speed cameras etc for me always seems to come back to this principle that they're using it as an additional tax. And tbh, maybe there's some truth in that - if everyone really wants to reduce speeding though (and fwiw I agree motorway speeding is a bit irrelevant) then they should use the cameras but give the proceeds to cover hospital costs for those hit by careless drivers or something like that (you get the idea), minus the money needed to keep maintain the equipment.

Then no one could argue about it from the money point of view - which is a bit of a red herring on both sides now anyway.