Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

Suspect the Rio boo-boys are going to love this one.

(That's boo-boys.)

What about the pole vault (as you allude to)? They won and they still booed the French lad. Poor form

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's it odd? I.e. peaking for a major event every four years. The World Championships are every year so, even apart from the funding being based on Olympic success, they are obviously going to be less important than the Olympics. Also, Kristina Vogel won bronze in the sprint at this year's World Championship and won gold at the Olympics so, using her own yardstick, her performance is clearly 'questionable', no?

Aye, cheeky as fuck from Vogel. She's got thighs bigger than Roberto Carlos' so I reckon she must be on something too.

Ridiculous patter in this thread mind. If we're winning at anything, we have to be doping. Despite a total lack of any evidence go support it. Just enjoy the success ffs. If you can't believe any performance you see in sport, it's time to turn the telly off.

it was vogel and meares' pretty inflammatory comments that piqued my interest. i'm still keen to know what any genuine cycling fans on here who actually know something about the sport think. is it pure sour grapes, or could there be something there? i have no idea. i've never been a massive fan before these games of the cycling but have loved watching it in the last few days. the veiled doping accusations by those two didn't spoil my enjoyment of it. it's added to the intrigue if anything. 

and regarding the suspicion of dirty athletes, it's regrettably just the age we live in innit - we're in an era of state sponsored doping ffs. 

If only that was true.

The CX, MTB & BMX hardly get fuck all of that money.  Its mostly track and a little bit road. We have some superb talent at U23 for the MTB yet we have only sent one rider to Rio.  Wouldnt it have been wise to send some of the youngsters to get experience ready

for Tokyo?

We have superb Marathon MTB rider, Sally Bigham.  She won Leadville 100 last week a brutal 100 mile race in Colorado.  She won the womens and took 16th overall beating TDF rider Laurens Tem Dam in the process.  She has won numerous MTB Marathon world champs, she was 3rd a month ago on it too.  She has had FUCK ALL money from BC over this, yet she is one of the most successful MTB riders we have ever had.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the hockey last night, decent game and decent wank material.

They prioritise track cos it's more controllable though, don't they? So there's more of a "guarantee" of a medal. Harsh on the mountain bikers, but you can understand it from a strict return on investment point of view.

They prioritise track cos it's more controllable though, don't they? So there's more of a "guarantee" of a medal. Harsh on the mountain bikers, but you can understand it from a strict return on investment point of view.

Oh aye.  Plus, its televised a lot more = more sponsorship & lottery money.  Same with the Yellow Jumper.  Lets not pretend Sky are separate from BC now.

FWIW The MTB is on at the weekend.  Think the womens is first on Saturday and the blokes on Sunday.

The Womens should be a cracking race with Jolanda Neff flying in the World Cups.  She race the Road Race and was up there near the end, she came in with Armitsteads group.  We dont have any women there, but other women to look at are Emily Batty from Canada, Annika Langvad from Denmark and current World Champion, Cathareine Pendral also Canada and Pauline Ferrand Prevot from France.

The mens, well, this should be class.  For one, Sagan is racing it.  Also Grant Ferguson is racing for GB.  His first year at full level, he was mint at U23 and has done well since going to full Elites.  Multiple British National Champ.  The others to look for.  Well, serious MTB Royalty.  Nino Schurter has to be fave for me.  He is immense.  Julian Absalon from France another option.  He's a true LEGEND of the sport.  Multiple WC winner, multiple world cup winner and on the podium in the last two olympics.

Cannot wait!

Anyone think we're likely to pick up any more golds? I'm judging success in the games based on whether or not we can stay ahead of China...

We're basically guaranteed a gold in the 470 sailing, and you'd assume Farah will have a good shot in the 5,000m. Not sure about anything else. Women's hockey I suppose, but the Netherlands should be too good for GB there.

Anyone think we're likely to pick up any more golds? I'm judging success in the games based on whether or not we can stay ahead of China...

Triathlon could be a GB 1 and 2 I think.

No idea otherwise.