President Biden

Happy Face

I mean I'll agree on some of that. Obama had children in cages too, the outrage about that was annoying. But then Trump did make his entire election campaign about building walls and stopping immigration, so he made the rod for his own back in terms of the hysteria about it.

Trump was elected off the back of a series of very fascist sounding statements it has to be said. "Lock her up" was one of them. The nazi comparisons were again, self inflicted to an extent. Not saying the media didn't gleefully dive headlong into it, but still.

The very fine people on both sides line idk. Were there any non-KKK even there? This was a rally screaming about Jews and holding flaming torches wasn't it..? What type of "fine person" would attend such a thing?

I will concede that I do think he said that without thinking about it.

Unsure on the Mexican rapist point, don't recall that being discussed in a big way on here.

What do you think about him inciting people to storm the capital? I cannot believe any right thinking republican could support such a thing. If BLM did it people would be calling out for mass firing squads.

13 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

he got elected and then the media tried to make out he was trying to turn the country into Nazi germany.

he was supposedly anti immigrant when he was only anti illegal immigrant (that term having now been replaced with the Orwellian “undocumented immigrant”)

he was supposed to have called the KKK types “very fine people” when in reality he only said there were very fine people along with the KKK types

he was supposed to have said that Mexicans were rapists when really he was referring to the high percentage of Mexican criminals who regularly crossed the border unhindered

his whole immigration policy was basically the same as Obama’s but the media managed to get everyone in the world triggered

CxNS.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

ok, i'll bite. 

in what way was trump misquoted or misrepresented? he was a dangerous cretin. that was plain to see. and it had zero to do with so-called media manipulation and everything to do with his verbal diarrhoea 

I would bite but I really can't be arsed. From the outside looking in he was a disastrous embarrassment for the US which would only be eclipsed by bringing him back. 

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

image.png.df3950d646397e7ff2473d98b1d4e4bd.png

image.png.e1a46a3497f1665bd55d4097f31d0fd0.png

"fine people"

Believe whatever you like.

there are people who want to go back to slavery and there are people who don’t want their history and culture to be forcibly rewritten and they aren’t the same.

35 minutes ago, ewerk said:

'They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists'.

Aye, very easy to misconstrue what he was saying.

You’re just repeating the same spin.

He was saying that those type of people were crossing the border unchecked and it’s true. The media spun it into “President Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists” and gullible people believed it.

4 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Believe whatever you like.

there are people who want to go back to slavery and there are people who don’t want their history and culture to be forcibly rewritten and they aren’t the same.

I mean, a history and culture of white supremacy isn't exactly something to be proud of. 

*Asks nervously* Is it?

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

You’re just repeating the same spin.

He was saying that those type of people were crossing the border unchecked and it’s true. The media spun it into “President Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists” and gullible people believed it.

I didn't put any spin on it. I just typed out exactly what he said word for word. How is that spin?

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I mean, a history and culture of white supremacy isn't exactly something to be proud of. 

*Asks nervously* Is it?

Of course not but like Churchill now being rebranded as a “genocider” in India, history is complex.

If you happen to believe that Churchill is a national hero for his role in WW2, then changing hearts and minds is a complicated process.

Just pulling down statues just creates a volatile reaction

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

*Asks nervously* Is it?

There wasa European guy who championed ideology along those lines around 90 years ago. Wonder what became of him? 

3 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Of course not but like Churchill now being rebranded as a “genocider” in India, history is complex.

If you happen to believe that Churchill is a national hero for his role in WW2, then changing hearts and minds is a complicated process.

Just pulling down statues just creates a volatile reaction

Racism isn't the first time that comes to mind. It is when you think of the confederacy.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I didn't put any spin on it. I just typed out exactly what he said word for word. How is that spin?

He said “they’re not sending us their finest… they’re sending their rapists” meaning that the people who come through illegally are not generally the people you want coming into your country unchecked.

I mean I get that he could have phrased it better and I’m not defending how he said it but it’s a massive stretch to report that he said that all Mexicans are rapists

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You know, I just don't think you have the intelligence it takes to be an effective WUM.

Andrew, how much extra per month for an upgrade on the wumbot?

Not everyone who disagrees with you is trying to wind you up… 

Jesus :lol: 

I bet you race people at the lights don’t you

Edited by Asprilla

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Racism isn't the first time that comes to mind. It is when you think of the confederacy.

It was at the time… but since then has become a shared culture. Food, music, heritage etc. There were black people who were against pulling down those statues too.

If you wear Hugo Boss you’re not saying you endorse Nazism.

I have no particular problem with re-evaluating history and I can see that having statues honouring slave owners (Colston in Bristol being the obvious example) that they probably should go but people don’t usually appreciate when their culture is condensed down into a binary position and then ripped down without consent.

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

He's making the assertion that either you're lacking in intelligence or on the wind up.

If anything, he's trying to be polite. 

And I’m making the counter assertion that it’s equally dumb to think that Trump said that all Mexicans are rapists

People don’t notice when their own bias is being pandered or catered to, it’s like thinking you don’t have an accent

If you want to lap up all the stories that claim Trump waited his whole life to wreak his racist agenda on the planet then go for it.

2 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

It was at the time… but since then has become a shared culture. Food, music, heritage etc. There were black people who were against pulling down those statues too.

If you wear Hugo Boss you’re not saying you endorse Nazism.

I have no particular problem with re-evaluating history and I can see that having statues honouring slave owners (Colston in Bristol being the obvious example) that they probably should go but people don’t usually appreciate when their culture is condensed down into a binary position and then ripped down without consent.

I'll agree with this but is that what that particular protest was about? I honestly can't remember but the optics of it were horrific and I'm really struggling to imagine that any 'decent' people would have associated themselves with it as soon as it became clear what it was looking like.

There does need to be a measured debate around culture and the legacies of key figures and I can understand both sides to the extent that if your ancestors were enslaved by people who now have statues set up of them in key public areas, you'll probably find that oppressive in the extreme. And offensive. But on the other hand, if you've been brought up being told how great all these people were and how many hospitals they built, you're not going to easily be able to go straight to the nuanced position.

The only caveat on that latter point is that obviously some of us do go straight to that nuanced position. So why am I able to re-evaluate these statues and others are not - what distinguishes me from them in this sense? One or the other of us lacks something. 

I’m not trolling at all.

You are welcome to find the clip of him saying all Mexicans are rapists. Should be easy enough right?

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

A Newcastle forum seems like the ideal place to suggest that people are unaware of having an accent

Lol fair