Terrorism

aimaad22

4 minutes ago, adios said:

This one could be a copycat attack (spurred on by the Grande concert).  Not like it took much planning, from what I understand of it.

Has there actually been a general increase outside of the Manchester attack?

We've had 3 attacks with fataliities this year. When was the last one prior to these? I can't see this one being suddenly planned in the wake of the Manchester attack, simply because it seems to be a group as opposed to a lone attacker 

7 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

We've had 3 attacks with fataliities this year. When was the last one prior to these? I can't see this one being suddenly planned in the wake of the Manchester attack, simply because it seems to be a group as opposed to a lone attacker 

For some reason, I had it in my head that the March attack was par for the course.  Not in terms of casualties, but in frequency of attacks.

But I guess I'm including that politician in that (not a Muslim attack) and that nutter with the machete (attacked a soldier?) off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, goldeena said:

they recently declared an 'all out war' on the west, might have something to do with it and no - you didn't have a single attack in 2016.

death toll up to 9: 6 civillians 3 attackers i think.

Fucking hell. :(

Mark Rowley:

“Since late yesterday evening [Saturday, 3 June], the Metropolitan Police Service has been responding to incidents in the London Bridge and Borough Market areas of south London. We are treating this as a terrorist incident and a full investigation is already underway, led by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command.

“You will understand that our knowledge of the incident is still growing but what we understand at the present time is:

At 22:08hrs yesterday evening we began to receive reports that a vehicle had struck pedestrians on London Bridge.

The vehicle continued to drive from London Bridge to Borough Market.

The suspects then left the vehicle and a number of people were stabbed, including an on-duty British Transport Police officer who was responding to the incident at London Bridge. He received serious but not life-threatening injuries. His family has been informed.

Armed officers responded very quickly and bravely, confronting three male suspects who were shot and killed in Borough Market. The suspects had been confronted and shot by the police within eight minutes of the first call. The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes.

“The ongoing operation is led by the Met, working closely with British Transport Police, City of London Police, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade.

“At this stage, we believe that six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot dead by police. And at least 20 casualties have been taken to six hospitals across London.

“I'd like to repeat our request for the public to avoid the following areas: London Bridge and Borough Market. This is to allow emergency services to deal with this incident.

“The investigation is being led by the Counter Terrorism Command and we would ask anybody who has images or film of the incident to pass those to police by uploading it at www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk.

“Our thoughts are with all those involved and those responding to both incidents. Those who are concerned about a loved one can contact the Casualty Bureau on 0800 0961 233.

“We are reviewing and planning to strengthen our policing stance across London over the forthcoming days, and there will be additional police and officers deployed across the Capital.

“I would like to ask the public to remain vigilant and let us know if they see anything suspicious that causes them concern and dial 999 immediately.”

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Jesus Christ man, I hate to agree with the likes of Ken, but we need to do something? 

Do what exactly? What do you do when people with radical views decide that they want to make a statement by driving into crowds  or walk the streets and slit the throats of people? Or set off bombs strapped to them?

Political views aside, radicalism has infiltrated into Western democracy and the seeds sewn and it is here to stay. There is nothing you or I can do anything about it. Most attacks in the name of radical Islam will thankfully be prevented, but some won't. That is just the day and age that we live in.

• Like 1

Would arming the police help any? While the response time of the armed officers was very good could police already in the area have responded more quickly?

30 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Would arming the police help any? While the response time of the armed officers was very good could police already in the area have responded more quickly?

Look at the clip of America though. Every copper having a gun is asking for trouble, I wouldn't trust some of them with a catapult.

What happened yesterday is horrific, and traumatic for all involved, but in terms of numbers killed it wasn't a huge incident on the scale of 9/11 and 7/7. Similar numbers die in car crashes and house fires weekly. The security services are doing a reasonable job and they are limiting these cowards to running people over and stabbing them which you will never be able to eliminate. 3 terrorists shot dead within 8mins of a 999 call is pretty impressive for a largely unarmed police force 

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah but the cops here don't have the same fear that criminals will be armed and in theory shouldn't be quite so trigger happy.

Plenty of unarmed black folk in America get shot dead. Each to their own but I'd rather not set off down that path 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Plenty of unarmed black folk in America get shot dead. Each to their own but I'd rather not set off down that path 

Yes but my point is that the police quite often suspect them of being armed when they aren't. The police over here are all armed and we don't have an issue with police shootings.

8 minutes ago, goldeena said:

your just a trump hating cunt with a vendetta FOYC.

Yes I dislike Trump, just as nearly all intelligent people do. But no, there's no vendetta.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Yes but my point is that the police quite often suspect them of being armed when they aren't. The police over here are all armed and we don't have an issue with police shootings.

But would that then lead to English police suspecting any radgy Muslim to be armed?

The attacks on Westminster bridge, MEN arena and last night wouldn't have had vastly different outcomes if every copper had been armed anyway

The ultimate goal has to be to force the UK into an extreme response or isolationism. The people behind this probably see things like Brexit as a victory.

The problem we have is that each time something like this happens, public support for moderation will diminish.

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

But would that then lead to English police suspecting any radgy Muslim to be armed?

The attacks on Westminster bridge, MEN arena and last night wouldn't have had vastly different outcomes if every copper had been armed anyway

An on duty police officer was stabbed. Had they been armed then maybe the hat could have been ended earlier. Obviously that doesn't work with suicide bombers. I'm not saying that it needs to happen but it's worth looking at.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The ultimate goal has to be to force the UK into an extreme response or isolationism. The people behind this probably see things like Brexit as a victory.

The problem we have is that each time something like this happens, public support for moderation will diminish.

British foreign policy hasn't changed for years. Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria. It's daft to think more of the same is going to defeat terrorism

Corbyn might have zero effect on it all but I'm not sure what we've got to lose giving him a bash if he gets into no.10

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

An on duty police officer was stabbed. Had they been armed then maybe the hat could have been ended earlier. Obviously that doesn't work with suicide bombers. I'm not saying that it needs to happen but it's worth looking at.

We will have to agree to disagree