Other Games 14/15 - Football fans feel the same about stuff, except stuff like Western Sydney Wanderers, because no one gives a shit about them.

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it bollocks. In the last twenty minutes of the game they were still knocking it round the final third and sticking in shite crosses with no one in the box to attack them. They certainly deserved to go out over the two legs.

You reckon? At least they had the spirit to get to 2-0. If they hadn't ballsed up the first leg they'd have been through comfortably.

Imagine if we were in that position, needing a 3-0 win. We'd have lost 4-0.

:lol:

English teams have been done over in Europe this year like. Nee way Man City are going to get owt at the Nou Camp.

The premier league is becoming more and more a PR driven sham. French clubs have put two of our "top" sides out of the champions league in the last week. Not Spanish or Germans. English clubs have won it twice in a decade, both times on pens and one of them was an all English final . We've got all the money but little of the know how. Sky can say what they like, but the facts a glaring and don't lie.

Was it bollocks. In the last twenty minutes of the game they were still knocking it round the final third and sticking in shite crosses with no one in the box to attack them. They certainly deserved to go out over the two legs.

I agree.

The premier league is becoming more and more a PR driven sham. French clubs have put two of our "top" sides out of the champions league in the last week. Not Spanish or Germans. English clubs have won it twice in a decade, both times on pens and one of them was an all English final . We've got all the money but little of the know how. Sky can say what they like, but the facts a glaring and don't lie.

I agree.

I think this is a particularly poor season, but isn't the argument that the Premier League is the "best" in the world more about excitement of the matches that happen every week, rather than being the best in terms of quality?

I don't necessarily agree with that, I think a league with 13 teams simply aiming to survive (and therefore being more likely to go for a point than risk all 3) is much less exciting than a league where any team from about 8 are gunning for automatic promotion at the beginning, then scrapping for playoffs at the end.

That said, I think it's reasonable to argue that La Liga, Ligue Un and the Bundesliga are less exciting than the Premier League. Their top teams may be immeasurably better in European competitions than their English counterparts, but I think there's more quality (in terms of players) in the Premier League than there is in those leagues outside the top few spots. Again, this season isn't a great example, but I think that's as much to do with a stubborn refusal of the smaller clubs to evolve (sunderland, QPR, Villa) as it is the cost of relegation being greater than ever before.

Leicester, Burnley, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham, even Everton have played some decent football this season. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs have at times played breath-taking football.

It's teams like us, Palace, QPR, sunderland, Villa, West Brom who let the "brand" down. The football might be shit, but there's the personnel at the club to play better than the coaches allow.

Make no mistake outside of PSG, Monaco, Barce, the Madrids & Valencia the rest of those league are pretty turgid themselves, but who the fuck watches Reims v Lens?

Edited by The Fish

Are you confusing my saying "more quality" in the lower reaches of the Prem than it's European counterparts, with me saying there is High Quality?

Again I think there's an attitude about the Premier League because we're saturated in it, we see so much of it's flaws, but we don't have anywhere near that exposure to the European Leagues so we assume they're better.

Elche v Almeria is not more exciting than Leicester v Burnley. And there's not more quality in the Spanish shit than there is in the English.

Are you confusing my saying "more quality" in the lower reaches of the Prem than it's European counterparts, with me saying there is High Quality?

No

Again I think there's an attitude about the Premier League because we're saturated in it, we see so much of it's flaws, but we don't have anywhere near that exposure to the European Leagues so we assume they're better.

Elche v Almeria is not more exciting than Leicester v Burnley. And there's not more quality in the Spanish shit than there is in the English.

The point is both our leading and run of the mill clubs are, despite being the richest on the planet, well behind other countries elites and mostly have been for the past decade in the case of the likes of Manu and Chelsea etc and our shite is as shite ad their shite. What's Elches playing budget compared with Hull's?

There's definitely an argument that the riches available should make the Premier League the best quality league ever, but that's more to do with clubs being badly run than anything else.

Should try be better than they are? Absolutely. Are they better than the continental equivalents? Yep.

There's an obvious counter to this I know (i.e. the importance of the Premier League) but if our middling clubs are better than their European counterparts you would expect a higher degree of success in the Uefa Cup, even taking that caveat into account.

There's an obvious counter to this I know (i.e. the importance of the Premier League) but if our middling clubs are better than their European counterparts you would expect a higher degree of success in the Uefa Cup, even taking that caveat into account.

There are 5 Italian clubs still in the Europa League; is Serie A superior to Ligue Un? The Bundesliga?

I don't think a cup competition is a great way of comparing leagues.

Honestly, the other European leagues aren't of a higher quality than the premier league, even if the top few clubs are.

There are 5 Italian clubs still in the Europa League; is Serie A superior to Ligue Un? The Bundesliga?

I don't think a cup competition is a great way of comparing leagues.

Honestly, the other European leagues aren't of a higher quality than the premier league, even if the top few clubs are.

The first question is daft because it ignores the performance of those other leagues in the Champions League. Also, I wasn't just talking about this year. And I think using a cup competition over a number of seasons is a perfectly valid means of comparison. The Uefa Cup is particularly apt as you were seeking to compare middling clubs from different countries' top flights.

I was comparing the lower reaches. Also, the caveat you mentioned before is valid. Europa league success isn't better than remaining in the Premier League for English clubs.

How often do the English clubs take it seriously?

End of the day I'm not saying the Premier League is the best, just that people stating its poor compared to the others are just saying that because they don't watch the other leagues as much.

Familiarity breeding contempt and all that.