Newcastle United v Chelsea 26/9/15 17:30 KO

Haydnator

Gary Neville:

“That’s the mentality of Newcastle as a club. They still think they’re in the mid-90s where they can go and attack everyone.
“But if you’re, say, Tony Pulis going in at West Brom or Alan Pardew going into Crystal Palace. The first thing they do against the lesser teams in the league is they accept where they are in the league and they do do that (play counter-attack).
“That crowd might have to accept that because they’re going to go out of the league if they think they can play 4-2-4, for example, against say Watford. They’re not paying respect to the other clubs in the league and that’s why they’re getting done.
“Maybe the crowd are going to have to accept that. Maybe Steve McClaren is going to sort of pull back a little back. I watched them at Old Trafford and they completely sat behind the ball. They had a couple of chances but mainly they sat behind the ball.
“Could that crowd be re-educated to thinking ‘We’re not in the right position’?

That's nonsense. We played a conservative 4-3-2-1 against Watford. How the fuck is that too attacking?

Yet more cliche bullshit about "deluded" Geordies. We haven't played gung-ho football since... well since Keegan ffs. The fans have wanted more exciting football because we've endured ineffective drudgery on the whole. In fact, we were playing pretty boring football under Hughton and we were content enough.

We're "getting done" because we've had players who aren't good enough, players who don't care enough and managers/coaches who aren't good enough.

Real shame, because I like a lot of what Neville says.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nonsense. We played a conservative 4-3-2-1 against Watford. How the fuck is that too attacking?

Yet more cliche bullshit about "deluded" Geordies. We haven't played gung-ho football since... well since Keegan ffs. The fans have wanted more exciting football because we've endured ineffective drudgery on the whole. In fact, we were playing pretty boring football under Hughton and we were content enough.

We're "getting done" because we've had players who aren't good enough, players who don't care enough and managers/coaches who aren't good enough.

Real shame, because I like a lot of what Neville says.

Remarkable for a man who seems so clued up when he does his Monday Night Football. He's obviously not watching us regularly though. Unaware that we didn't manage a shot on goal against Sheff Wed until the 80th minute. Hardly a team attacking too much and leaving gaps.

There were a lot of supporters willing the team forward and going mad that we played them 2 corners short to hold up the game late on Saturday. I was happy to see us play out the game like that while Chelsea were in the ascendency. But we've rarely been in the position to have that choice.

Total rearguard against man u and arsenal and the supporters came away from both delighted. With just 1 point and no goals.

Very happy I've been away in Thailand and didn't even see the Watford or Shef Wed disasters. Being away from all the hysteria has been much better for my mental health. I did get to see this match though and thought we were excellent. Mitrovic and Perez were superb and Mbabu really impressed (especially when he looked like he was going to be on his way out of the club without ever getting near the team).

Hopefully we can put in another performance against Citeh at the weekend to help me get over the misery of being back here!

Very happy I've been away in Thailand and didn't even see the Watford or Shef Wed disasters. Being away from all the hysteria has been much better for my mental health. I did get to see this match though and thought we were excellent. Mitrovic and Perez were superb and Mbabu really impressed (especially when he looked like he was going to be on his way out of the club without ever getting near the team).

Hopefully we can put in another performance against Citeh at the weekend to help me get over the misery of being back here!

All right! Calm down, He hasn't cured AIDS or anything.

Jesus, talk about OTT.

Yes, imagine actually wanting to win games. He's a right fucking idiot, that bloke, mind.

I think he's saying we need to copy Pardew's normal tactics against the 'big' teams which, Chelsea aside, tended to be sit in your box and receive a right fucking hammering. That's what teams like us need to accept, thanks Gary, in fact it's a disgrace teams even come out against the top sides everyone should just stay at home and give them 3 points.

He's talking absolute shite, we played well but were undone by two good pieces of play by quality players. Pieces of play they would have had more chances to make if we had just sat back like Neville suggests. Alex is right mind he's getting precious about his mate so is lashing out at the fans because it's a soft target and one that can't really answer back.

Shit, after my recent trip I was hoping he had!

PaddockLad will have your guts for garters man. This unending over-the-top praise for the lad has got way out of hand!

;)

Only just actually read the comments...

Carragher

“I couldn’t believe that corner routine in the last minute. I couldn’t believe what I was watching. That’s got to go in the box. But the crowd accept it. If that’s a team you’re expected to beat that crowd would go mad: ‘Why are you not getting that ball in the box?’ It has to go in the box.

Neville

“That’s the mentality of Newcastle as a club. They still think they’re in the mid-90s where they can go and attack everyone. I watched them at Old Trafford and they completely sat behind the ball. They had a couple of chances but mainly they sat behind the ball."

So the example of the Newcastle crowd accepting you can't attack all teams all the time leads Neville to hark back to the cliche of the 90s that the Newcastle Crowd insist on always attacking? And then to him providing another example of the club sitting back, in a performance the fans showed massive appreciation for.

I'm confused.

Only just actually read the comments...

So the example of the Newcastle crowd accepting you can't attack all teams all the time leads Neville to hark back to the cliche of the 90s that the Newcastle Crowd insist on always attacking? And then to him providing another example of the club sitting back, in a performance the fans showed massive appreciation for.

I'm confused.

I think he is too.

I suppose it must be a drain to feign informed opinion on 20 clubs, when really he probably only cares about 4 or 5. It'll be easier to reel off something trite rather than broadcasting your actual ignorance? He can't very well shrug and say "Dunno, do you wanna listen to a Genesis track for a bit instead?"

For the first goal you haven't commented on Colo turning his back and jumping out of the way.

For the second goal you clearly haven't a clue about defending a freekick.I'll now explain to you why he was to blame.He should have organised the defensive liine and told them to stay on the edge of the box until the ball was kicked.His defenders could have blocked off the opposition players running into the box although on this occasion it wasn't necessary as the ball was the keepers ball all day,or it would have been to any other keeper,including Sunday morning keepers..Krul the Coward should then have positioned himself on the 6 yard box.He would then have claimed the ball well away from the 6 yard box as no attacker would have beaten him to the ball.A freekick late in the game was quite similar.A freekick humped into the box,this time to the penalty spot,with every man and his dog either reteating or advancing at speed,before the ball was kicked.It resulted in a free header with Krul the Coward palming the ball away.If Brolly Mac or his coaches follow me on here they should take on board what i am saying to be correct,which it is as you all know,and nip this easlily solved problem in the bud by either instilling some bravery into Krul or getting rid of the cowardly twat.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way because everyone is entitled to their opinions and football is a game of opinions etc but, and I cannot stress this enough. I have forgotten more about goalkeeping than you will ever know.

It wasn't a goalkeeping error.

Sunderland.

Paul Simpson

The Steve McClaren strategy for success this season is based on a ‘six pass’ plan of keeping the ball.

The Head Coach’s assistant Paul Simpson says that this six pass idea was what underpinned the near victory over Chelsea on Saturday.

In pre-season, Simpson reveals that the players had worked with the idea of running up sequences of six or more passes which the coaching staff believed would then lead to obviously more possession (instead of trying to hit long under Alan Pardew) and hopefully more wins…

Newcastle only managed 35% possession on Saturday but certainly for the first 50 or 60 minutes they used the ball well and a lot of the time it wasn’t possession for the sake of it.

So often in the past we have seen the team in recent years pass it round and round the defence before Tim Krul would hoof it forward, instead against Chelsea it was good to see the players looking to go forward the vast majority of the time.

However, Paul Simpson says that once they went 2-0 up, the players seemingly forgot all the good things they had done to get into that two goal lead.

Paul Simpson talking to the club’s official tv channel:

“We let the reigning champions off the hook, the way we stopped doing the things that we had done in the first half was a real big disappointment.

“We had talked about where we were going wrong, we had talked to the players and asked their opinions about where we need to improve.”

Great to watch:

“We came up with a few answers and then in the first half v Chelsea we put that talk into practice. It was great to watch because it was everything about a team that we as a group of staff want to have.

“We want people who are prepared to put in tackles, play with enthusiasm, get forward, make attacking chances, defend resolutely. Mixed in with some really good football.”

Six passes good:

“Some good sequences of being in possession of the ball, we judge that on six or more passes sequences and we had a good number of those in the first half.

“Unfortunately, once we scored the second goal we appeared to forget what had got us into the position and in a way we were wishing our lives away, waiting for the whistle to go, and that is when you get caught out.”

I don't want you to take this the wrong way because everyone is entitled to their opinions and football is a game of opinions etc but, and I cannot stress this enough. I have forgotten more about goalkeeping than you will ever know.

Sunderland.

:lol:

Sunderland.

Do you mean in your opinion you have forgotten more about goalkeeping than i will ever know.