Newcastle United have completed the signing of Arsenal defender Isaac Hayden.

The 21-year-old, who can also play in midfield, has agreed a five-year deal at St. James' Park and has joined up with Magpies' on their training camp in Ireland.

Hayden came up through the ranks at Arsenal before making his debut in September 2013 in a League Cup tie against West Bromwich Albion.

The England Under-20 international spent last season on loan at Hull City, making 24 appearances as the Tigers won promotion from the Championship via the play-offs.

"Newcastle is a massive football club and to be given the opportunity to come here and progress my career is fantastic," said Hayden.

"Being at Arsenal was a great experience, I learnt a lot there and have a lot to thank them for, but I needed to move on and so when Newcastle came in for me I jumped at the chance.

"I am still young but I want to get as many games under my belt as I can and help the team bounce back to the Premier League."

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez added: "We continue with our plan to bring in players who are hungry to succeed and prove themselves, which Isaac really is.

"He is also a player who can play in different positions, which is very useful.

"Isaac is a young, strong English player with fantastic potential but also with some experience already of the Championship. We welcome him to the Club."

I've never seen anything of him but I quite like the sound of this signing. Bruce seemed to be keen on him and most Arsenal fans I've heard don't seem to be too happy with letting him go.

I'm also impressed that as a club we knew anything about him. Players like Gayle and Ritchie are more obvious having played in the premier league and Rafa's Spanish connection is obviously how the Jesus deal has come about but this deal seems to have required a lot more thought. Not something we're usually good at. We really do seem to have a new Newcastle United this summer and it's really refreshing to see.

Where does he actually play then? Is he a full back or Centre back?

Last season on loan to Hull was basically his first professional season and he played defensive midfield so I presume that's his natural position. He's capable at playing at centre back and full back which is useful

He's talked in the past about Viera being the player he modelled himself on so it looks like defensive midfield his is main position. Hearing mixed messages about whether it's right or centre back he can also play. Possibly it's both.

Interesting to see that we're signing players who are handy in a few different areas. This lad can play at the back or midfield, Ritchie and Jesus can play on either side. It's a long old season so I imagine we'll be seeing plenty of rotation. It's a refreshing change from signing the likes of Thauvin who appeared to be able to play nowhere.

'Is he any good, we continue to sign players i dont know much about. Obviously aware of Gale and Ritchie, but no real knowledge of Hayden?'

'Has the potential to become a very good player and with you giving him a 5yr deal your manager appear to think the same, all the best for the coming season.'

'At Championship level he will do a good job for you. And he's young, so will have a decent sell on price.'

He didn't get as much game time for us as he should have done, he's a tidy player.

For the people who can't be bothered to open the link

From the little interviews I have listened to the kid seems down to earth and level headed. Seems to be getting some decent well wishes from coaches, players etc.

Him and Lascelles the spine of a young, hungry but grounded squad? :good: