Newcastle United v Aston Villa (19/12/15 17:30 ko Sky)

Haydnator

Difficult conditions for thauvin to come on in, but he looks like he's got a good cross on him. I also liked the look of de Jong, it's a pity he missed that sitter cos he was involved in some quality moments here and there. Mitrovic for me still seems a bit of a fairy - for the size of him he's very week under a challenge, but hopefully he'll learn. Id like to see de Jong and Perez start the next game

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next 3 games are

Everton (h) 26th Dec

West Brom (a) 28th Dec

Arsenal (a) 2nd Jan

3 games in 7 days I can't see this going well for us. We had a good chance of dragging ourselves out of this relegation fight yesterday instead if Swansea get 3 points against West Ham this afternoon we go into Xmas in the bottom 3. I'd hope in January we go against the current transfer policy and get some older premiership experienced players in to steady the ship & pass on their knowledge to the younger players enabling us at least to try & get to a safe place in the table. The alternative is we carry on as we are relying on other teams to do worse than us in the hope we avoid relegation.

Edited by trooper

Aye and 3 points off 13th. I can see this season's relegation battle involving almost all of the bottom half like 2012/13 was if the season carries on like this.

I honestly admire your optimism mate but we're far to erratic to finish 13th

I honestly admire your optimism mate but we're far to erratic to finish 13th

Not saying we're going to finish 13th. Far from it. At the moment we're 17th, but somehow only 3 points off 13th and I can see almost all of the bottom half this season being involved in the relegation scrap like the Europa League excuse ridden season under Pardew where we avoided relegation at QPR. Most clubs in the bottom half that year were looking at the teams behind them iirc. The same is probably going to happen if the results we've seen (Bournemouth 3 back to back wins, Norwich winning at Old Trafford etc) keeping coming through as this season continues. We're still well in the shit.

Edited by Haydnator

We definitely are in the shit there'll have been some people after the Spurs win (2 on the trot) thinking that the club was all fixed. I really wish you could have experienced "Keegan's Entertainers" what a fantastic ride that was. As long as Ashley's here there'll never be football played like that again at SJP well not in a Black & White shirt.

We definitely are in the shit there'll have been some people after the Spurs win (2 on the trot) thinking that the club was all fixed. I really wish you could have experienced "Keegan's Entertainers" what a fantastic ride that was. As long as Ashley's here there'll never be football played like that again at SJP well not in a Black & White shirt.

As much as I wish I could have, I don't think football like that that will ever be played ever again in the PL by any club. It's all (apart from a couple of teams) 4-2-3-1 defensive/counter attack bollocks now.

Edited by Haydnator

As much as I wish I could have, I don't think football like that that will ever be played ever again in the PL by any club. It's all (apart from a couple of teams) 4-2-3-1 defensive/counter attack bollocks now.

Your right I hate the 1 up top system when we play it with Cissé I get sick & tired of him getting caught off side with a big stupid grin on his face.

Good old Lousies analysis of our match from the "10 talking points from this weekends action" list

5) Festive fixtures should have afternoon kick-offs

Like reporters, supporters do not like 5.30pm kick-offs and many Newcastle fans are particularly annoyed Saturday’s teatime game against Aston Villa is followed by another 5.30pm start against Everton on Boxing Day. Judging by anecdotal evidence it seems to be disrupting all sorts of family plans on Tyneside and is far from great for travelling Everton fans. Television revenue has made the game rich beyond all measure but it has made life tougher for those who pay to watch their team live - and explains why there is unlikely to be a winter break in England. If Geordies are unhappy it is worse for Sunderland and Arsenal supporters. They kick off on the south coast at 7.45pm on 26 December while Liverpool fans must travel to Sunderland for a 7.45pm start on 30 December. That’s not ideal. Louise Taylor

I wonder if she watches matches at all

Strange when left back is a weakness, we put a kid in front of the left back who offers zero support because he's not a left winger and looks out of place there compounding the left back problem. Imagine the goals we'd have shipped in the 5th place season had non left back Ryan Taylor had Gini in front of him rather than Jonas? What a club. Sick of square pegs in round holes to suit an extremely flawed transfer system.

Was talking about this to my father on Saturday after the game. In the last two summers we've bought SDJ, Cabella, Perez, Gini and possibly even Thauvin who all want to play the number 10 role. Yet we've signed one defender and made no attempt to sign a ball playing midfielder. Even if players do ok like Gini, there's always going to be a limit to how well they can do when aren't building a proper team. Even as a excerise in trying to make money, our transfer policy is deeply flawed.

Was talking about this to my father on Saturday after the game. In the last two summers we've bought SDJ, Cabella, Perez, Gini and possibly even Thauvin who all want to play the number 10 role. Yet we've signed one defender and made no attempt to sign a ball playing midfielder. Even if players do ok like Gini, there's always going to be a limit to how well they can do when aren't building a proper team. Even as a excerise in trying to make money, our transfer policy is deeply flawed.

Was talking about this last night as well and more or less said the same as you.

Honest question, how many toontasticers go to the game any more? I was there today and honestly the rain was biblical, I was half expecting the match to be called off. Anyway, didn't think we were anywhere as near as bad as this thread suggests. For instance, de Jong's miss, put it in the context of him being half blinded and the ball being slippery as fuck. Best I've seen us play (in person) this year and no doubts to me we can secure 17th plus.. .

I still have my season ticket and really don't see that changing unless all my mates stop going (even if they up the town and stop going to the game I'd keep going).

Whilst I found it completely predictable that we didn't win the game, in those conditions it was always going to be difficult for both teams. And you have to remember we aren't a particularly good team so any time we get 7 points from 9 you have to accept its a good haul. Just a shame about the Norwich and Bournemouth reults.

I think its become clear that our gameplan under McClaren is changing.

He initially wanted us to play a 4231 and have lots of possession, build up passing. We were shit at that though.

We beat Liverpool and Spurs playing a counter attacking game that suited us, Sissoko (when arsed) can power a counter attack brilliantly as can Wijnaldum who also has a nack for making the right run off the ball in that situation.

Counter attacking won't work at home (and odd cases away) against smaller sides though we need something else but we're still a work in progress since he's binned his initial plan.

We played well enough to get the win against Villa but I think, for similar matches in future, We should start with Mitro on instead of Cisse, De Jong needs game time after having horrific luck so far for us regarding injuries and seems to provide some sort of leadership that we lack otherwise so keep him in for now, put Wijnaldum in the middle with one of Anita or Colback and play Perez or Thauvin on the left wing (with Mitro on I think I'd prefer Thauvin, he played some excellent crosses this weekend.

I think its become clear that our gameplan under McClaren is changing.

He initially wanted us to play a 4231 and have lots of possession, build up passing. We were shit at that though.

We beat Liverpool and Spurs playing a counter attacking game that suited us, Sissoko (when arsed) can power a counter attack brilliantly as can Wijnaldum who also has a nack for making the right run off the ball in that situation.

Counter attacking won't work at home (and odd cases away) against smaller sides though we need something else but we're still a work in progress since he's binned his initial plan.

We played well enough to get the win against Villa but I think, for similar matches in future, We should start with Mitro on instead of Cisse, De Jong needs game time after having horrific luck so far for us regarding injuries and seems to provide some sort of leadership that we lack otherwise so keep him in for now, put Wijnaldum in the middle with one of Anita or Colback and play Perez or Thauvin on the left wing (with Mitro on I think I'd prefer Thauvin, he played some excellent crosses this weekend.

Anyone else notice that Wijnaldum's got a serious burst of pace? Barely uses it once or twice in a match usually but he can be absolutely rapid when he wants to be. Might be a reason for McClaren putting him on the wing. But I agree about the center of the park. At home at the very least. Thauvin has looked up for it in his last couple of appearance's and does have a good cross in him. Worth giving him some game time.

I'd go 4-3-3 with a Centre of Tiote, Sissoko and Wijni. Then have Thauvin, Perez on the wings and Mitro up top.

That could work. McClaren is obsessed with the Anita/Colback axis of sideway passing though

I think I'd be keen to see wijnaldum in the middle at the expense of colback or Anita vs Everton, with thauvin on the wing. It leaves our centre even softer than it already is, but it's not like that colback Anita partnership has been hard to play through anyway, so we're not losing too much. He who dares wins and all that