McClaren, Laudrup, Carvs, The tea lady?

Howay

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this feeling that hiring Carver for 6 months is to manager recruitment what changing the name of the stadium was to sponsor choice. Ashley renamed the stadium so that we'd all warm to whichever sponsor switched it the fuck back. Same with Carver. I would have been seriously dissatisfied with McClaren in January but am now much more prepared to have him on board. I still think it's a shit appointment when there are plenty of better managers out there, but it's better than Carver...

Edited by Rayvin

I have this feeling that hiring Carver for 6 months is to manager recruitment what changing the name of the stadium was to sponsor choice. Ashley renamed the stadium so that we'd all warm to whichever sponsor switched it the fuck back. Same with Carver. I would have been seriously dissatisfied with McClaren in January but am now much more prepared to have him on board. I still think it's a shit appointment when there are plenty of better managers out there, but it's better than Carver...

I've actually been thinking this exact thing, but I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist.... You must admit that it's more than plausible with Ashley though. You aren't a billionaire by being an idiot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32958880

Watford appoint Quique Flores as their new manager; ex Real Madrid and Spanish international player, Europa and Super cup winner with Atletico in 2011. We appoint a scrote who was bullied as a player by Billy Whitehurst at York City and has been sacked from 5 of his 7 managers jobs. Turned us down twice but is now willing to cede most of his power in the transfer market to others and is more than willing to have Carver as first team coach.

I'll say that again. Watford . :jesuswept:

Edited by PaddockLad

:lol: yeah, not a great example. I was trying to get a player who played for us that you could say was better than Cisse, but not by loads so they remained comparable...

Ah, fuck it, I know what I mean. Cisse isn't, imo, a top half striker because he's inconsistent and if he's not scoring, he doesn't add too much else. He doesn't hold the ball (like Carroll or Crouch), his link play is poor, he's not a harasser up front (like a Long, or Bellamy type) and he's not mobile enough to pick up space.

I've actually been thinking this exact thing, but I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist.... You must admit that it's more than plausible with Ashley though. You aren't a billionaire by being an idiot.

I guess if that is it, it can only work so many times...right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32958880

Watford appoint Quique Flores as their new manager; ex Real Madrid and Spanish international player, Europa and Super cup winner with Atletico in 2011. We appoint a scrote who was bullied as a player by Billy Whitehurst at York City and has been sacked from 5 of his 7 managers jobs. Turned us down twice but is now willing to cede most of his power in the transfer market to others and is more than willing to have Carver as first team coach.

I'll say that again. Watford . :jesuswept:

Well according to Fish, when we might be in for a good manager or prospect it's shit, but when another club is it's gospel so wouldn't believe everything, mate.

......Wait a minute, they've actually appointed him?

Watford?

I guess if that is it, it can only work so many times...right?

You would think so. You'd think you can only go to that trick once. i do think he had some real sense of concern though.

As far as the fan base goes, he'll know that the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy. You can turn angry fans around and get match goers back in because fundamentally the passion is still there - just needs redirected. Once apathy sets in though, he's got a problem. That's when his income will start dying on the vine. Protests, as annoying as they probably are to him, aren't as frightening as the prospect of widespread apathy.

Let's put it this way, if it wasn't us, which other Premier League clubs would be making this chumba wumba their one and only target? He's fucking desperate for a chance to prove he's not a failure at the highest level and that Boro wasn't a fluke largely down to Gibson. He'd probably accept the job even if he was made to lick Ashley's balls clean once a week.

Let's put it this way, if it wasn't us, which other Premier League clubs would be making this chumba wumba their one and only target? He's fucking desperate for a chance to prove he's not a failure at the highest level and that Boro wasn't a fluke largely down to Gibson. He'd probably accept the job even if he was made to lick Ashley's balls clean once a week.

To be fair, we've no way of knowing who the targets are and where McLaren appears on the list. It might be that he's the only one prepared to put up with Tweedledum and Tweedledee's nonsnse.

Exactly. The best anyone can think of to say about this helmet is that he's the only one prepared to take it up the arse like a bitch, and he's maybe possibly slightly better than Pardew (which to me is not a claim that can be made with any certainty given the wildly different circumstances).

And of course we can't be sure, but a betting man would surely not go against the argument based on what we know about the club from history, that McClaren was their only target, and if any actual meetings took place with other candidates, it was just as likely going to be for show to get the sheep (like Stevie) to buy their STs in the vain hope that Ashley is about to do a volte face and back the manager, than out of any actual desire to appoint them.

Mark Douglas;

‘Michael Laudrup wanted to talk, and so did Frank de Boer.

For a couple of days last week, Patrick Vieira was open to the idea…There had been others, too.

With Remi Garde it went as far as the interview process while Christophe Galtier and Jocelyn Gourvennec, two of France’s brightest young managerial talents, would have been amenable.

Yet Newcastle took a head count of these candidates – one of two of whom might have had a seriously transformative impact on the club – and went, instead, for Steve McClaren.’

Ashley could have made a statement of intent by having a go with any one of the above but he seem's hell bent on going for McLaren.

All these conspiracy theories flying around about different managers and who transform etc etc.

It's really not rocket science.

From Ashley's point of view, he's got us too a very strong financial footing. The new TV deal has cemented that.

Part 1 done.

During that time we've had a poor manager who coaching skills were inept, but with timely investment would have done a fair bit better.

Hopefully it now appears (but could be bullshit), that Ashley has learnt his lesson and can put together all the ingredients to take us forward sensibly.

1. Good financial footing

2. Good coach

3. Adequate investment

If McClaren signs and if decent players follow in the coming weeks, then there is no reason at all why this combination shouldn't result in a period of progression and maybe even a cup, at last.

I would much rather have slow and steady than be an experiment for some first time manager or supposed foreign Messiah. We've seen plenty of those experiments blow up time and time again.

Talk of 6 decent additions as well as progress from Aaron's, Perez, Cabella, Janmatt and maybe even De Jong (at last) should give us a completely fresh and exciting look for next season.

All these conspiracy theories flying around about different managers and who transform etc etc.

From Ashley's point of view, he's got us too a very strong financial footing. The new TV deal has cemented that.

Part 1 done.

During that time we've had a poor manager who coaching skills were inept, but with timely investment would have done a fair bit better.

Hopefully it now appears (but could be bullshit), that Ashley has learnt his lesson and can put together all the ingredients to take us forward sensibly.

2. Good coach

3. Adequate investment

If McClaren signs and if decent players follow in the coming weeks, then there is no reason at all why this combination shouldn't result in a period of progression and maybe even a cup, at last.

I would much rather have slow and steady than be an experiment for some first time manager or supposed foreign Messiah. We've seen plenty of those experiments blow up time and time again.

Talk of 6 decent additions as well as progress from Aaron's, Perez, Cabella, Janmatt and maybe even De Jong (at last) should give us a completely fresh and exciting look for next season.

Football genius tbf :CT:

[emoji38]

During that time we've had a poor manager who coaching skills were inept,

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Part 1 done.

2. Good coach

3. Adequate investment

There's really nothing to suggest theres a plan on Ashleys part other than scrooging on every possible penny to make a profit. Thats why we've still got Mike fucking Williamson carthorsing around at the back after all these years.

To call it slow and steady progress is also fanciful imo. Dont get me wrong, I'd be delighted if the right ingredients came together but I don't think Ashley or Charnley have a clue what they're supposed to be cooking up on the football side. In fact I'd go as far to say Charnley looks totally fucking clueless after last season.