McClaren, Laudrup, Carvs, The tea lady?

Howay

:lol: I can't fucking win; use full paragraphs and I'm verbose, try for brevity and I'm Lee fucking Ryder.

Gan shove a candle up yer bumhole

Pipe down Ryder. ;)

Imagine they go all leftfield on our asses and unveil someone like Keegan similar to when Hall asked for the new manager to come through the door and not one of the media present had a clue it was going to be KK walking out. :lol: (How's that sentence structure, by the way? Ryder eat your heart out).

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, McClaren may get more out of better players and will be a little more palatable than Cardew were but it really will depend on our recruitment as we are painfully short on having a quality first team squad.

Pipe down Ryder. ;)

Imagine they go all leftfield on our asses and unveil someone like Keegan similar to when Hall asked for the new manager to come through the door and not one of the media present had a clue it was going to be KK walking out. :lol: (How's that sentence structure, by the way? Ryder eat your heart out).

aye, then the big reveal is Ron Atkinson :lol:

that would be mint tbf

Anyway, McClaren may get more out of better players and will be a little more palatable than Cardew were but it really will depend on our recruitment as we are painfully short on having a quality first team squad.

It's only really Janmaat and Perez who I'd say are top half of the Premier League players, and Perez is still learning the league. Sissoko, Krul, de Jong and Cabella might be, but 6 players isn't a great starting point for an assault on the top half or cups.

Abeid, Anita, Cisse, Colback, Haidara, Taylor, are all ok, but need to either up their standard, or be replaced.

Southampton, Stoke and Palace all finished top half this season. I'd argue he's better than any striker they have.

Janmaat finished 15th, does that mean he's not top half quality?

Janmaat finished 15th, does that mean he's not top half quality?

I've no idea on your reasoning there but my point is that he could easily get into those three teams who finished in the top half. You could also add Swansea to that (obviously they had Bony for the first half of the season who is better than Cisse) and he could also do a better job than all Liverpool's strikers than Sturridge and Spurs than Kane (if he keeps his form going).

There's only really the top 4 that he woudln't get a sniff at.

Edited by David Kelly

I've no idea on your reasoning there but my point is that he could easily get into those three teams who finished in the top half. You could also add Swansea to that (obviously they had Bony for the first half of the season who is better than Cisse) and he could also do a better job than all Liverpool's strikers than Sturridge and Spurs than Kane (if he keeps his form going).

There's only really the top 4 that he woudln't get a sniff at.

I really don't think his all-round play would get him into any of those sides ahead of who they have. He's not consistent enough for a top half club imo.

I really don't think his all-round play would get him into any of those sides ahead of who they have. He's not consistent enough for a top half club imo.

I don't know who at (in particular) Stoke, Swansea and Palace you think would stop him getting a game. You could argue that Palace finishing in the top half is an anomaly that is unlikely to be repeated but Stoke and Swansea are regularly in and around the top half. I also wouldn't really rate the likes of Pelle and Long at Southampton ahead of him. His goal scoring record is better than them. I know you're talking about all round game but you simply can't ignore goal scoring which is why the likes of Austin is being linked with top clubs.

He scored a goal every two games last season, he'd walk into the aforementioned sides.

To give him his due he scored a goal every 90 minutes.

I see a 30yr old player who managed 11 games and 11 sub appearances, who scores in patches and who goes to the ACON.

He's not good enough for Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Spurs. I personally think Stoke, Swansea and Southampton would go elsewhere before him.

I dunno, I may just be biased against him for whatever reason, but I don't rate him as highly as I do, say, Remy?

Of course you wouldn't and that's why Remy is playing for the champions.

:lol: yeah, not a great example. I was trying to get a player who played for us that you could say was better than Cisse, but not by loads so they remained comparable...

Ah, fuck it, I know what I mean. Cisse isn't, imo, a top half striker because he's inconsistent and if he's not scoring, he doesn't add too much else. He doesn't hold the ball (like Carroll or Crouch), his link play is poor, he's not a harasser up front (like a Long, or Bellamy type) and he's not mobile enough to pick up space.

I get what you're saying but there's loads of top half clubs who would sign him despite his limitations purely because of his goal scoring capabilities, these clubs are capable of attracting top class all-round forwards. Liverpool signed Rickie Lambert ffs.

Edited by ewerk

:lol: yeah, not a great example. I was trying to get a player who played for us that you could say was better than Cisse, but not by loads so they remained comparable...

Ah, fuck it, I know what I mean. Cisse isn't, imo, a top half striker because he's inconsistent and if he's not scoring, he doesn't add too much else. He doesn't hold the ball (like Carroll or Crouch), his link play is poor, he's not a harasser up front (like a Long, or Bellamy type) and he's not mobile enough to pick up space.

You'd have Crouch or Long ahead of him? Seriously? Crouch is 34 and doesn't score anywhere near as frequently as Cisse. Long on the other hand has never scored more than 8 goals in the premier league.

Having other parts to your game is fine but being a striker is primarily about putting the ball in the back of the net. None of the upper mid table teams have better players to do that. Of course his injury problems this season would put people off signing him at the moment and of course there are better players for the top teams but it's daft to say he's anything other than a capable top half player.

I get what you're saying but there's loads of top half clubs who would sign him despite his limitations purely because of his goal scoring capabilities, these clubs are capable of attracting top class all-round forwards. Liverpool signed Rickie Lambert ffs.

Man Utd signed Bebe, Chelsea signed Boulahrouz . Clubs cock up with transfers all the time.

:dunno: we won't agree, I just don't think any top half club would take a punt on him now.

You'd have Crouch or Long ahead of him? Seriously? Crouch is 34 and doesn't score anywhere near as frequently as Cisse. Long on the other hand has never scored more than 8 goals in the premier league.

Having other parts to your game is fine but being a striker is primarily about putting the ball in the back of the net. None of the upper mid table teams have better players to do that. Of course his injury problems this season would put people off signing him at the moment and of course there are better players for the top teams but it's daft to say he's anything other than a capable top half player.

You misunderstand, I was only saying he doesn't do those things that those players are renowned for.

If the one part to his game is putting the ball in the net, he doesn't do that on a consistent basis.

He managed 8 in the only full season he's managed with us and he managed 2 in the league last season, despite playing 2 extra games.

Edited by The Fish

You misunderstand, I was only saying he doesn't do those things that those players are renowned for.

If the one part to his game is putting the ball in the net, he doesn't do that on a consistent basis.

He managed 8 in the only full season he's managed with us and he managed 2 in the league last season, despite playing 2 extra games.

No I understand what you're saying (see my other post above) but as I said the trade off is more goals with him and less all round play. I think you'll find that goals are held in higher regard when looking at a striker especially if he's to be your main goal threat.

And I know you can use the two previous seasons against him but he did score 13 in all competitions in the season before last and he did struggle with playing out of position and in a team that wasn't bothering in the second half of last season as well as injuries.

But when you look at him overall his stats tell you if you create chances he will score goals in over 40% of the games his plays. Compared with 30% for Crouch and 25% for long.

Edited by David Kelly