The Magpie Brand

PaddockLad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fucking Magpie. How can they have legal grounds on this? Maybe the coat of arms but that would be down to the council I'd have thought?

(FWIW I don't think it's a lot better than the current shirt, but hey ho.)

`The Magpie Brand,`

awful name, any muppet could tell that would get the hackles up and the writs flying. Am sure a compromise can be reached.

the mag rarely reports facts about newcastle....for years they have been completely negative towards ashley. always spin things in the worst possible light.

should really change the format of that text....oh well

Edited by TobamorisRevenge

If only it was a slave kid in Taiwan, that's too expensive for Ashley....

On topic, this is brilliant and I love the design. I'll be getting some, once Ashley's lawsuit falls on it's arse.

Edited by scoobos

`The Magpie Brand,`

awful name, any muppet could tell that would get the hackles up and the writs flying. Am sure a compromise can be reached.

the mag rarely reports facts about newcastle....for years they have been completely negative towards ashley. always spin things in the worst possible light.

should really change the format of that text....oh well

You know the Mag hoy up anything they get sent?

It's not The Mag trying to sway fans, it's fans sending negative write-ups.

Do a pro-ashley piece and send it in, they'll put it up for you.

I say good luck to the Magpie brand anything that stops money going through Ashley 's sausage fingers is fine by me. Just because he's spent a few quid this window doesn't make things right. He's still a 24 carat cunt & you can't get any purer than that.

It's a fucking Magpie. How can they have legal grounds on this? Maybe the coat of arms but that would be down to the council I'd have thought?

Don't know a lot about the legality but I would guess you can't copyright a magpie but the combo of the magpie and black and white stripes within the context of football and Newcastle constitutes a 'brand' which already exists. Although I would try and argue that Notts County got there first if the club try and come at it from that standpoint.

Even with that in mind, if they don't bring cases like this against potential violations of whatever trademarks/branding they hold it can lead to any future, more blatant, rip offs being thrown out as the club have not shown a desire to uphold their trademarks in the past.

Happens a lot in the tech/games industry, King Games, who make Candy Crush, sent out a raft of spurious cases last year on anything that said "candy" (even tried to legally trademark the word) without a hope in hell of actually winning any of the cases so they could demonstrate in future that they protect the trademarks they do have.

Google are doing similar at the moment trying to stop "googling" something becoming a standard, recognised, term for any internet search as, if that is successfully argued in court at any point they will lose their trademarks.

I hope the magpie Brand win their case otherwise what next anyone wearing a black & white top without the Wonga logo or club crest get thrown out of the ground.

There is no case. The lads doing it can't afford to finance their own defence foillowing the threat. It was all non-profit so they'd have had to pursue it off their own back.

There'll be a new brand announced very soon, very similar without any magpies on it and the club have seen this one and agreed they have no claim on any aspect of it.

Nufc

A Club spokesperson said: “We are extremely disappointed with the tone being adopted by the Newcastle Fans Brand, which follows otherwise amicable and respectful conversations between both parties.

“We have engaged with the group over a number of weeks in an attempt to find a solution that would work for both sides and have raised no objections at any time to the sale of an alternative black and white shirt. Indeed, it was actually the Club that suggested the ‘Newcastle Fans Brand’ name as a compromise, which the group was seemingly happy to accept.

“The Club simply needs to protect its commercial rights. Since the initial dispute arose, which was due to clear trademark and copyright infringements, we have actively engaged with the group to find positive solutions for both sides.

“While making it very clear from the outset that we would only consider legal action as an absolute last resort, which we hoped would not be necessary, the Club and its representatives have at no time issued intimidating correspondence.

“On several occasions the Club’s representatives offered to meet with the group to find a positive solution for both parties but this was unfortunately declined.”

- See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/09/newcastle-united-make-official-statement-about-the-latest-alternative-newcastle-shirt/#sthash.LmQbseDk.dpuf

We got whined at previously about the club crest and such on here, i love replying to those letters/emails.

was meant to do another upgrade on here but haven't had time yet but will prob use the logo i knocked up about a year ago now.

uAF-qU5R.jpeg

Fucking pathetic. The fact that 'Toon' is a relatively modern saying, (Apart from oldies enquiring after NUFC's results on the bus home, this is a modern idiom and has fuck all to do with NUFC.)

We got whined at previously about the club crest and such on here, i love replying to those letters/emails.

was meant to do another upgrade on here but haven't had time yet but will prob use the logo i knocked up about a year ago now.

Fair warning; essembee does not brook cowards.

By the way, this is genuinely just the club being arseholes. I can understand the magpie shirt thing as they do stand to lose revenue from it, but using a now defunct club logo on a website costs them fuck all. It's just pettiness.