Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

Sorry I don't have a subscription. :lol:

Yeah old tech but at least it is something that can be considered air support if only for 1 mission only

Screenshot_20220301-215626_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh Mig-29s. I’m not sure what the Russians are flying but they don’t seem great either.

The Russians haven't brought in their fifth generation fighters into play yet.

The same with their standing army they have largely been conscripts and from the East.

They have held back their strongest assets and I don't know why.

3 minutes ago, Ken said:

The same with their standing army they have largely been conscripts and from the East.

I’d guess it’s because they are waiting for us to join in. 

Edited by trophyshy

37 minutes ago, Ken said:

Not sure if this is accurate but I have read that Poland are going to  allow Ukraine to use their airfields with the planes they are acquiring. The stakes are going up.

Won't happen, that would make Polish airfields a legitimate target for Putin's Luftwaffe

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Won't happen, that would make Polish airfields a legitimate target for Putin's Luftwaffe

I agree and made that point.

10 minutes ago, Ken said:

Maybe it'll be because they have actually tried to do this with minimal force to avoid looking bad and/or also because there is a hearts and minds battle to be had here given they're supposed to be wanting regime change and the reunification of Ukraine with Russia. If they go in and flatten everything then it's going to be a hard sell to the Ukrainian people that they're the liberators here, not that I can see any angle for that narrative at this point whatsoever.

That's the best I've got anyway.

I believe they really thought (by they, I mean Putin) that Ukraine would keel over, or be rolled over, as they did in 2014/Crimea.

Ukraine changed immeasurably since then and so initial Russian wheels have come off.

The Russian military is extremely artillery centric, my concern (and it appears it's starting to happen) is as this goes on he'll start just levelling cities. How long we can stand by if/when that happens is the question.

Whatever happens when Russia takes Kyiv etc. (it's sadly inevitable short of Putin being toppled) there's going to years of insurgency/guerilla warfare.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

How many 5th generation fighters do Russia actually have? I can’t see it being too many.

Not many. Not that I believe what Wikipedia says  but 14 and 10 are prototypes. Who knows...

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

Not many. Not that I believe what Wikipedia says  but 14 and 10 are prototypes. Who knows...

SU57, aye between 10-14 evidently. Doubt he'd use them, risk of loss and one getting "found" by NATO too great, also the NATO spyplanes watching Ukraine from Polish/Bulgarian airspace would collect loads of intel on them - radar signatures(tiny)/countermeasures etc.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Christ that was hard to watch.

this thing is starting to make my feel physically sick. it's hard to see any good outcomes 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

this thing is starting to make my feel physically sick. it's hard to see any good outcomes 

There is no good outcome outside of toppling Putin somehow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

And that needs to come from within Russia, if done externally and Russian public opinion shifts or hardens, we're all fucked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

Could only happen from the inside. Oligarchs universally turn on him  and it filters down from there

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fucking hell I remember being a young kid and getting a dressing down like that by teacher it seldom happens to adults, let alone statesmen.

Depressing that this is what the UK has come to

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

And that needs to come from within Russia, if done externally and Russian public opinion shifts or hardens, we're all fucked.

Yep

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Fucking hell I remember being a young kid and getting a dressing down like that by teacher it seldom happens to adults, let alone statesmen.

Depressing that this is what the UK has come to

What can he do without escalating everything?