Newcastle United v Aston Villa (19/12/15 17:30 ko Sky)

Haydnator

Honest question, how many toontasticers go to the game any more? I was there today and honestly the rain was biblical, I was half expecting the match to be called off. Anyway, didn't think we were anywhere as near as bad as this thread suggests. For instance, de Jong's miss, put it in the context of him being half blinded and the ball being slippery as fuck. Best I've seen us play (in person) this year and no doubts to me we can secure 17th plus.. .

I go. Because I'm a fucking idiot. And I fully agree with all of this. Sissoko looked lazy again at times. Thauvin eventually deserves a start. You can see he wants to fight for a place in the team and he's impressed when he has came off the bench. Perez & Mitrovic have to start Boxing Day as well.

The law of averages was going to apply to Villa eventually. Shame it had to be today. Still think they're going down though. Two points dropped, but I would've taken 7 points from these games in a heartbeat before the Liverpool game.

Edited by Haydnator

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Thauvin put in a few good crosses after he came on, would be nice to see more of him.

Dummett was having a rough time against Hutton in the first half and it was only going to get worse as the game went on, he should have been subbed off for Mbabu even just for the fresh legs.

This might sound like I'm making excuses for the players, but i think it's hard to criticise too much in conditions like that. That amount of rain, and the effect it had on the pitch, is a great leveller. Furthermore, any sort of preparation that mclaren has done completely goes out the window because it becomes a completely different game. Yes it was a game we should have won but there were definitely mitigating circumstances, and we still had the chances to win it. Can't fault the application of anyone bar possibly sissoko. Anyway, 7 points from 3 matches, there's every chance we can beat Everton if we get the same effort and a bit of luck. I can't remember a more unlucky united manager than mclaren by the way - I hope his luck changes because he seems like a canny bloke and a serious professional, unlike some of the charlatans who have darkened our doors over the years. We need a new left back

Edited by Dickie

Regarding us, a settled side has helped the momentum. We might not win every game but we've made huge steps forward."

So fitness permitting we can look forward to Cisse and SDJ starting against Everton.

Edited by ewerk

"Best I've seen us play".

Sums the season up really, they were fucking woeful second half. Could have easily lost the game against the worst team in the league.

Pretty much nailed on they wouldn't win yesterday, they rarely do against the teams around us in the table.

It was Sunday league conditions wasn't it. Should have won but it didn't look easy to play in that rain plus it's another game to add in an unbeaten run - it isn't the worst result given how poor we were earlier the season and we have some winnable games coming up. I'm reasonably optimistic that we can climb the table a bit. It would help if the teams around us would stop winning though!

Still a couple of head scratchers in the starting line up mind. Why Dummet keeps starting games at left back is beyond me. In my too sure what mbabu did wrong to never deserve another start when he's got that lump getting picked ahead of him.

Perez and mitrovic are much more threatening than de Jong and Cisse up front too. I suppose he's keeping it as is as long as we're going unbeaten.

I go. Running down my season ticket after cancelling. When villa scored there was even a smattering of applause for it in the east stand library.

This was classic Toon. Playing to level of opposition and then unable to lift themselves when villa and the conditions both caused problems

When Thauvin came on his main impact was in commiting fouls and breaking up Toon play. Why we ditched Cabella for him is a mystery to me.

Edited by Bibble

It was Sunday league conditions wasn't it. Should have won but it didn't look easy to play in that rain plus it's another game to add in an unbeaten run - it isn't the worst result given how poor we were earlier the season and we have some winnable games coming up. I'm reasonably optimistic that we can climb the table a bit. It would help if the teams around us would stop winning though!

Jumpers for goalposts

I thought Thauvin actually looked decent on the left after coming on.

Left back has to be a priority though. Dummett is horrendous at times and Haidara has never really looked the same after that injury.

Every time a move ends up with the ball at Dummet's feet I groan because it then always breaks down. He's an old fashioned bruiser of a centre half at best. being left footed doesn't make him a left back. He's our worst in that position for years and we've had some shite play there.

Strange when left back is a weakness, we put a kid in front of the left back who offers zero support because he's not a left winger and looks out of place there compounding the left back problem. Imagine the goals we'd have shipped in the 5th place season had non left back Ryan Taylor had Gini in front of him rather than Jonas? What a club. Sick of square pegs in round holes to suit an extremely flawed transfer system.

I think there were signs at the last window some lessons had been learned but things at the club had slipped to the extent one transfer window was never going to be able to fix everything

I still don't see them prioritising need over value in their signings IMHO.

I agree that's still an issue and mentioned it earlier in the season. One eye was on resale value but he did spend a canny large amount of cash too

I agree that's still an issue and mentioned it earlier in the season. One eye was on resale value but he did spend a canny large amount of cash too

Be interesting to see the money they've pissed up the wall on the hunt for resale profit. Of course you can't win them all and even these tossers will accept that but they seem to throw millions away which they'll never get back with the likes of Riviere, Anita, Obertan, Cabella etc, (you could go on and on with this list). Let's say they double their money on Wjnaldum, will that cover the losses on the rest? What about the millions lost on league placings as well in their chase for value? For someone as keen to make profit, he seems shit hot at driving down revenues from tickets, from sponsors, from low league positions and from transfer losses. I'm coming to the conclusion that he hasn't got his head around this football carry on as CT once famously never said.

Dummett and Wijnaldum vs Coleman and Delefeou next game if McLaren doesn't sort this out.

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other week watching Everton - palace. First time I've seen delefeou but he looks like he'll have a field day down our left