Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

Nike have screwed it like - to think they went to all the trouble of buying Umbro just to do it as well. All their England kits have been bland & generic, so why would anyone spend money on them?

I think Umbro nailed it with this effort - 

england_kits_2009-11_home.jpg

Although I appreciate it isn't in any way traditional.

Quite right. If this is allowed then every country will have some war that they want to commemorate and then that'll offend someone else and the whole thing is a fucking mess. Let's keep war/politics out of football. That includes from league teams' jerseys as well.

Quite right. If this is allowed then every country will have some war that they want to commemorate and then that'll offend someone else and the whole thing is a fucking mess. Let's keep war/politics out of football. That includes from league teams' jerseys as well.

That's fair, the only thing I'd say is the British legion poppy appeal is a registered charity, and FIFA do appear to allow charities on football shirts, Barca, Villa etc.

I know he is, doesn't make my point, about his complete lack of awareness at the irony of his standpoint, any less valid though

It's an idiotic point. You're basically saying that anyone who has a problem with the historic actions of the armed forces should emigrate. :lol:

Poppies have been politicised now. Some veterans even refuse to wear them.

By who and for what? Right wing nationalists? I could see that I suppose, although it's a low blow on their part...

By who and for what? Right wing nationalists? I could see that I suppose, although it's a low blow on their part...

I think the use of it as a symbol of nationalism goes beyond those fringe groups, sadly

wearing a poppy isn't a political act, it's a symbol of respect for those who fell in battle, representing us in war.

and any cunt who tries to claim it for political purposes can do one. 

wearing a poppy isn't a political act, it's a symbol of respect for those who fell in battle, representing us in war.

And wars aren't political?

I guess that's the point though, every war has 2 sides, both who think they are in the right

WW1&2 we were fighting on behalf of the world against the Nazi's. These days we are fighting in the Middle East under the pretence of a war on terror but ruining innocent lives left , right and centre. The poppy doesn't differentiate between the two

That's what it's meant to be about. That doesn't alter the fact it's been politicised by some. I don't really agree with Fifa's decision however. At the same time, I think the FA should have looked into it privately. They've made it somewhat 'political' by going public with it before Fifa's decision.

I like the idea of the white poppy with the aim of remembering the civilian war dead too, but in the current climate wearing one of those seems like even more like a Rik off the Young Ones stoodent protest than simply not wearing a poppy at all. You can't win.

I guess that's the point though, every war has 2 sides, both who think they are in the right

WW1&2 we were fighting on behalf of the world against the Nazi's.

WW1 was against the Kaiser not the Nazis. Although Hitler did serve in the German army.

• Guest locked this topic