Paris

Christmas Tree

My heart bleeds for the Muslim community coping with France banning the veil. How much of a chore it must be for them to struggle with the prospect of their women's hair being seen in public.

Rather ironic coming from a country that goes on and on about liberty and freedom of this and that.

Trying to understand the other culture is the first step towards respect and thus peace. Yet you wonder why we're so fucked.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of what he says is right. Some of it is cobblers.

He does over reach in certain parts cause he doesn't have an angle on the mix. And one or two bits are wrong...But the tone of it is about right. The causality bits are correct with regard to neo-imperialism but it isn't as organized and deliberate as he makes out. The situation is in flux and the road map is moving around.

There are problems down the road and austerity is being slipped in with a good dose of fear. Fear of immigration fear of terrorism, fear of 'the other' and the acceptance of the 'new normal'. The routine is always the same.

History shows us that the biggest barrier to their insane antics is the host population and now even more with the spread of independent media and social networks. The crackdown on all this is coming.

The new surveillance powers are a sign.

Soon ole Parky won't be able to say what he thinks. Believe it baby it's coming. :lol:

Prepare yourselves. Rise my charmlings.

V-for-Vendetta-v-for-vendetta-13512443-1

Edited by Park Life

Rather ironic coming from a country that goes on and on about liberty and freedom of this and that.

Trying to understand the other culture is the first step towards respect and thus peace. Yet you wonder why we're so fucked.

Don't bite mate, I think the roids have gone to his head

I don't respect aspects of any culture that oppress someone on grounds of their sex or sexuality. Tolerance only goes so far.

Look mate, you seem like a nice lad but you are religious. And religions are all mumbo jumbo nonsense in my opinion so you'll have to forgive me for coming across like a godless kafir. Your religion just happens to be one that seems most vulnerable to interpretation and manipulation.

To address your question directly, I don't want Muslim community leaders to condem the murder of innocent civilians because it'll make me feel warm and fuzzy, or because Fox News told me to. It's because it's the right fucking thing to do.

Won't ISIS be replaced by some other iteration, as they seem* to have replaced Al Qaeda ?

*to my admittedly ill-informed eyes.

Al Q are apparently stronger than they have ever been, I heard somewhere today.

However in between taxi journeys my time has been split between Radio 5 Live and watching Homeland so contamination of facts is possible.

You don't seem to get what our values are, or more specifically what the values of France are. Your religion's values are simply at odds with that of France. Actually a lot of Muslims surveyed admit this. Freedom, equality, fraternity. Are any of those concepts embraced by Islam? Not to my mind they're not, happy for you to provide examples to the contrary like.

This thread has got fucking minging tbh.

I really don't see how. As Gloom says , aimaad genuinely seems like a nice bloke but I think it's incredibly rich of him to come on here and complain of France being intolerant!

I'm also sick of the fact it seems to be taboo to discuss these issues even on a forum as liberal as toontastic. That to me is what is minging.

Edited by Renton

I'm also sick of the fact it seems to be taboo to discuss these issues even on a forum as liberal as toontastic. That to me is what is minging.

On literally the first page of this thread you tell someone what they shouldn't be discussing.

On literally the first page of this thread you tell someone what they shouldn't be discussing.

At that time, yes, I gave my opinion that J69's comments on Cameron etc were out of order. There's a time and a place, I think he actually agreed. I thought it was crass more than anything else, including it being idiotic (thats just my opinion though).

Not sure what that's got to with the taboo that definitely exists about criticising a particular religion now though? Is it actually possible to discuss how Islam can be integrated into a secular county, and what issues are created? Or shall we just plod on and accept that causing offence is just not acceptable? Genuinely interested in this topic.v

For those that can't be bothered to look back, this is what I said:

"Not the time for this. I'm embarrassed for you."

You can read what it was in reply to yourselves and see if I was wrong or trying to censor discussion.

Police have arrested the owner of a hairdressing salon after she apparently posted on her Facebook page that Muslims were no longer welcome at her business.

The 43-year-old woman, who runs Blinks of Bicester hair salon in Oxfordshire, was arrested on Sunday after members of the public reported the posts, Thames Valley police said.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/16/salon-owner-arrested-no-muslims-facebook-post-blinks-bicester

I'd always defend the right of a racist prick to be a racist prick. Arrested? What a shambles.

Fair play to elderly Belfast proto-punks Stiff Little Fingers....

Our sincere condolences go out to everyone affected by the Parisian tragedies. The music business is often sheltered from the harsh realities of life and this weekend they have come home with a dreadful finality.

As you may know, Stiff Little Fingers are scheduled to play in Paris tomorrow evening and there is a lot of confusion around this date as shows are being cancelled or re-scheduled and so on.

When we were growing up in Belfast, I was always saddened by the fact that groups would never come and play there because of the political situation. I was deprived of another "normal" part of life.

With this in mind, and with the wonderful co-operation of our Parisian promoter, the S.L.F. show at Backstage at the Mill, WILL GO AHEAD AS ADVERTISED tomorrow night.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible.

Hanx!

Many have cancelled, for various reasons...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34826099/foo-fighters-u2-and-eagles-of-death-metal-cancel-gigs-after-paris-attacks

Don't know what I'd do, its a tricky one...

A day before Isis launched an attack on Paris, they also launched an attack on Lebanon. Nearly 50 people were killed and over 200 injured as suicide bombers launched attacks in the middle of rush hour.

One man who died, Adel Termos, did something extraordinary. When he noticed the second suicide bomber moving towards onlookers of the mosque targeted in the first explosion, he tackled him, causing his bomb to explode before he could get deeper into the crowd.

Blogger and physician Elie Fares , who lives in Beirut said: He tackled him to the ground, causing the second suicide bomber to detonate.

There are many, many families, hundreds of families probably, who owe their completeness to his sacrifice.

A day before Isis launched an attack on Paris, they also launched an attack on Lebanon. Nearly 50 people were killed and over 200 injured as suicide bombers launched attacks in the middle of rush hour.

One man who died, Adel Termos, did something extraordinary. When he noticed the second suicide bomber moving towards onlookers of the mosque targeted in the first explosion, he tackled him, causing his bomb to explode before he could get deeper into the crowd.

Blogger and physician Elie Fares , who lives in Beirut said: He tackled him to the ground, causing the second suicide bomber to detonate.

There are many, many families, hundreds of families probably, who owe their completeness to his sacrifice.

The ultimate sacrifice, what a man.

That's a heartening story.

Anyway as I was saying earlier about the schisms and misplayed hands of Isis:

1. The internal Wahhabi war: There is no war within Islam in Syria, as Thomas Friedman and his ilk keep asserting. There has been a moderate and progressive strand of Islam in Syria and many of its elements have aligned themselves with the regime. And contrary to early claims made by the hired external opposition and its advocates in the West, there was never a moderate and progressive version of Islam among the rebel groups. How could that be the case when the sponsors of Syrian rebel Islam are Turkey, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia? Mufti Hassun (although he is an ally and perhaps a tool of the regime, and even the slain Sheikh al-Buti) is far more progressive than any of his adversaries on the other side, including Mu`adh al-Khatib who has railed in the past about the ills of social media, masturbation and Jews, and who praised al-Nusrah Front early on his tenure as leader of the Syrian National Council. The internal Wahhabi war is pitting the various Wahhabi parties in the region against each other. The Saudi regime, Qatari regime, al-Qa`idah (Nusrah Front) and ISIS: all four are Wahhabi and each is trying to dominate the field of the Wahhabi movement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/asad-abukhalil/syria-proxy-wars_b_5874488.html