Newcastle United V Southampton

Christmas Tree

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we wouldn't miss him at all.

I know he's not great, but he's a consistent performer and we've not got another central defensive midfielder with his (admittedly limited) technical ability, do we?

I know he's not great, but he's a consistent performer and we've not got another central defensive midfielder with his (admittedly limited) technical ability, do we?

Anita and Abeid both have more techincal ability in spades than Colback does.

He's a clogger man, when he was at the Mackems he was derided as being that but know we have him people's perceptions have changed for some reason. We can do much better.

Colback really does seem to divide opinion with our fans. One of my mates text me during the match and said Colback looked lost and another after the game said he was shite. Personally I thought he did (as he does 95% of the time) another solid job. In posession he doesn't try for anything fancy, he just moves the ball on looking for one of the more attacking players to give us the thrust and when we don't have posession he looks to win the ball back. I know it's not very exciting but there's a whole host of top class players who made their career doing very similar things. He's more physical than Anita and does more for us defensively and he's much better on the ball than Tiote. I don't think there should be a need to play two of those three at home in games other than when we play the top four but given it was McClaren's first game, I can understand why he would want to be a bit more cautious. I would hope in most home games we would look to have another attacking player (maybe SDJ or Cabella) and move Geinie slightly deeper so we don't have a big gap between defence and attack the way we ended up on Sunday. But I'd be quite happy to have Colback as the deep lying midfielder in that formation.

He's a clogger man, when he was at the Mackems he was derided as being that but know we have him people's perceptions have changed for some reason. We can do much better.

He's definitely not a Clogger. If he were, what would that make Tiote? And Abeid? Come off it. The lad isn't good enough for premiership football. I could argue against Anita but I've definitely seen occasions where he's had good games and he always looks technically proficient. But Abeid had a couple of alright games when nothing was expected of him and then failed to even reproduce that limited form when he returned from injury. The increase in credit he got from being a reasonably small part of a couple of good results is absolutely incredible to me.

Even if that's true, we can't play Anita in both positions and Abeid looks like he's out the door. Which leaves us with Tiote and Colback.

Even if that's true, we can't play Anita in both positions and Abeid looks like he's out the door. Which leaves us with Tiote and Colback.

Still doesn't make Colback any more than a clogger either. ;)

Still doesn't make Colback any more than a clogger either. ;)

Would you go for Lucas Leiva? Looks like Liverpool are letting him go.

He's been alright for Newcastle. His passing is usually short but to its target, he's decent and tactically not bad at all. He's like a poor mans David Batty but I'd rather have him than Anita or Abeid as would most match going fans.

He's been alright for Newcastle. His passing is usually short but to its target, he's decent and tactically not bad at all. He's like a poor mans David Batty but I'd rather have him than Anita or Abeid as would most match going fans.

Our average match going fan laps up players like him, they did it with Alan Smith as an example. Steven Taylor too.

Our average match going fan laps up players like him, they did it with Alan Smith as an example. Steven Taylor too.

He's hardly a fist pumping moron like Taylor or one to go ridiculously over the top into tackles like Smith. He just quietly gets on with his job and consistently puts in a decent performance. He's never going to be a star but he helps others look good (not by being shit himself).

Do they? Most match going fans, (including myself), that I know thought Smith was fucking atrocious. I thought he was a terrible buy from the minute we bought him for an insane £6M. Taylor's had some good games as well as shit. I'd hardly say they lap him up to be fair.

He's hardly a fist pumping moron like Taylor or one to go ridiculously over the top into tackles like Smith. He just quietly gets on with his job and consistently puts in a decent performance. He's never going to be a star but he helps others look good (not by being shit himself).

That's about it tbh, he is a solid enough performer who will always give a 6 or 7 out of 10 type of performance every week no matter how shite those around him play. I've no problem with him, I wouldn't mind at all if he was upgraded but I don't see it as something that needs to be resolved straight away. He is tidy in possession and manages to be a nuisance to the opposition, seems a good professional, was free and I don't imagine he is on massive wages. If we're going to push for top 10 we probably do need to replace players like him as he should be more of a rotational option than a starter in a higher side but we've got more pressing concerns than him.

That's about it tbh, he is a solid enough performer who will always give a 6 or 7 out of 10 type of performance every week no matter how shite those around him play. I've no problem with him, I wouldn't mind at all if he was upgraded but I don't see it as something that needs to be resolved straight away. He is tidy in possession and manages to be a nuisance to the opposition, seems a good professional, was free and I don't imagine he is on massive wages. If we're going to push for top 10 we probably do need to replace players like him as he should be more of a rotational option than a starter in a higher side but we've got more pressing concerns than him.

agree 100%

I think when you look at some of the midfielders playing last season for Palace, Stoke and Swansea, he's good enough for a top ten team but yeah if we want to push further he shouldn't be any more than a squad player. As you say, we have far more pressing concerns than him though.

Not where I sat they didn't. He keeps the ball reasonably well this lad, Smith didn't do anything reasonably well.