The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Ken said:

It sounds so grim that we won't lose a match.

i'm not saying that. your lot have your own problems and won't have it all your own way. i do expect us to lose though. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm not saying that. your lot have your own problems and won't have it all your own way. i do expect us to lose though. 

So not a complete domination but 4-1?

i'd be disappointed if it's another whitewash, ken. i expect us to win one game, perhaps at Adelaide, maybe draw another, but i don't think we're going to be close to winning the series. 

obviously i hope our boys prove me wrong. one thing we've got going for us is we don't fear your lot anymore. the aussie aura is long gone. when was it you officially lost it? 2009, wasn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'd be disappointed if it's another whitewash, ken. i expect us to win one game, perhaps at Adelaide, maybe draw another, but i don't think we're going to be close to winning the series. 

obviously i hope our boys prove me wrong. one thing we've got going for us is we don't fear your lot anymore. the aussie aura is long gone. when was it you officially lost it? 2009, wasn't it? 

I don't expect it to be Gloomy. It will be closer than you expect. Trust me. ;)

History is history. No need to go over it.  Leave it at that.

interesting hearing nasser's interview with bayliss, who said he wants root to play at 3. whether root is up for that against the aussies is another matter. who else is there to play 3 out of that squad though? surely not ballance or vince? 

I think it will be Vince.  But I agree with Bayliss that it should be Root.

Seemed clear from that interview (although I missed the end of it) that Wood would have been in the squad had he proved he could stay fit.  I think without him they've just dismissed any thought of a fast bowler and just looked to stick to our strengths.  Whether or not our strengths can outweigh the conditions remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

loved that series down under when chris tremlett came out of nowhere and scared the shit out of the aussie attack. he was exactly the kind of brute of a fast bowler we need now. shame he was made of glass

Totally forgot about Tremlett, sure he played in the last series down there but he was completely finished and was generating hardly anything above 80mph.

2 minutes ago, Tooj said:

Totally forgot about Tremlett, sure he played in the last series down there but he was completely finished and was generating hardly anything above 80mph.

Aye, ludicrous decision to take him last time round. Boyd Rankin went as well.

7 minutes ago, Tooj said:

yeah, he was a shadow of his former self last time. it was a bit of a punt, int he same i way i suppose taking wood, finn or plunkett might be this time.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i still think taking a punt on a bowler with express pace is a gamble worth taking when you look at the balance of the bowling attack

Yeah, I think we definitely could do with something different. I suspect Broad might not be the bowler he was. It's all angled in a la Defrietas now, rather than being able to swing it away. Anderson will struggle too I think.

(Re: Finn I meant two tours ago as well rather than series which makes it even worse).

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i still think taking a punt on a bowler with express pace is a gamble worth taking when you look at the balance of the bowling attack

But that was the problem last time when they took Finn, Tremlett and Rankin - taking a punt on the fact that they could bowl fast and generate bounce.  That worked well.  Pick players who are playing well.  Not sure about Ball or Overton, as neither will play unless one of Broad, Anderson or Woakes can't play due to injury, and I would rather have another spinner than watch Ball again.

I wouldn't reshape the attack entirely, but failing to pick one bowler who can get it up to 90mph is foolish, even if it is a wildcard selection. Finn, we know, can be expensive and blows hot and cold but when he gets it right he's a wicket taker and you'd think he'd be suited to playing over there. He took 8 wickets in a county match recently.

plunkett is in the ODI squad so he must be doing something right. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong obviously but I doubt the Aussies will fear this bowling attack in their backyard.

I'd also add it horses for courses. You pick extra spinners in your squad when you play in the subcontinent- not just your form players. Just as you look to include genuine fast bowlers when you tour Oz...

6 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Stokes could potentially do a jail term for this

What a moron. Obviously we don't know what was said or how he was provoked but that doesn't look good. He looks to be the aggressor throughout the exchange, swinging at anyone near him. Idiot.

Aye, that looks fucking terrible like. Totally changes my view as I think that's bang out of order irrespective of the provocation. People have been killed by a punch like that last one that sparks the kid out. He's canny lucky that's the only one that connected properly.

He cracks the other lad too just as the video cuts out.

The rumour is the lad swung a bottle at one of his own mates and Stokes was passing by and stepped in to stop it. Which is all good and well if he didn't then follow the lad up the street for 20yds before knocking him out. That removes any potential self defence claim I'd imagine.

If he gets a criminal record for ABH that would prevent him for getting a VISA for any Australia tours wouldn't it?