Villa (A)

ClubSpinDoctor

Every old timer I know is even more angry than the KBJ because they seemed to have gotten away from supporting a selling club only to be back in the same ambitionless boat they were 30 year ago.

If anything its only the 20 year olds and younger who have lived with Ashley most of their supporting life who are least angry and only see it as what they've always known.

just personal experience, but the only non internet arguments I've had with Ashley apologists have been with tubby, badly dressed hipsters with really shit haircuts in their late twenties.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CT you started out insinuating that the over 40s barely raise a murmur .

Don't be a drama queen man I've never said that at all. I said very plainly, that it your time following Newcastle started around the Keegan good days, then you would probably feel worse about this period. Bit like twenty something man u fans today.

I think anyone who followed us through much leaner times in the 80's, while still not happy, would have a slightly different perspective on the last few years.

I said on here years ago that I will never have the same ride as a Newcastle fan going from Ossie to KK and what followed. It just can't happen again.

If you feel differently fine, but don't turn it into a superfan Willy waving contest, particularly comparing being a Newcastle fan living a 5 iron shot from Sunderland to those of you born and bred on Tyneside man :lol:

Cheers, I hadnt.

I wasn't implying KBJ @@Alex I was simply saying that fans who got into it around that time with have a bigger downer than those of us who trudged through the 80's.

The only things you trudged through in the 80s were microwave meals and golf courses. I bet you could count on one hand the amount of games you went to in the 15 years before KK came back as manager.

Name your top 5 Newcastle matches of the 80s (not including televised ones). Not a soopafan contest, I'm calling your bluff.

The only things you trudged through in the 80s were microwave meals and golf courses. I bet you could count on one hand the amount of games you went to in the 15 years before KK came back as manager.

Name your top 5 Newcastle matches of the 80s (not including televised ones). Not a soopafan contest, I'm calling your bluff.

Back I to your old routine quite quickly I see :lol: even dusting down the old Phyllis insult .

Trudge through the 80's is an expression for supporting Newcastle during the70's or 80's not actually trudging through the streets from Boldon. ;)

Said many a time on here that very rarely got to go unless a mates father took me and that most of my support was by way of a transistor and the "it's a goal show".

I'm nearly sure I also pointed out that from leaving school until late 30's I've always worked on a Saturday, selling sofas ;)

Good attempt though and yes it is Super duper fan stuff :)

Back I to your old routine quite quickly I see :lol: even dusting down the old Phyllis insult .

Trudge through the 80's is an expression for supporting Newcastle during the70's or 80's not actually trudging through the streets from Boldon. ;)

Said many a time on here that very rarely got to go unless a mates father took me and that most of my support was by way of a transistor and the "it's a goal show".

I'm nearly sure I also pointed out that from leaving school until late 30's I've always worked on a Saturday, selling sofas ;)

Good attempt though and yes it is Super duper fan stuff :)

It's not soopafan stuff because you had a legitimate excuse for not going to the games so that's fair enough. However, it also means you weren't a supporter at that time when you clearly inferred you were with the 'trudged though the 80s' comment. You're only backtracking because you've been called out on that. Also, I'm hardly going to play the soopafan card when I've told plenty people I'm not that into the club any more, gave up my ST 3 years ago and have only been to 4 matches since then (3 of which were freebies).

However, it also means you weren't a supporter at that time when you clearly inferred you were

:lol: of course I was a supporter. Non attendance doesn't mean your not a supporter. That IS PURE super fan talk man. Have a word, as someone used to say.

:lol: of course I was a supporter. Non attendance doesn't mean your not a supporter. That IS PURE super fan talk man. Have a word, as someone used to say.

I think it marks the clear difference between being a fan and being a supporter. And it certainly did back then. The fact that needs explaining to you says everything.

Edited by Alex

Back then, if you didn't go, you hadn't seen enough of the game to really comment. These days you can arguably see more of the game from your sofa.

Don't think it's "superfannery" to say that someone listening to the match on the wireless had the same insight as someone who went to the game.

Back then, if you didn't go, you hadn't seen enough of the game to really comment. These days you can arguably see more of the game from your sofa.

Don't think it's "superfannery" to say that someone listening to the match on the wireless had the same insight as someone who went to the game.

It's not even a case of dissecting the game though.

Sometimes I feel bad that CT gets all this stick, but he brings it on himself when he makes claims about "trudging through the 80's" as if he was travelling the country to watch Newcastle home and away.

He was sat in SCS with the radio on in case a Newcastle fan came in and he needed to make some small talk.

Yes we are. Quick quiz, which of the following played for Newcastle United, which one played for Middlesbrough, which one played for Sunderland and which one was a sales rep for MFI in North Shields?

A. Colin Cooper

B. Brian Tinnion

C. Keith Bertchin

D. Mala Grey

Nee rush. Take your time.

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

;)

As someone who trudged through the 80's (albeit on me parents coin), I can safely say the current way I feel about things going on at the club is much worse than it was back then. I remeber back then there was very little in the way of hope that the board would invest in the club but there was still a much greater connection between the club and supporters. There was also a realistic hope that someone with money would come in buy it and invest enough to make a difference (which is exactly what Hall did). Now, the amount of money that Ashley would want to sell and the amount it would take to pay for the players we need makes it impossible for anyone local to do and almost impossible for anyone other than a small amount of people in the world.

With all the telly money knocking around Cashley is being a bit pig headed and I for one can't fathom it....A fully firing Newcastle in Europe is something that can only be good for him...

If he can reach his goal of improving Sports Direct without investing in us, why should he bother?

Would it cost less in the long run to get Rangers into the champions league? where the joint ownership question will never arise as he'll never put anywhere near enough cash into NUFC to get us into the top 5, or allow a manager to pick a full strength side in a cup game.

If he can reach his goal of improving Sports Direct without investing in us, why should he bother?

His investment in Rangers as an easy CL option kinda shows that he wants it, but doesn't want to pay for it as it will take more cash to raise us to that level. Doing it with Rangers will be boring...Out in the QL rounds every year. ;)

With all the telly money knocking around Cashley is being a bit pig headed and I for one can't fathom it....A fully firing Newcastle in Europe is something that can only be good for him...

I don't think there's any great mystery to it. The club made about £10m profit last time they were announced. I think that would've been before the new TV money was factored in, aye?

I think the way he's doing it means that he'll continue to turn a tidy profit with relatively low risk (that being relegation). Eminently sensible from the point of view of an owner with no attachment to the club beyond his investment. Extremely dull for anyone who gives a shit about the performance of the team.