Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand raising your game for the Olympics. It does seem odd that they're not even competitive at the world championships.

They topped the medal table at the WC in March?

They topped the medal table at the WC in March?

i know next to nowt about cycling. just repeating what the likes of vogel and meares have been saying. they're the ones pointing the finger, all i'm saying is it does sound remarkable in this context. 

anna meares: “The British are just phenomenal when it comes to the Olympic Games, and we’re all just scratching our heads going: ‘How do they lift so much when in so many events they have not even been in contention in the world championships?’

Kristina Vogel, who won gold with the German team sprint squad in London in 2012, told German media "I don’t want to accuse anyone of anything, but it’s certainly questionable. They come en masse at this high level and I have no idea how they do it.”

At previous competitions since London 2012 the Brits were “cannon fodder”, she said. “I don’t know if they didn’t train for three years. They must be doing something right.”

i know next to nowt about cycling. just repeating what the likes of vogel and meares have been saying. they're the ones pointing the finger, all i'm saying is it does sound remarkable in this context. 

anna meares: “The British are just phenomenal when it comes to the Olympic Games, and we’re all just scratching our heads going: ‘How do they lift so much when in so many events they have not even been in contention in the world championships?’

Kristina Vogel, who won gold with the German team sprint squad in London in 2012, told German media "I don’t want to accuse anyone of anything, but it’s certainly questionable. They come en masse at this high level and I have no idea how they do it.”

At previous competitions since London 2012 the Brits were “cannon fodder”, she said. “I don’t know if they didn’t train for three years. They must be doing something right.”

Why's it odd? I.e. peaking for a major event every four years. The World Championships are every year so, even apart from the funding being based on Olympic success, they are obviously going to be less important than the Olympics. Also, Kristina Vogel won bronze in the sprint at this year's World Championship and won gold at the Olympics so, using her own yardstick, her performance is clearly 'questionable', no?

Its all about Beetroot Juice and Fluffy pillows.  The Aussies will catch on soon ;)

Well they used to win more medals than us so they must have been doped up before.

Why's it odd? I.e. peaking for a major event every four years. The World Championships are every year so, even apart from the funding being based on Olympic success, they are obviously going to be less important than the Olympics. Also, Kristina Vogel won bronze in the sprint at this year's World Championship and won gold at the Olympics so, using her own yardstick, her performance is clearly 'questionable', no?

peaking for the big event isn't odd, it only sounds questionable if they fail turn up for any of the other events between - you'd think they would be competing at a consistent level, even if they're not winning every annual tournament. 

again, i should qualify that by saying i have no idea how they've performed in the other events in the intervening years as i don't really follow the cycling outside of these games, just going on what the, possibly bitter, beaten rivals are saying. 

and i'm suspicious of cycling generally. it's *allegedly* as dirty as athletics. 

not that i don't want to bask in the glow of our success. the last couple of nights viewing from the velodrome have been absolutely enthralling. never been a big fan of cycling as a spectacle but have been gripped by Team GB's dominance of the sport. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

again, i should qualify that by saying i have no idea how they've performed in the other events in the intervening years as i don't really follow the cycling outside of these games, just going on what the, possibly bitter, beaten rivals are saying.

:anguish:

Every single track rider got a medal for GB

Not shabby at all

that bird who got the bonze in the sprint last night would have been gutted if she'd ended up being the only one who failed to chalk one up.  

Ridiculous patter in this thread mind. If we're winning at anything, we have to be doping. Despite a total lack of any evidence go support it. Just enjoy the success ffs. If you can't believe any performance you see in sport, it's time to turn the telly off.