The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was there yesterday in the party stand. Decent day out: slow morning session but was great to see moeen bat them out of the game: is there a better number 8 in test cricket? great atmosphere too, a highlight coming when the walrus mask was thrown around, which the Sky camera man eventually put it on to massive cheers from the crowd. 

We were in the party stand on Saturday.  I heard the walrus mask get a mention on TMS yesterday was driving home with the hangover from hell.

All over bar the shouting now like. Even the weather plays into England hands, counter-intuitively, because they'll get loads of play in today and tomorrow it'll be on-off, which will make it hard for the battting side. Think it'll be wrapped up today anyway though as they can play until 7 under the floodlights if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Tooj sent me that. The article on Gooch's incredible Headingley innings, which I still clearly remember, is good too. What a fucking batsman he was 

if none of the newbies can take their chances, do you look to the past? just spotted ian bell in the edgo crowd. he's one of only three players to ever win five ashes series.

Bell has averaged just short of 25 this season so I think he can be ruled out.  It might be worth going back to Balance and playing him at 5 where he actually plays well for Yorkshire.  Either that or look at Hales or Roy who at least we know can perform at international level with the white ball.  Or play Ali and Bairstow as batsmen and bring in Butler and another spinner.

Stoneman will get all 3 tests. And I wouldn't have been averse to trying Hales at 3 given his form but Westley was always going to get at least another couple of chances and he's looked the part at times against SA.

the other question is where is our pace bowler for those hard and bouncy aussie wickets? we haven't really got anyone in the current mix who can bowl at express pace, other than perhaps wood or finn, who seems out of favour right now. i suppose wood offers something a bit different. we don't really have time to unearth someone in three tests who can bowl at 90mph though.  

anyone watching this? the windies are a shambles. quite sad really, especially after reading that guardian long read about them in their 80s pomp. their bowling, fielding and captaincy wouldn't look out of place in a game of village cricket. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

anyone watching this? the windies are a shambles. quite sad really, especially after reading that guardian long read about them in their 80s pomp. their bowling, fielding and captaincy wouldn't look out of place in a game of village cricket. 

I read the other day it's now 17 years since they won a test, let alone a series, in England. It's 5 years since they won a series overseas and that was against Bangladesh I think. At one point it was hard to see them losing a series ever again.

though that said, Malan has just walked on the stroke of, er, lunch (at 4pm). 

he'll be gutted not to have gone on and made a ton against this attack. he'll never get a better chance, you'd have thought. 

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

I read the other day it's now 17 years since they won a test, let alone a series, in England. It's 5 years since they won a series overseas and that was against Bangladesh I think. At one point it was hard to see them losing a series ever again.

They have gone downhill since they couldn't waste time and over rates with those long run ups.