How much will we have to spend in Jan?

Park Life

Thing is I'm not sure it'll do much good unless we over haul the back room staff. I'm not just talking about Pardew, I think the whole sorry lot of them are letting the club down. What's the point in our snazzy new Training Complex (which will rival the best in Europe... apparently), if we've got Mike Bassett running long sessions practising long balls to the back peg.

I honestly think we'll need to spend some money on a centre back. Selling Mbiwa is bonkers, but it's happening so we need a big strong quick centre back and that's going to cost us. We'll not only have to convince him we're staying up, but also that it'll benefit his career. Which is a big ask, especially if Pardew remains and one of the biggest selling points is the incredible fanbase as we're not exactly welcoming to anyone not from Newcastle... right?

Given De Jong won't be fit until January we should sign a striker (Also, isn't Cisse off to CAN again?), I'd like to see us spend c£20m on a striker, but expect another gamble instead.

Speaking of the African Cup of Nations, if Tiote is otherwise occupied off it might be worth sourcing a new anchoring defensive midfielder as while he might not be off permanently in January, I reckon he will be by the end of the season.

CB, CF, DM = £35-£50m? How likely is that? If we're 13-14th at Xmas (which I don't think we will be) it'll be much, much less.

Edit - Typo a go go

Edited by The Fish

Thing is I'm not sure it'll do much good unless we over haul the back room staff. I'm not just talking about Pardew, I think the whole sorry lot of them are letting the club down. What's the point in our snazzy new Training Complex (which will rival the best in Europe... apparently), if we've got Mike Bassett running long sessions practising long balls to the back peg.

It might in the short term. Enough to stave off relegation anyway.

In the long term, I agree with you. This point has been raised many times before. When in the hell did Ashley start caring about the long term future of the club though?

I think we'll probably sign a CB and a striker, nothing proven or pricey though.

Ashley's plan all along is to spend the bare minimum to survive.

Nowt in Summer 2012

5 players in Jan 2013 as we were relegation threatened

Nowt in Summer 2013

Nowt in Jan 2014

5 players in Summer 14 as a bare minimum

In January, if we're down there we'll definitely bring in more firepower and defensive cover. We're still sitting on tens of millions.

It's going to be hard to attract a marquee striker/s unless its on a very short term deal (I.e. 6 months mercenary) I can't see players wanting to commit full time.

2s7ewsl.jpg

The Star reckon we have a PL style CD lined up...Whatever that means.

Probably that they've got no actual insight and have just made some shit up?

Id be surprised if we signed a defender given we've already paid for Lascelles, who hasn't started a game this season

Season long loan at Forest. That's why we got him and Darlow so cheaply (comparatively).

Aye but what I mean is, why would Ashley buy a defender for 5-6mil when you have one coming 6 months later already

I suspect he's one for the future. Good littel player by all accounts but not quite ready for the PL...

We clearly need a centreback regardless of whether Lascelles comes in or not. I'm not confident in any of the ones we have any more.

And even if Cisse continues the way he's started this season we need someone else to cover him being away. If we're looking ok (which I don't see how we can be looking at Decembers fixtures) then we'll spend next to nothing but history does suggest the fat cunt will allow some reasonable expenditure if it looks necessary.

My West Ham supporting mate reckons they're trying to offload Carroll to us on the cheap - now that big Sam has changed his system to a diamond with more pacy strikers, there's no room for a lumbering target man.

If Pardew's still here I can see us going for it and spending 10-12m on him. He'll suit Pardew's style of play perfectly.