Yes Gemmill...

catmag

I remember you mentioning that ages ago now I think about it, SpongeBob. Knowing her I mean. St. Etienne’s cover of Only Love Can Break Your Heart was quality (as was Weatherall’s remix of it) 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Frank Farian, the mastermind behind Boney M (and, of course, Milli Vanilli :lol: )

Ra-Ra- :rip:

How do we know he’s actually dead and not just miming? 

• Haha 3

His list of the best albums of 2023 is basically a long list of stuff next to no one will have listened to. I think I'd heard of about 5 of the artists listed. 

I'm gonna work my way through the list and see, but I smell a musical cork-sniffer. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How do we know he’s actually dead and not just miming? 

I checked with the medical examiner. He told me "girl, you know it's true". 

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I checked with the medical examiner. He told me "girl, you know it's true". 

I heard when they opened him up he had no heart at all. 
No no, no heart at all. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

10 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Even though I wasn't tagged I'll tell you.

Zero, nada, zilch zip. 

Likewise, even though I wasn't tagged, only one and I doubt it's the one people think.

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sammynb said:

Likewise, even though I wasn't tagged, only one and I doubt it's the one people think.

Entroducing. Or Disraeli Gears. They’re basically the same album tbf :cuppa: 

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s the complete works of Zappa 👍🏻

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well he did say it’s not the one we’d expect 🤷🏻‍♂️ :lol: 

I can’t remember knowingly listening to a single note of Frank Zappa but as being very partial to  Mark & Lard’s night time show in the 90s am fairly sure I must have, seem to remember Lard being a huge fan..

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Nope

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do I look like Monkey Fist ffs?

I think I was about 12 when I bought it and cream can get to fuck as well, so it's not that shite.

As others have said, putting Screamadelica is just courting controversy.

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

:lol: Well of course he is he’s an ex melody maker journo, that was basically his job … 

Not like Scotty to listen to anything not on commercial radio/TOTP

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Nope

Do I look like Monkey Fist ffs?

I think I was about 12 when I bought it and cream can get to fuck as well, so it's not that shite.

As others have said, putting Screamadelica is just courting controversy.

I was joking btw ;) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Wickes vs B&Q is your Blur vs Oasis. 

The night they both played Bournemouth we fielded late calls from the females in our loose peer group to go over and see what was going on  in town (10 mins by bus) in order to sit around in someone’s flat  “smoking bong” as am told the young people call it nowadays :cuppa: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Wickes vs B&Q is your Blur vs Oasis. 

Never saw Oasis and only saw Blur when they were first support on the JMC Rollercoaster tour at the Brixton Academy.

Who would thunk the first band for Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine, turned out to be as successful as they were?

Mind you in 92, they'd only released Leisure and were considered shoegaze.

7 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Never saw Oasis and only saw Blur when they were first support on the JMC Rollercoaster tour at the Brixton Academy.

Who would thunk the first band for Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine, turned out to be as successful as they were?

Mind you in 92, they'd only released Leisure and were considered shoegaze.

I went to the Manchester leg of the Rollercoaster tour, the Apollo I  think. At the time I was a Rick like character (hard to believe, I know) doing ENTS at Liverpool University so saw dozens of bands, at least 3 a week. I do remember going to the post gig party for Blur and chatting briefly to Albarn who I thought was one handsome devil. Don't remember their music at all from then though. I can get away with some of Albarn's stuff today and actually really like the Good, the Bad, and the Queen. Merryland was a great album, captured Brexit Britain perfectly. They toured some tiny gigs around here but alas I couldn't get a ticket. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

actually really like the Good, the Bad, and the Queen.

Let's be honest Paul Simonon is what makes TG,TB,TU, Albarn is just along for the ride.

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

I went to the Manchester leg of the Rollercoaster tour, the Apollo I  think. At the time I was a Rick like character (hard to believe, I know) doing ENTS at Liverpool University so saw dozens of bands, at least 3 a week. I do remember going to the post gig party for Blur and chatting briefly to Albarn who I thought was one handsome devil. Don't remember their music at all from then though. I can get away with some of Albarn's stuff today and actually really like the Good, the Bad, and the Queen. Merryland was a great album, captured Brexit Britain perfectly. They toured some tiny gigs around here but alas I couldn't get a ticket. 

Iirc Blur’s biggest song from their early days was ‘There’s No Other Way’. Class pop song Tbf 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Let's be honest Paul Simonon is what makes TG,TB,TU, Albarn is just along for the ride.

It's an interesting collaboration. Think Albarn is probably credited more than Simonson for the actual music writing though, lyrics in particular. WOuld have like to have seen them in the local club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Iirc Blur’s biggest song from their early days was ‘There’s No Other Way’. Class pop song Tbf 

Yeah, that rings a bell.